Author Topic: State (OR) leadership fails to see the finish line with HS running mask rule; teen runner collapses  (Read 328 times)

Offline mountaineer

A high school runner collapsed with serious oxygen deprivation after running the 800m in a mask, as required by state mandate. Oregonian columnist writes:
Canzano: State leadership fails to see the finish line with high school running mask rule
Updated Apr 23, 2021; Posted Apr 23, 2021
John Canzano

... Because what high school runners in our state need right now is for the state to help them get to the finish line safely. I’m not alone in fearing that runners are going to be seriously injured by a ridiculous mandate set forth by Governor Kate Brown and the Oregon Health Authority.

Distance runners are being required to wear masks while competing. Most of them are fine wearing them while warming up. But once they’re on the track, outdoors, competing in open air, the science just doesn’t support the necessity. In fact, the mandate is now raising questions about athlete safety and oxygen depletion.  ...

On Thursday night at Summit High School, Maggie Williams competed in the 800 meters. She was focused on breaking the school record of 2:10.54 set by Izzy Max. But Williams faced it in the COVID-era, masked up, and still ran a blistering 61 seconds on her opening lap.

Her second lap ended three meters shy of the finish line. Williams collapsed. Face first. She couldn’t see. She couldn’t hear.

As her coach, Dave Turnbull, said: “Complete oxygen debt.”

Williams face-planted, but her momentum carried her across the line. She broke the record by more than two seconds. Good for her. But Summit High is busy monitoring her today for lingering health issues, including a concussion. ...

The scene at the finish line of that 800-meter race was troubling. Williams dropped like a bag of bricks, arms at her sides. Any good competitive runner understands that pain is part of the sport. But we’re venturing away from “runner vs. herself” equation here. The mask isn’t necessary while running outdoors where athletes aren’t spending extended periods of time running in close proximity. ...
Portland Oregonian
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:51:50 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

Other than for people with the habit of seeking out and prolongedly hugging total strangers, masks in outdoor settings serve no purpose. I shake my head when I see someone walking or biking down the street wearing a mask with no one within 10 yards. I see that pretty much daily and my neck is getting sore.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

High school coach calls to end mask mandate after athlete collapses

Apr. 25, 2021 - 4:40 - After one of his athletes collapsed, an Oregon track & field coach is calling for an end to the state's mask mandate, which requires students to wear face masks while playing outdoor sports.
Video: https://video.foxnews.com/v/6250344914001#sp=show-clips
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org