Author Topic: Why you should be bracing yourself for higher grocery bills the rest of the year  (Read 1757 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why you should be bracing yourself for higher grocery bills the rest of the year

In the last year, prices have increased 2.6 percent overall amid the coronavirus pandemic.
By
Jenna Romaine | April 16, 2021

Story at a glance

The Bureau of Labor Statistics released the monthly consumer price index on Tuesday.
    The report showed a 0.6 percent one-month increase.
    That is the biggest one-month increase in close to a decade.

The latest consumer price index shows prices are on the rise, and they’re only expected to get higher.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics released the monthly consumer price index on Tuesday, reporting a 0.6 percent increase. That is the biggest one-month increase in close to a decade.

In the last year, prices have increased 2.6 percent overall amid the coronavirus pandemic, stemming from a combination of consumers stockpiling food and items as lockdowns began and subsequent supply chain disruptions.

In January 2020, a pound of bacon cost $4.72 on average but by March 2021 it cost $5.11. Similarly, a loaf of bread rose from $2.44 to $2.66.

"Gotta be the pandemic," John Kermaj, a shopper in Long Island, N.Y., told ABC News. "Shortage."

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/respect/poverty/548669-why-you-should-be-bracing-yourself-for-higher-grocery-bills
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
We should brace ourselves for much higher prices the next four years at least! But what am I saying, prices can't be going up that much because I got a really generous COL of 1.6% for Social Security this year.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It is the Biden Recovery. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
It is the Biden Recovery.

The left wing media (including the financial ie Bloonberg et. al) have supressed this story mightyly.
This time next year we will be hearing more terms like stagflation, economic mailase, and correction.  The stupid people in this country asked for it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

In the last year, prices have increased 2.6 percent overall amid the coronavirus pandemic printing of the money.

There, fixed it.  The part they are omitting from the story is how the government giving out 'free' money isn't really free after all, because it robs the rest of us through higher prices and reduces our standard of living.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
There, fixed it.  The part they are omitting from the story is how the government giving out 'free' money isn't really free after all, because it robs the rest of us through higher prices and reduces our standard of living.

Deficit inceases are like crack to our criminal law makers.  Once the euphoria wears off on this fix, expect another.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

Deficit inceases are like crack to our criminal law makers.  Once the euphoria wears off on this fix, expect another.

It's not even a deficit increase.  The money comes directly from the bottomless vaults of the Fed with unlimited reserves.  They don't even have to issue T-bills any more to exchange for dollars from foreign investors.  And with that, there is no expectation that the money will ever be paid back.

In the last 12 years, we have added more than $10 trillion in new Fed money directly into the money supply, with the spoken intent that those dollars will eventually be paid back and permanently destroyed in like fashion as their creation.  And anyone with any sense of honesty knows full well that this will never happen - that the genie is out of the bottle and will never be put back in.  Seriously, can you imagine our Congress ordering $10 trillion dollars to be taken out of the Treasury and destroyed, as opposed to handing it out to special interests to insure their re-election?  We are totally screwed.  And both parties are to blame.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Blame the pandemic if you like, but higher energy and transportation costs cannot be ignored.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline pollvaulter

Buy physical silver, save yourselves & your family

Offline Potluck

• Surrendered August 19, 1998
Blame the pandemic if you like, but higher energy and transportation costs cannot be ignored.

Spot on.
Biden’s push for more electric cars is part of the war on fossil fuels. Shutting down fossil fuels in an attempt further “green energy” ranks high on my stupid list.
Batteries are not 100% efficient, more energy goes in than out. Same with most any “green energy” source. Especially solar cells. Takes more energy yo manufacture a solar cell than they produce. Used to work for a solar cell manufacturer and that process is NOT environmentally friendly. On top of that Once a solar cell is exposed to sunlight it begins to degrade. And then there are again batteries in the system. Anyone care to guess who has the lithium needed to make batteries?

China dominates the market.

The pandemic can’t be blamed for everything and higher prices at the pump, at the supermarket, shipping cost for online shopping etc. are just a few instances.

"Hell is the impossibility of reason" - Oliver Stone

Offline mountaineer

Welcome to TBR, @Potluck ! This whole electric vehicle business is ridiculous. How often, I wonder, would an electric 18-wheeler delivering food to market have to stop for recharging? First, of course, they have to replace all those diesel-powered trucks with electric ones. The cost of that also would be passed on to consumers.

It runs on batteries!  *****rollingeyes*****
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

Welcome to TBR, @Potluck ! This whole electric vehicle business is ridiculous. How often, I wonder, would an electric 18-wheeler delivering food to market have to stop for recharging? First, of course, they have to replace all those diesel-powered trucks with electric ones. The cost of that also would be passed on to consumers.

It runs on batteries!  *****rollingeyes*****

I've read that EV batteries in a vehicular fire can reach 5000 degrees F.  There will be countless deaths in EV's for this reason that likely were survivable wreck with an internal combustion engine.  If their was any integrity in the NTSB, this fact would be more widespread.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:21:00 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline thackney

It runs on batteries!

Reserve yours today!

https://www.tesla.com/semi

Expected Base Price
(300 mile range)
$150,000

Expected Base Price
(500 mile range)
$180,000

Base Reservation
$20,000
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Potluck

I've read that EV batteries in a vehicular fire can reach 5000 degrees F.  There will be countless deaths in EV's for this reason that likely were survivable wreck with an internal combustion engine.  If their was any integrity in the NTSB, this fact would be more widespread.

We use lithium Ion batteries in the gas detection units at work. They are only about 2"X3" and 3/8" thick.
You do NOT want to puncture one of these. They are very powerful for their size. I'm a PCB repair tech to component level and have seen the damage that can be done.
(oh, btw. takes more energy to charge one than it puts out)

If their was any integrity in the NTSB, this fact would be more widespread.

Hey now. No factual criticism allowed.  :nono: We can't change the weather but we want to change the climate. How that works I don't know but "green energy" must prevail over fossil fuels or it"s game over baby.

Been hearing that line for the past 30 years or more.

Do I believe in man-made global warming? No. Climate change as a natural occurrence? Yes

Green energy may very well be the future but until that energy becomes economically feasible there's just no reason to nix fossil fuels. Get government out of the way and let the free market work it's magic. Sure, takes time, but we need fossil fuels to tie us over until then.

Offline catfish1957

You do NOT want to puncture one of these. They are very powerful for their size. I'm a PCB repair tech to component level and have seen the damage that can be done.
(oh, btw. takes more energy to charge one than it puts out)

I was a Safety Health and Environmental Manager at a Petrochemical Plant.  Retired 10 years ago.  I remember the hassles with PCB equipment, and am surprised the stuff is still used in transfomers, and other electrical equipment.

Offline thackney

I was a Safety Health and Environmental Manager at a Petrochemical Plant.  Retired 10 years ago.  I remember the hassles with PCB equipment, and am surprised the stuff is still used in transfomers, and other electrical equipment.

@catfish1957 @Potluck

Potluck, did you mean Printed Circuit Boards or PolyChlorinated Biphenyls?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Potluck

Not going to escape it. The components these days are so small I have to use tweezers and a 6X binocular scope (Mantis) to fix them. Some parts are the size of a grain of salt. I repair the boards that don't pass test.

Anyway,
Google "EV battery fire" without the quotes. Go to "Images"
I see Tesla is attempting to subdue the fear of these things along with the climate doomsday crowd. That includes mainstream media. They are trying to force substitution of a primary energy source with a secondary source by eliminating the primary.
Makes sense.
In the meantime the cost of everything goes up. Then to top it off the left wants to raise the corporate tax from 21% to 28% to punish the rich, greedy CEOs. That means the extra cost will be passed along to the consumer and/or businesses will move out of the country negatively impacting the labor force.
I hear,"Well, those businesses only want to satisfy their greedy shareholders."
Anyone have a 401K or other retirement plan?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Basic economics 101. There is no free money. And the $15 per hour minimum wage is a fantasy.
When the government doles out so called free money, demand goes up. Therefore prices go up (called inflation). Therefore the free money doesn't buy as much as one might think it would.

Increasing the minimum wage decreases the value of a dollar. Therefore a minimum wage of $15 per hour or even $25 per hour is a wash. Because it will not buy anything. Milk that used to cost $4 now costs $8. Cigarettes that used to be $10 a pack are now $20 a pack.

When money floods any economy, the value of the money necessarily decreases because it is everywhere and easily available. Scarcity creates value. With money falling from the sky, there is no scarcity and therefore there is no value.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Potluck

@catfish1957 @Potluck

Potluck, did you mean Printed Circuit Boards or PolyChlorinated Biphenyls?

Yeah!
Lol. Just now caught that. Ok, I’m a bit slow

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Grocery prices are already higher, especially for meats.  $4.72/lb and $5.11/lb are obscene prices for bacon.  My baseline is $2.50/lb - $3.00/lb for pork prducts.

The Green New Deal non$en$e is unnece$ary, expen$ive, and regre$$ive.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Potluck

Printed Circuit Boards

Offline Potluck

Grocery prices are already higher, especially for meats.  $4.72/lb and $5.11/lb are obscene prices for bacon.  My baseline is $2.50/lb - $3.00/lb for pork prducts.

The Green New Deal non$en$e is unnece$ary, expen$ive, and regre$$ive.

Higher prices should help the poor. And I thought the left was a compassionate group.
Oh wait. Free food, free housing, free college tuition and free healthcare.
Ummm. The government does not make money. It takes it. From who? The taxpayer. Sooooo .... jack up the taxes to pay for the free stuff. Why work?
Ok. The left needs government dependent people. And as many “victims” of everything they can find.   Control. Power. Victimization means it’s not the victim’s fault they are where they are. It’s somebody else’s. Enter “systemic racism”. The new kid on the block created by the left.
Problem is victimization degrades one’s motivation, perceived self-worth and esteem. Helps a lot huh?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Higher prices should help the poor. And I thought the left was a compassionate group.
Ummm. The government does not make money. It takes it. From who? The taxpayer. Sooooo .... jack up the taxes to pay for the free stuff. Why work?
Ok. The left needs government dependent people. And as many “victims” of everything they can find.   Control. Power. Victimization means it’s not the victim’s fault they are where they are. It’s somebody else’s. Enter “systemic racism”. The new kid on the block created by the left.
Problem is victimization degrades one’s motivation, perceived self-worth and esteem. Helps a lot huh?
That is yet another consequence of so called 'free money'. And we can see it happening right now today. Employers cannot find people willing to work because the government is paying them more to stay home than they would make at a job. And it is only getting worse by the month as the benefits continue to increase.

Liberals say we need illegals to do jobs Americans will not do. OK? sort of. But then Liberals give them massive welfare, food stamps, free housing, free healthcare, and whatever else they need for free. How do Liberals expect illegals to fill the gaps in employment when Liberals give them everything they need to live for free? Why work? Especially since many government 'free stuff' welfare programs will kick you out once you get a job.

Of course, this is not economically sustainable. But, most politicians have the IQ of a 15 year old child so they are unable to comprehend the long term consequences of what they do.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 06:54:40 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That is yet another consequence of so called 'free money'. And we can see it happening right now today. Employers cannot find people willing to work because the government is paying them more to stay home than they would make at a job. And it is only getting worse by the month as the benefits continue to increase.

Liberals say we need illegals to do jobs Americans will not do. OK? sort of. But then Liberals give them massive welfare, food stamps, free housing, free healthcare, and whatever else they need for free. How do Liberals expect illegals to fill the gaps in employment when Liberals give them everything they need to live for free? Why work? Especially since many government 'free stuff' welfare programs will kick you out once you get a job.

Of course, this is not economically sustainable. But, most politicians have the IQ of a 15 year old child so they are unable to comprehend the long term consequences of what they do.

Man o man do the illegals love the free, to them, stuff but unlike American socialist taught young it doesn't keep them from working, what it means is that they can send more cash home removing it from the American economy.

Offline libertybele

:yowsa:

BTW welcome to the forum  @Potluck !!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.