Author Topic: Governor Abbott to county judges: Send me your receipts, we'll bill Biden for border crisis expenses  (Read 943 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Governor Abbott to county judges: Send me your receipts, we'll bill Biden for border crisis expenses
Karen Townsend Apr 27, 2021 2:01 PM ET

Texas Governor Greg Abbott is in process of reminding the Biden administration that the responsibility for securing the southern border lies with the federal government. The State of Texas has been picking up the expenses that incur. Now he is asking county judges to tally up their costs and send him the totals. Abbott says he is going to bill the federal government for the costs.

Abbott rightly tells the county judges (not a judicial position, it’s a county’s CEO) that Texans should not be paying for Biden’s border disaster. Several counties have declared states of emergency because they simply do not have the resources to cope with the situation. County and local governments do not have the personnel or funds to take care of the emergencies caused when illegal migrants are dumped into their communities due to a lack of space in shelters. Governor Abbott put Operation Lone Star into place to address border security and safety issues. He deployed air, ground, marine, and tactical border security assets to high threat areas with the mission of combatting human trafficking and drug cartel operations.

In his letter to county judges, Abbott reminded them that he also launched an investigation into reports of abuse in some of the shelters housing unaccompanied minors.

Governor Abbott will ask the Biden administration for full reimbursement to the State of Texas.

more
https://hotair.com/karen-townsend/2021/04/27/governor-abbott-to-county-judges-send-me-your-receipts-well-bill-biden-for-border-crisis-expenses-n386075
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I remind Abbott that the responsibility of protecting the citizens of Texas falls on him by not permitting illegals to be settled within our state, like the governors of South Dakota, Iowa and South Carolina have all declared.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
After the idiots in DC have already ran up a $30T bill.  You think Pedo Joe even cares?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I remind Abbott that the responsibility of protecting the citizens of Texas falls on him by not permitting illegals to be settled within our state, like the governors of South Dakota, Iowa and South Carolina have all declared.

I don't disagree, except the governors of SD, Iowa, and SC don't have to defend a 2000 mile border with no federal help.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

I don't disagree, except the governors of SD, Iowa, and SC don't have to defend a 2000 mile border with no federal help.

And if Abbott tries...the Feds will slap him down. Just as they would these other govs if push came to shove.

And if Abbott tries...the Feds will slap him down. Just as they would these other govs if push came to shove.
Under what possible authority would any federal agent have to force a state to accommodate illegals within its boundaries?

Only citizens of America are free to come and go.

And what type of slap down are you believing is possible?

You do understand don't you that the federal government reports to the states, not vice versa.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

Under what possible authority would any federal agent have to force a state to accommodate illegals within its boundaries?

You do understand don't you that the federal government reports to the states, not vice versa.

That's how things are supposed to essentially work; states rights, but the global leftists  are running things and they don't give a damn about the rule of law.

Only American citizens are free to come and go?  Please rethink this -- we've been locked down because of COVID, and for a long time couldn't even go to a darn park. We still have to social distance and wear masks.   I don't see that as free to come and go.  I just talked to someone who has friends that are fully vaccinated and took a trip to Hawaii -- they required them to quarantine for 2 weeks!!! That's not freely coming and going.

Meanwhile ILLEGALS are crossing over the border without being vaccinated --- they are the ones who are free to come and go!

Millions of ILLEGAL are in this country with no way to track them, nor do we know of their background or where they came from.  So who has more freedom to move about? 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

That's how things are supposed to essentially work; states rights, but the global leftists  are running things and they don't give a damn about the rule of law.

Only American citizens are free to come and go?  Please rethink this -- we've been locked down because of COVID, and for a long time couldn't even go to a darn park. We still have to social distance and wear masks.   I don't see that as free to come and go.  I just talked to someone who has friends that are fully vaccinated and took a trip to Hawaii -- they required them to quarantine for 2 weeks!!! That's not freely coming and going.

Meanwhile ILLEGALS are crossing over the border without being vaccinated --- they are the ones who are free to come and go!

Millions of ILLEGAL are in this country with no way to track them, nor do we know of their background or where they came from.  So who has more freedom to move about?
Your hysteria is running amok.

First, It does work that way, but a governor has to have the balls to stand up to the feds, like DeSantis, not like Abbott.

Second, an American citizens is free to enter one state from another state.  That does not apply when a non-American here illegally attempts to enter a state.  A state has every right to prohibit that illegal from being there.  Once again, if the governor has the balls to stand up.

Masking is a state issue.  Obviously you live in a state that is more onerous than the one I live in.

Offline berdie

I have a full understanding about how things are "supposed" to work @IsailedawayfromFR . But from what I see that is not how they are working today. For instance, RvW and gay marriage. Those are other subjects for another day but are none the less examples of the government imposing their will on the states. I would be interested in reading media that you must read that says differently.

That being said..what authority would the government have to impose their will re: immigration? Well none in the case you posed. But these things could be done to override the state governments:

In this world of EO's it would be simple for an administration to enhance the existing Immigration Laws to accommodate the current administration's policies.

Also easy to circumvent governors' resistance by using federal property (military bases, etc) or privately owned businesses (hotels) or implementing the use of Dem controlled cities. Yeah, some of this would set up court battles...that could drag on for years but in the mean time...

Assuming you are familiar with Operation Lone Star and the National Guard sent to the border (staying within the bounds of the law) what else should he do? Shout "We're mad and we're not gonna take it!" I believe Abbott has said that in a legal way. The Govs saying that are not frontline states as we are.

None of this would be happening if the Feds operated within the bounds of the law. Immigration is a Federal matter...not state. The very fact that these people are here is against the law.

Travel by non-citizens? Show me that law. Or where it is enforced. The illegal transport is not the states' issue. It is the Federal gov breaking the law if there is one.

This is probably the most I've typed here..or any other site. I'm not a big talker. But your response to a fairly innocuous (but true) post kind of got my dander up. I lurk here enough to know you are very intelligent. But you sound a little naïve.

Tell me what you think Abbott should do, please.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 09:17:24 pm by berdie »

I have a full understanding about how things are "supposed" to work @IsailedawayfromFR . But from what I see that is not how they are working today. For instance, RvW and gay marriage. Those are other subjects for another day but are none the less examples of the government imposing their will on the states. I would be interested in reading media that you must read that says differently.
You do not have to read very far to know that when a law is broken, there is a law written that says so.  Like a thief not breaking into a store or some perp not murdering someone.  That is the way it is 'supposed to work'.  Just because either gets away with it does not mean it is lawful, just means he was not caught or was permitted to get away.

A state is sovereign save certain aspects that it delegated to the federal government. The US Constitution says so and it is the law.

Just because a state chooses to acquiesce to federal control does not preclude that fact.  An example is some states have decided to support legality of marijuana in spite of a federal dictate that says it is illegal.  Another area is one coming up recently in state gun laws that supercede federal gun prohibitions.

That being said..what authority would the government have to impose their will re: immigration? Well none in the case you posed. But these things could be done to override the state governments:

In this world of EO's it would be simple for an administration to enhance the existing Immigration Laws to accommodate the current administration's policies.

Also easy to circumvent governors' resistance by using federal property (military bases, etc) or privately owned businesses (hotels) or implementing the use of Dem controlled cities. Yeah, some of this would set up court battles...that could drag on for years but in the mean time...

Assuming you are familiar with Operation Lone Star and the National Guard sent to the border (staying within the bounds of the law) what else should he do? Shout "We're mad and we're not gonna take it!" I believe Abbott has said that in a legal way. The Govs saying that are not frontline states as we are.

None of this would be happening if the Feds operated within the bounds of the law. Immigration is a Federal matter...not state. The very fact that these people are here is against the law.
State governments have a responsibility to enforce laws within its borders.  Among those are the obligation for it to protect its citizens, which is superior to any dictate that the federal government may presume, such as permitting illegals to reside within a state.  Once again, just because a state chooses to not enforce that does not preclude it being a fact it exists.

Travel by non-citizens? Show me that law. Or where it is enforced. The illegal transport is not the states' issue. It is the Federal gov breaking the law if there is one.

This is probably the most I've typed here..or any other site. I'm not a big talker. But your response to a fairly innocuous (but true) post kind of got my dander up. I lurk here enough to know you are very intelligent. But you sound a little naïve.

Tell me what you think Abbott should do, please.
Abbott is derelict in following the governors of South Dakota, South Carolina and Iowa in declaring no illegals will be brought into their states due to health or financial reasons.  That is a state prerogative, not a federal one.

If the federal government wishes to settle illegals, let it be another state.  And let them know emphatically so.  Texas has options to stop it from happening such as arresting any federal officer who attempts to implement an action against state law.

We are spriralling downhill because too few people stand up to the federal bully.  A state has the law on its side and the prerogative to enforce it if it chooses to.

A state also has no obligation to stay within a country that disregards the contract under which it joined the Union.  Abbott could use his bully pulpit to support secession decisions for the state.  To seriously consider the state seceding is a very powerful threat.

And of course Abbott could lobby to split Texas into 5 states to alter the Senate by adding 8 more Texas Senators, at Texas' discretion, as Congress approved such during the entry into the union.  That is the law once again being on Texas' side.

Offline berdie

A state also has no obligation to stay within a country that disregards the contract under which it joined the Union.  Abbott could use his bully pulpit to support secession decisions for the state.  To seriously consider the state seceding is a very powerful threat.

And of course Abbott could lobby to split Texas into 5 states to alter the Senate by adding 8 more Texas Senators, at Texas' discretion, as Congress approved such during the entry into the union.  That is the law once again being on Texas' side.

Thank you for your measured response. We agree on many issues. I agree on what should be happening in the government. This really shouldn't be an issue at all.

As far as the other two issues offered as a remedy...they come up regularly here and we can debate those at that time in depth. But for today, that doesn't seem to be an immediate solution to an immediate crisis.

Secession? Hell yeah! I'm for it. But it probably won't happen. The last time that was tried as a remedy didn't work out too well.
Splitting into 5 states could very well bite us in the fanny given that the urban population is largely Dem. The big cities would likely be included in separate "states" and water down the rural population vote of the state as a whole. jmho

:beer:

Thank you for your measured response. We agree on many issues. I agree on what should be happening in the government. This really shouldn't be an issue at all.

As far as the other two issues offered as a remedy...they come up regularly here and we can debate those at that time in depth. But for today, that doesn't seem to be an immediate solution to an immediate crisis.

Secession? Hell yeah! I'm for it. But it probably won't happen. The last time that was tried as a remedy didn't work out too well.
Splitting into 5 states could very well bite us in the fanny given that the urban population is largely Dem. The big cities would likely be included in separate "states" and water down the rural population vote of the state as a whole. jmho

:beer:
People continue to demand Abbott doing something.  Report: Four Texas Counties React to Horror on the Border as Local Judge Declares 'This Is an Act of War'https://www.westernjournal.com/report-four-texas-counties-react-horror-border-local-judge-declares-act-war/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=aa-newsletter&utm_campaign=can&utm_content=firefly

Now the question is who will join the fight rather than to come up with reservations about possible solutions.

The country appears hopelessly lost to interests not of Texans, and our history has proven that one can achieve success even over seemingly overwhelming odds.