Author Topic: The military is concerned about extremism in its ranks. Here's what to know.  (Read 364 times)

rangerrebew

The military is concerned about extremism in its ranks. Here's what to know.

LUIS MARTINEZ and JP KEENAN
Wed, April 28, 2021, 6:02 AM·7 min read
The military is concerned about extremism in its ranks. Here's what to know.

The Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol left a lasting impression on the nation’s conscience, but perhaps no more so than at the Pentagon, where it soon became clear that a number of people who allegedly participated in that day’s events had served in the military, including an Air Force veteran who died.

While an ABC News analysis determined that none of the hundreds criminally charged in the incident are active-duty service members, two are Army Reservists and one is a Virginia National Guardsman.

Still, for Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the nation's first Black leader of the military, the events, involving extremist groups and white nationalists, led to some troubling questions.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/military-concerned-extremism-ranks-heres-100257982.html

rangerrebew

Only white boys and girls are suspects though.  Apparently left wing extremists are no problem.  Which reminds me, I thought profiling was illegal in the country.  It is for illegals anyway. :pondering:

Offline AARguy

Cannonfire on a federal installation, declaring state secession, establishing an independent government, raising an opposing army of tens of thousands... these things constitute an insurrection. A small group breaking some windows in the Capitol Building do not. The military casualty mentioned in the article was shot by a capitol policeman. The guard that died, died of natural causes. The demonstration at the Capitol was as much less of an "Insurrection" than the burning of Kenosha, the destruction of Minneapolis or the looting of Macy's in New York City. Heck.. I watched the demonstration at the Washington Monument protesting the Viet Nam War in 1971. A MILLION people participated in that demonstration of federal grounds. No one called it an "Insurrection".

Just a personal note: Lloyd Austin and I were Enlisted roommates at the West Point Prep School and classmates at West Point. He was a great guy. I never saw the slightest indication that he would ever become so fixated on race that he would wound military readiness so grievously as we see today. 

Offline skeeter

Cannonfire on a federal installation, declaring state secession, establishing an independent government, raising an opposing army of tens of thousands... these things constitute an insurrection. A small group breaking some windows in the Capitol Building do not. The military casualty mentioned in the article was shot by a capitol policeman. The guard that died, died of natural causes. The demonstration at the Capitol was as much less of an "Insurrection" than the burning of Kenosha, the destruction of Minneapolis or the looting of Macy's in New York City. Heck.. I watched the demonstration at the Washington Monument protesting the Viet Nam War in 1971. A MILLION people participated in that demonstration of federal grounds. No one called it an "Insurrection".

Just a personal note: Lloyd Austin and I were Enlisted roommates at the West Point Prep School and classmates at West Point. He was a great guy. I never saw the slightest indication that he would ever become so fixated on race that he would wound military readiness so grievously as we see today.
I sincerely hope he doesn't end up being the guy responsible for the US's first catastrophic military defeat.

BTW welcome...