Author Topic: Straight-Pull Sensation: Savage Impulse Big Game Rifle  (Read 826 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Straight-Pull Sensation: Savage Impulse Big Game Rifle
« on: April 27, 2021, 01:27:54 pm »
Guns.com by  Kristin Alberts 04/27/2021

It’s fast. It’s accurate. It’s modular. It’s much more affordable than its closest competitors. Could Savage be turning the straight-pull action into the Superman of the hunting world, or is this misplaced hype?

Guns.com goes in-depth with the new Savage Impulse Big Game rifle to get the skinny on the straight.

The Impulse platform was designed to be customizable. Each is built on an aluminum receiver with an integrated barrel extension and carbon steel barrel. What looks like a right-handed bolt can actually be switched over to the left side and adjusted for the preferred angle. There’s a detachable box magazine, Cerakote finish, fluted barrel, and threaded muzzle.

There’s an integral 20 MOA optics rail machined into the receiver. Like many of the European straight-pull designs, Impulse shooters will be able to swap both barrels and bolt heads in the field, meaning caliber modularity as well. Partner that capability with everything Accu – trigger, stock, and fit – and the Impulse might be one of the most customizable rifles yet.

The Savage Impulse is launching simultaneously with three separate hunt-specific models: Big Game, Predator, and Hog Hunter. Barrel lengths range from 20 to 24 inches, depending on the model and caliber. The Impulse line also supports a wide range of calibers that include 6.5 Creedmoor, .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester, .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .30-06 Springfield, and .300 Winchester Magnum.

More: https://www.guns.com/news/reviews/straight-pull-sensation-savage-impulse-big-game-rifle

The Impulse’s straight-pull bolt is designed with a Hexlock system that uses ball bearings for both safety and speed.
The bolt can be released manually with the button at the rear of the bolt, just above the tang safety.

Offline thackney

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Straight-Pull Sensation: Savage Impulse Big Game Rifle
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 01:56:54 pm »
I love this about it: "Impulse shooters will be able to swap both barrels and bolt heads in the field, meaning caliber modularity as well."

BassWrangler

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 02:00:46 pm »
Love Savage, although I don't own any of their rifles.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 02:25:50 am »
I love this about it: "Impulse shooters will be able to swap both barrels and bolt heads in the field, meaning caliber modularity as well."
Another big plus for me being cross dominant is being able to swap the bolt to the left side :yowsa: