Author Topic: Texas election poses test of Trump's power over GOP  (Read 1399 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Texas election poses test of Trump's power over GOP
« on: May 01, 2021, 01:00:17 pm »
Texas election poses test of Trump's power over GOP
By Tal Axelrod - 04/30/21 05:23 PM EDT

A special House election in Texas on Saturday is shaping up to be the first major test of former President Trump’s sway among Republicans as the GOP fights to keep a seat in a rapidly diversifying suburban district.

Trump has thrown his weight behind Susan Wright, a conservative activist who is running in a crowded field in Texas’s 6th Congressional District to replace her husband, the late Rep. Ron Wright (R), who died in February after contracting the coronavirus.

Susan Wright is running against 22 Republicans and Democrats in a district that has been in GOP hands since 1983 but that has become increasingly competitive in recent years. Trump won the suburban district, which includes some of the Dallas suburbs and the city of Arlington, by 12 points in 2016, only to see his margin of victory drop to 3 points in 2020.

“Because it is so fresh, he is so recently out of office, yeah, it could tell us how deep really the Trump enthusiasm goes,” said veteran Texas GOP strategist Corbin Casteel.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/551257-texas-election-poses-test-of-trumps-power-over-gop
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Texas election poses test of Trump's power over GOP
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 02:08:59 pm »
No avoiding a runoff but Susan Wright will be the eventual winner.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:44:53 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Longiron

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 02:59:43 pm »
No avoiding a runoff but Susan Write will be the eventual winner.

Don't bet on it ! Conservatives are done with the HOPIUM Republican Party and TRUMP not the influence he thinks he is? Why do you think the rallies are starting up? His popularity falling and people done with the RINO Party and they need the RINO party to keep the UNIPARTY Alive and well. TRUMP is just keeping the REPUBLICAN HOPIUM alive but will not get reelected. Better people out there , start with DeSantis of FL. :patriot:

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 04:01:04 pm »
Don't bet on it ! Conservatives are done with the HOPIUM Republican Party and TRUMP not the influence he thinks he is? Why do you think the rallies are starting up? His popularity falling and people done with the RINO Party and they need the RINO party to keep the UNIPARTY Alive and well. TRUMP is just keeping the REPUBLICAN HOPIUM alive but will not get reelected. Better people out there , start with DeSantis of FL. :patriot:

I think you will see in the end Trump endorse DeSantis.  But without Trump, there is no DeSantis.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 04:13:19 pm »

Trump’s popularity clearly is not failing...as he is the one who is leading the fight against the old establishment RINO’s. As for DeSantis, he is fantastic and will make a worthy number 2 in 2024 and successor to the MAGA movement leadership thereafter. Trump and DeSantis...and there wing of the conservative movement...ARE the party’s future and they are fully at war with the NT/RINO crowd...a fight they are winning.

What you call the HOPIUM Republicans ARE that NeverTrump Rino bunch...they are one and the same in electoral terms.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 04:23:12 pm »
Why isn't anything a test for the Fraudulent One for the brain trust at The Hill?

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 04:24:54 pm »
Trump’s popularity clearly is not failing...as he is the one who is leading the fight against the old establishment RINO’s. As for DeSantis, he is fantastic and will make a worthy number 2 in 2024 and successor to the MAGA movement leadership thereafter. Trump and DeSantis...and there wing of the conservative movement...ARE the party’s future and they are fully at war with the NT/RINO crowd...a fight they are winning.

What you call the HOPIUM Republicans ARE that NeverTrump Rino bunch...they are one and the same in electoral terms.

DeSantis as number 2 in 2024 sets up the MAGA wing of the party for the next 12 years.  I can live this this.   happy77

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 04:48:59 pm »
When I read "Trump's power over GOP" I knew the source was probably The SHill.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 08:23:52 pm »
------------------------
A reflection.
There are much larger issues and far more involved, given the current matters roiling our
nation, yet the "usual suspects" will eternally gravitate to their fave neurosis; POLITICS and
at the top of their list will always be someone like Trump; how predictable!!!
History's hustlers have always needed, yet found, willing devotees, in order to have their
way and the results have always been tragic.
Grigori Rasputin comes to mind, who mesmerized the Czarina, accelerating the end of the
Romanov Dynasty, their execution and the transformation of Russia into a Marxist Dictatorship
which inflicted at least 50,000,000 deaths among Mankind over the last century.
Consider a moment. We chose Jefferson, Madison and Monroe among our first 5 Leaders.
Now compare any of them to our last 5!

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 12:15:39 am »
------------------------
A reflection.
There are much larger issues and far more involved, given the current matters roiling our
nation, yet the "usual suspects" will eternally gravitate to their fave neurosis; POLITICS and
at the top of their list will always be someone like Trump; how predictable!!!
History's hustlers have always needed, yet found, willing devotees, in order to have their
way and the results have always been tragic.
Grigori Rasputin comes to mind, who mesmerized the Czarina, accelerating the end of the
Romanov Dynasty, their execution and the transformation of Russia into a Marxist Dictatorship
which inflicted at least 50,000,000 deaths among Mankind over the last century.
Consider a moment. We chose Jefferson, Madison and Monroe among our first 5 Leaders.
Now compare any of them to our last 5!

Your...apparently...trying to draw parallels between President Trump and people like Rasputin...which is absurd on its face. Further, your use of the term "devotees" is used to demean those who support the President and the Make America great movement by delivering a connotation of blind obeisance to an individual. In doing both of these things, you are demonstrating your utter lack of the MAGA movement and of history generally. The president's supporters support him because he fights for conservatism...and makes no apologies for just how great this nation is. Much as men followed Jefferson, Washington and Franklin as they fought to defeat an establishment and restore genuine freedom to a misrepresented and demeaned people...President Trump is a continuation of that great striving for freedom. He is the antithesis of a Rasputin and molded of the same clay as those great early Revolutionaries who made our Republic a model for the world. Like the Founding Fathers, he is flawed and often too extreme in his passions...and yet, like them, he fights. That is why WE support him...that is why 90% of conservatives/Republicans supported his presidency...and that is why he is without doubt the leader we need in our present crisis.

You have a personalized hatred of the man...we get it. Sadly, that hatred obliterates your ability to reason and make sound arguments. Perhaps a weekend at a spa or some meditiation would be helpful.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2021, 04:14:30 am »
Your...apparently...trying to draw parallels between President Trump and people like Rasputin...which is absurd on its face. Further, your use of the term "devotees" is used to demean those who support the President and the Make America great movement by delivering a connotation of blind obeisance to an individual. In doing both of these things, you are demonstrating your utter lack of the MAGA movement and of history generally. The president's supporters support him because he fights for conservatism...and makes no apologies for just how great this nation is. Much as men followed Jefferson, Washington and Franklin as they fought to defeat an establishment and restore genuine freedom to a misrepresented and demeaned people...President Trump is a continuation of that great striving for freedom. He is the antithesis of a Rasputin and molded of the same clay as those great early Revolutionaries who made our Republic a model for the world. Like the Founding Fathers, he is flawed and often too extreme in his passions...and yet, like them, he fights. That is why WE support him...that is why 90% of conservatives/Republicans supported his presidency...and that is why he is without doubt the leader we need in our present crisis. You have a personalized hatred of the man...we get it. Sadly, that hatred obliterates your ability to reason and make sound arguments. Perhaps a weekend at a spa or some meditation would be helpful.
---------------------------
Fair enough, as it's an opinion Forum, all are entitled; yet a few rejoinders.
* Trump conjures up the Charlatan which reminded me of Rasputin. Nothing more.
* Nothing negative about being a devotee, as long as one's principles are virtuous.
* In essence, MAGA is driven by politics, the very last ism plain people need, given
the turmoil raging across our nation; in my judgement.
* As for Trump's "conservatism" doubt he can even spell the word.
* As for our Founders, subconsciously they understood that our Heritage/Legacy
was birthed by Great Britain; despite our fight for independence; a point of history
Russell Kirk made often.
* My rejection of Trump is not driven by hatred, rather it's contempt for the plain
and simple reason that at his core Trump is little more that another political
hustler, as are all politicians.
History accurately labels Greece and Rome as Birth Fathers of Western Civilization.
While they accepted different forms of governance during their 1,200 years of Rule,
both the Greek Assembly and the Roman Senate represented the essence of their governance. As such attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments were enforced
and those ignoring these rules were shown the door.
The embarrassments we call leaders wouldn't even get in the door of the Athenian
Assembly or Roman Senate!

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 04:56:05 am by Absalom »

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2021, 02:30:38 pm »
Paging Liz Cheney, please pick up the white courtesy phone .... (watch his campaign video)

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec

Never Trumper got 3%

Michael Wood for Congress
@michaelwoodtx   · Apr 5

My name is Michael Wood. I'm a conservative Republican running for #TX06 in the special election on May 1. I'm in this race to #RestoreOurGOP and I'm asking for your vote.

Video:

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1388849744391311364

9:35 AM · May 2, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1388849744391311364

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2021, 02:36:11 pm »
 pointing-up

OpenSecrets.org
@OpenSecretsDC

The first test for Rep. @AdamKinzinger's "Country First" PAC will come in Texas, where he is supporting candidate Michael Wood in the 23-way special election for #TX06

Anti-Trump group started by Rep. Adam Kinzinger faces 1st test in Texas special election
Rep. Adam Kinzinger's group could provide a blueprint for other anti-Trump Republicans -- if his candidate turns out support in a May 1 House race.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/anti-trump-group-started-rep-adam-kinzinger-faces/story?id=77279088

7:31 PM · Apr 26, 2021·TweetDeck

https://twitter.com/OpenSecretsDC/status/1386825166357897216

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2021, 02:57:17 pm »
Dr. Interracial Flag of United States
@sandyleevincent

I bet @FrankLuntz had Michael Woods polling at 90%.

Jack Posobiec
@JackPosobiec   · 2h

Never Trump candidate Michael Wood gets 3% in TX special election

Trump-endorsed candidate came in #1

8:42 AM · May 2, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/sandyleevincent/status/1388836245766352899

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2021, 03:03:21 pm »
Dr. Interracial Flag of United States
@sandyleevincent

I bet @FrankLuntz had Michael Woods polling at 90%.

8:42 AM · May 2, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/sandyleevincent/status/1388836245766352899

So it will be Susan Wright and Jake Elizey in the runoff and I predict that Susan will win that handily.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2021, 03:23:28 pm »
Rich "The People's Pundit" Baris
@Peoples_Pundit

Hello @GOPLeader, did your very expensive, overrated/weighted buddy and expert Frank predict TX would end up like it did tonight?

Look like they want Amnesty to you?

Republican voters need to demand a new leader in the U.S. House. 

The hour is late.

11:40 PM · May 1, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/Peoples_Pundit/status/1388699939421753344

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2021, 04:00:07 pm »
Yeah, that's right Pubbies. Follow Trump. Follow him right into the abyss and get clobbered worse in 2024  than last November.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2021, 04:21:05 pm »
Yeah, that's right Pubbies. Follow Trump. Follow him right into the abyss and get clobbered worse in 2024  than last November.

Oh yes, let's follow War Whore Liz.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2021, 04:36:02 pm »
Oh yes, let's follow War Whore Liz.
Better her than the orange-faced troll who gave us Biden.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 04:44:35 pm »

:mauslaff:

You're a regular laugh riot.  Keep 'em coming.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 05:01:45 pm »

Your anger pleases me.   :smokin:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2021, 05:39:38 pm »
---------------------------
Fair enough, as it's an opinion Forum, all are entitled; yet a few rejoinders.
* Trump conjures up the Charlatan which reminded me of Rasputin. Nothing more.
* Nothing negative about being a devotee, as long as one's principles are virtuous.
* In essence, MAGA is driven by politics, the very last ism plain people need, given
the turmoil raging across our nation; in my judgement.
* As for Trump's "conservatism" doubt he can even spell the word.
* As for our Founders, subconsciously they understood that our Heritage/Legacy
was birthed by Great Britain; despite our fight for independence; a point of history
Russell Kirk made often.
* My rejection of Trump is not driven by hatred, rather it's contempt for the plain
and simple reason that at his core Trump is little more that another political
hustler, as are all politicians.
History accurately labels Greece and Rome as Birth Fathers of Western Civilization.
While they accepted different forms of governance during their 1,200 years of Rule,
both the Greek Assembly and the Roman Senate represented the essence of their governance. As such attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments were enforced
and those ignoring these rules were shown the door.
The embarrassments we call leaders wouldn't even get in the door of the Athenian
Assembly or Roman Senate!

What's sad is that you get so much right in your review of historical precedent...and so much wrong on your application of modern analogies. Yes...the FF's were devotees of the British/Western enlightenment thought...in particular Rousseau, Locke and the economics of Adam Smith. Yes...we are direct descendants of the "intended and defined" principles of Greek democracy and Roman Republicanism...they bequeathed the very concepts of open and rational debate and the need for free men to speak openly their thoughts. Like them, we often fall short of our own aspirations...but aspirations matter nonetheless as they set a template for future generations. Your primary failing is that you romanticize The Republic and especially Athenian democracy...their major fault being the vicissitudes of demagogic reaction to the tides of passion and emotion (executing general's who were competent yet failed to win a battle or conflict-exiling members over personal feuds-etcetera).

So I would argue this...our leaders today are EXACTLY like the members of the Athenian Assembly...egotistical, careening wildly to win public favor, making dirty backroom deals, dishonest and credulous when its suits their desired outcomes, quick to betray allies and politically crush opponents in corrupt and unfair ways. In some ways we are living Athenian democracy...the very reason we formed a Republic was to temper such emotional, corrupt and demagogic swings of sentiment...and yet we are constantly on that roller coaster. Even as a Republic, we echo the failings of Rome...men like Steve Scalise shot down in cold blood no less than the Grachii were chased and murdered at the direction of the Senate (albeit covertly in the case of Scalise through Dems like Maxine Waters who called for "get in their face and pursue them everywhere" tactics).

If you want an analogy for President Trump, the Grachii are it (though a case could also be made for a Julius Caesar analogy). The Grachii both attempted great reform in favor of the working class...and yes, with a motive of political self interest accompanying any altruistic leanings...to reshape the power structure underpinning the "elites" (what we today call the Establishment...which bridges both parties as it did in Rome (wealthy and powerful Patricians and Plebeians alike).Trump has earned the hatred of our present day Patricians and Plebeians...loosely analogous to GOP/Dems...by threatening the Establishment structure that elevates both. And yet, like the Grachii...and Caesar at times...Trump has striven to crush that Establishment and restore some sense that it is the body of the people (Rome's Assembly) to whom all in governance owe their obeisance.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:49:04 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2021, 05:41:21 pm »

Rather, it was you, Liz, Romney, Ryan, McCain and others of such ilk that gave us Biden....Quislings all.

You have every right to disagree with those of us who support the President, but you do not get to push off responsibility for not supporting the President and giving us Joe Biden in his stead. That's all you...and those with you in voting for Biden or failing to support the GOP candidate for president. You can argue and defend your reasons...but you can't pretend that that decision wasn't why Biden won. It was....and THAT is not genuinely debatable.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:44:40 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2021, 05:43:11 pm »
well thats revealing.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2021, 06:12:56 pm »

Trump won the election in 2020.

The Rodents confessed to running the most massive voter fraud operation in history.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.