Author Topic: The VA Is Testing an Implant That Could Allow Paralyzed Veterans to Walk Again  (Read 318 times)

rangerrebew

The VA Is Testing an Implant That Could Allow Paralyzed Veterans to Walk Again

25 Apr 2021
Military.com | By Patricia Kime

Five years ago, Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Burch became the first paralyzed service member to walk to his own promotion ceremony, wearing an exoskeleton that helped him walk and stand to receive his corporal chevrons.

Now medically retired, Burch, 26, hopes again to be a trailblazer -- the first Department of Veterans Affairs patient to regain function in his lower body -- to include taking steps -- courtesy of an electrical implant in his spine that is designed to stimulate his body's sensorimotor networks.

"Even thinking about walking is crazy. I look at this as a stepping-stone to a future where others like me can walk. I look at my participation in this research as a way of helping people out," Burch said during an interview in March with Military.com.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/25/va-testing-implant-could-allow-paralyzed-veterans-walk-again.html

Offline libertybele

The VA Is Testing an Implant That Could Allow Paralyzed Veterans to Walk Again

25 Apr 2021
Military.com | By Patricia Kime

Five years ago, Marine Lance Cpl. Joshua Burch became the first paralyzed service member to walk to his own promotion ceremony, wearing an exoskeleton that helped him walk and stand to receive his corporal chevrons.

Now medically retired, Burch, 26, hopes again to be a trailblazer -- the first Department of Veterans Affairs patient to regain function in his lower body -- to include taking steps -- courtesy of an electrical implant in his spine that is designed to stimulate his body's sensorimotor networks.

"Even thinking about walking is crazy. I look at this as a stepping-stone to a future where others like me can walk. I look at my participation in this research as a way of helping people out," Burch said during an interview in March with Military.com.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/25/va-testing-implant-could-allow-paralyzed-veterans-walk-again.html

I hope that this is successful; how wonderful it would be for so many people!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.