Author Topic: .410 Handgun: The Pros and Cons of These Heavy-Duty Revolvers  (Read 776 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Wide open Spaces by David Maccar 4/30/2021

These niche .410 wheelguns have been popular for a decade, but they have plenty of haters.

A little more than 10 years ago, two gun companies made a lot of noise with a new kind of revolver. The Taurus Judge and the Smith & Wesson Governor debuted around the same time, creating waves across the self-defense market. Both guns are double-action revolvers that can fire both .45 Long Colt centerfire ammunition, as well as 2.5-inch .410 shotshells.

The Governor can also fire .45 ACP rounds with the use of a moon clip and has a six-round cylinder, whereas the Judge revolver cannot and originally came with a five-round cylinder.

Why would anyone want a gun like this? In theory, this handheld, six-shot, revolving shotgun makes sense. While the .410 has long been thought of as a small game and pest gun, self-defense .410 shells are quite formidable at in-the-room ranges for personal defense. Most would consider either gun, even their short-barreled versions, too bulky for concealed carry, so these would be mostly home-defense guns.

More: https://www.wideopenspaces.com/410-handgun-the-pros-and-cons-of-these-heavy-duty-revolvers/

Not covered in this article is the 45/410 Thompson Contender. With its 10 in bbl and a removable choke that stops the spin of the 410 pellets. It's shot patterns are usable for quite a distance. I've shot quite a few moccasins with mine out of the trees on the water's edge.

Offline thackney

Re: .410 Handgun: The Pros and Cons of These Heavy-Duty Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 12:55:32 pm »
I have often thought about getting a 410 pistol as a snake gun for out on the tractor.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:28:55 pm »
I have often thought about getting a 410 pistol as a snake gun for out on the tractor.

I am very satisfied with my Contender and have dispatched several snakes with it. Mine has the 10" barrel with sights and no vent rib, like the pic.  They now sell several different barrels from 12 to 15 in long.

Too bad you can't go with a short barreled pistol gripped H&R Partner.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 02:46:13 pm »
Too bad you can't go with a short barreled pistol gripped H&R Partner.

The Henry Axe is also on my list for consideration.  Or the Mossberg 590.

[Review] Henry Axe .410: Lever “Not a Shotgun”
https://www.pewpewtactical.com/henry-axe-410-review/

https://www.sportsmans.com/mossberg-590-shockwave
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 02:50:54 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer