Author Topic: Retail sales surge 9.8 percent in March, spurred by stimulus  (Read 295 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Retail sales surge 9.8 percent in March, spurred by stimulus
« on: April 15, 2021, 12:56:49 pm »
Retail sales surge 9.8 percent in March, spurred by stimulus
By Niv Elis - 04/15/21 08:51 AM EDT

Retail sales in March surged 9.8 percent as $1,400 stimulus checks were issued, the weather improved, and vaccination rates increased.

The figure was well above the 6.1 percent economists expected, and was a return to form after major storms in February led to a 3 percent drop. That figure was revised upward to 2.7 percent.

The $619.1 billion in sales was a whopping 27.7 percent higher than last March, when the pandemic hit in earnest and lockdowns took hold across the country.

Paired with a stronger-than-expected showing in weekly jobless claims, which fell significantly to 576,000, stock market futures jumped, with a 150-point increase, or 0.5 percent, expected for the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

Thursday's data are the latest signs of an economy waking up from an extended slumber, reflecting eased COVID-19 restrictions and a vaccination campaign that has already seen over a third of the population receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

It is also a boost for President Biden, who pushed aggressively to pass a $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill last month to stimulate the economy and get people back to work.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/548375-retail-sales-surge-98-percent-in-march-spurred-by-stimulus
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Retail sales surge 9.8 percent in March, spurred by stimulus
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 01:11:29 pm »
Mostly in gun shops?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 01:13:13 pm »
Mostly in gun shops?

I should have bought another gun but I got a new washer/dryer combo.. :shrug:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 01:33:36 pm »
If I can just get my hands on a few hundred rounds of 9mm ammo, I'll be happy. At the rate things are going, that may eat up the $1,400!  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 02:42:16 pm »
Gubmt economy being propped up by Pedo-Joe gimme checks.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2021, 03:00:22 pm »
Gubmt economy being propped up by Pedo-Joe gimme checks.

Watch it fall like a rock by the end of may. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.