Author Topic: Server transfer glitches  (Read 572 times)

Offline Skull

Server transfer glitches
« on: April 25, 2021, 04:01:30 pm »
Here is one I noticed in my cut & pastes from Kirk & Kengor's thread.  The new system screwed up existing quote marks & apostrophes.  I will try to fix them.  Also see these in thread titles etc.  Does not seem to happen with "new" words' appearance.

However, any copied text may suffer the same display problems - for example:

Trump to ‘relocate to New Jersey golf club’ when Mar-A-Lago closes for hurricane season

Former US president Donald Trump may relocate to New Jersey when his Florida resort Mar-A-Lago has its scheduled summer closure, according to a new report.

The 74-year-old, the first American president to be impeached twice, could move his home base to Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, according to close advisers.

One person told Business Insider: “They’re moving the whole operation to New Jersey because they’re going to start doing more fundraising.”

Mar-A-Lago, in Palm Beach, Florida, has been Mr Trump’s base since he left office in January this year and has been a hub for the GOP, as well as a base for fundraising..........

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-mar-a-lago-new-jersey-b1836672.html
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 04:09:47 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

BassWrangler

Re: Server transfer glitches
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 04:13:23 pm »
Here is one I noticed in my cut & pastes from Kirk & Kengor's thread.  The new system screwed up existing quote marks & apostrophes.  I will try to fix them.  Also see these in thread titles etc.  Does not seem to happen with "new" words' appearance.

However, any copied text may suffer the same display problems - for example:

Is this new? It's possible it's a database issue.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 04:16:40 pm »
That Topic headline with the weird characters and another Myst posted was like that before the Migration. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

BassWrangler

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 04:19:49 pm »
That Topic headline with the weird characters and another Myst posted was like that before the Migration.

I see a number of them. Are you pretty sure it isn't a new issue? I tried on my test site to convert to UTF-8, which I think would resolve all character set issues, but some mod/package that was installed earlier rendered the database in a state where I can't complete the update.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 04:25:17 pm »
So to bypass the bug, when copy/pasting titles to stories, do you manually backspace/clear the "quotation marks" and reapply/type them?
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 04:26:11 pm »
I see a number of them. Are you pretty sure it isn't a new issue? I tried on my test site to convert to UTF-8, which I think would resolve all character set issues, but some mod/package that was installed earlier rendered the database in a state where I can't complete the update.

I only saw those two....but now that you brought it to my attention I see it on new posts this morning.   Maybe the old hosting company pulled a Clinton admin trick when the Shrub won and they removed the "W;s" from the keyboards!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 04:37:21 pm »
I only saw those two....but now that you brought it to my attention I see it on new posts this morning.   Maybe the old hosting company pulled a Clinton admin trick when the Shrub won and they removed the "W;s" from the keyboards!

Well, if it was happening before, it's not a new problem. I did verify that both old and new database are using UTF-8, so I don't see that it's a migration issue.

One thing I notice is that the database is set to UTF-8, but we're using the ISO-8859 language pack. I am afraid to switch language packs, because the site has some hand edits of the web pages.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2021, 04:43:21 pm »

I noticed this last night, and corrected a couple of titles.  It was pre-existing threads, and new postings don't seem to have the problem.  It sounds like an issue with the database imports, and will pass, given time. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

BassWrangler

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2021, 04:49:31 pm »
I noticed this last night, and corrected a couple of titles.  It was pre-existing threads, and new postings don't seem to have the problem.  It sounds like an issue with the database imports, and will pass, given time. :shrug:

I think you are correct. The site is set to ISO-8859-1, but the database to UTF-8. I have no idea how to unwind that. That's not a new thing, but it clearly caused some hiccup in the DB import process.

Offline Skull

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2021, 05:06:04 pm »
Here is a test snip from Just the News site - lots of quote marks etc:

"Yes, it's true that the globe is warming, and that humans are exerting a warming influence upon it. But beyond that — to paraphrase the classic movie 'The Princess Bride' — 'I do not think 'The Science' says what you think it says,'" Koonin wrote in an opinion piece published by the New York Post, which the outlet noted was an adapted excerpt from Koonin's forthcoming book titled "Unsettled: What Climate Science Tells Us, What it Doesn't, and Why It Matters."

Looks perfect!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:07:27 pm by Skull »
Truth is against the stream of common thought, deep, subtle, difficult, delicate, unseen by passion’s slaves cloaked in the murk of ignorance. Vipassī Buddha

BassWrangler

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2021, 05:07:44 pm »
Here is a test snip from Just the News site - lots of quote marks etc:

I think that @Cyber Liberty nailed the symptoms - old posts with those quotes that got migrated to the new host (database) have issues, but new posts do not.

Offline Skull

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2021, 05:13:47 pm »
I think that @Cyber Liberty nailed the symptoms - old posts with those quotes that got migrated to the new host (database) have issues, but new posts do not.

Hope so, I just Modified an ugly display with a new posting of the same section from Devil & Karl Marx.  Now it looks perfect; so long as Modify option exists and can go back and fix things.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 05:32:35 pm by Skull »

Offline Skull

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2021, 05:53:44 pm »
Not seeing yet any of the small bright red New buttons on the main page?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 05:57:50 pm »

Thanks.  I was wondering about this.  @Cyber Liberty

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2021, 06:07:03 pm »
Some links refresh very slowly for me. Not all. I had to click twice on this post preview before it came up.

Offline corbe

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 06:09:11 pm »
   I believe there is still some database management going on from the migration, should be much faster soon.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Skull

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2021, 06:11:47 pm »
Not seeing yet any of the small bright red New buttons on the main page?

Here is one now, next to Help Threads.  :pop41:

BassWrangler

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 06:17:12 pm »
Some links refresh very slowly for me. Not all. I had to click twice on this post preview before it came up.

There was some temporary impact when I added the search index back. Also, the page cache was cleared before the migration, and will build back up.

All that said, it is possible the new host will be slower. This is shared hosting, as opposed to the old host, where we had a VPS (still shared, but more isolated). The raw resources they are supposedly giving us here are supposed to be more, but it's always possible that we are impacted somewhat by others on the same server. This morning, it was blazing fast for me - definitely faster than the old host.

The primary reason to move was the really bad state of the old host. I am sure if we stayed there, we would eventually have had the site go down hard, and then we'd have been trying to migrate in a panic. The reason to select this host is that they don't ban conservatives. We were unable to test performance of the host prior to migration. I set up a test site, and asked people to try it out, but maybe 3 or 4 of you actually did, so it was not a meaningful test of performance.

So let's give it some time and see how it goes.