Author Topic: Lockout looms for 600 workers at Exxon's Beaumont plant  (Read 758 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Lockout looms for 600 workers at Exxon's Beaumont plant
« on: April 27, 2021, 09:26:56 pm »
Houston Chronicle by Jacob Dick 4/27/2021

More than 600 employees could be locked out at ExxonMobil’s refining and packaging plant in downtown Beaumont by the end of the week if labor negotiations don’t resume in the next couple of days.

Both ExxonMobil and the United SteelWorkers have confirmed that meetings ended Friday without an agreement. The company reaffirmed that a lockout would be initiated after this coming Saturday if active negotiations weren’t resumed.

The existing labor contract requires that the union and the company must give each other 75 days’ advance notice before a strike or a lockout. The USW and ExxonMobil each provided their respective 75-days notices to each other on Feb. 15 of this year, according to both groups, which created a looming deadline for a contract to be reached.

ExxonMobil’s downtown refining complex has a production capacity of 369,024 barrels-per-day, and is in the middle of an expansion project that could make it the largest in North America.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/article/ExxonMobil-union-prepare-as-labor-negotiations-16131947.php

Offline thackney

Re: Lockout looms for 600 workers at Exxon's Beaumont plant
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 12:14:38 pm »
Not a wage concern but more about job security, the union claims.  The company wants longer contracts I believe.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 12:35:39 pm »
In Biden-world, these are unnecessary people and need to learn to code.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 01:18:36 pm »
Site hasn't striked since the late '80's.  Near misses, but cooler heads seem to prevail in what seems to be a once a half decade game of chicken. 

OTOH, Big Oil has saw some unprecedented hard times in the last year, and the likes XOM, CVX, et. al. might not be in such a good position for concessions.   At this exact moment, I give the odds of a strike at about 30-40%
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 01:58:55 pm »
Teaching them to code would be a waste of money.  The tech jobs get offshored to India and China; those that don't are filled with H1-B visas to facilitate knowledge transfer to India and China.

It's either cleaning bed pans at the nursing home or asking "Would you like fries with that?" when working the drive-thru window.  Oh, dang, I forgot that illegal immigrants fill those jobs.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 03:49:05 pm »
When my son was laid off from the Oil Patch he got picked up right away at SpaceX.

Indeed shows 818 jobs for SpaceX.  And that's just one company.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 05:33:47 pm »
That plant started refining in 1903.
Been there a long time.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 05:42:43 pm »
That plant started refining in 1903.
Been there a long time.

I did work in that plant.  Lots of very old stuff still in service.

We hit a buried 42 inch diameter clay piping system installing a vapor recovery compressor.  It was still tied to the fire water system, but a dead leg under pressure.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 11:50:38 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.