Author Topic: Fort Bragg IDs Paratrooper Who Died During Static-Line Jump  (Read 361 times)

rangerrebew

Fort Bragg IDs Paratrooper Who Died During Static-Line Jump

21 Apr 2021
Military.com | By Steve Beynon

A Fort Bragg soldier who died during airborne training Monday has been identified as 21-year-old Spc. Abigail Jenks.

Jenks suffered a fatal injury when conducting a static-line jump from a UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter, Fort Bragg officials said Wednesday. The specifics of the incident are still under investigation.

She served as a forward observer in 1st Battalion, 319th Airborne Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division.

"Spc. Abigail Jenks was a creative, hardworking, and confident paratrooper. Her love for art, animals, and her friends reverberated wherever she worked," Capt. Brian Norman, Jenks' battery commander, said in a statement. "Her compassion for fellow paratroopers will be truly missed."

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2021/04/21/ft-bragg-ids-paratrooper-who-died-during-static-line-jump.html

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Fort Bragg IDs Paratrooper Who Died During Static-Line Jump
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 04:33:53 pm »
I wonder if her weight had anything to do with the parachute malfunction?

Military parachutes are designed to open under the weight of a typical soldier who is loaded down with ammo,grenades,weapons,water,and food for combat drops.

The FACT is there are damn few women who can even stagger to the door with the weight a typical male paratrooper jumps with,so naturally there will be more parachute malfunction with underweight women jumping.

BTW,I am not a large man,but back when I was still jumping,I could dead lift more than 430 lbs. I don't know how much more because that was all the weight available,but I could do multiple 430 lb dead lifts.

And *I* would be staggering towards they door to jump when loaded down with stuff like a spare 50 cal barrel in addition to all my own gear.

Consider that when looking at the photo of this dead woman soldier.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:39:37 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!