Author Topic: Self-Defense Revolvers: Are They A Good Choice?  (Read 2304 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Self-Defense Revolvers: Are They A Good Choice?
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 06:39:28 pm »
A few years ago I bought a whole mess of .38 wadcutters that were on sale.   :shrug:
I wish I had some of those now! Both my sister and husband shoot the .38.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 11:50:49 pm »
 :bkmk:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 11:54:12 pm »
When I took my 3 -day concealed course I used a Rossi 38 revolver ; it was darn accurate.  I scored a perfect 10 out of 10. The instructor and the men in the class were amazed. 

I wound up trading it in though because it kept jamming on me when we went target practicing.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2021, 11:00:23 am »
When I took my 3 -day concealed course I used a Rossi 38 revolver ; it was darn accurate.  I scored a perfect 10 out of 10. The instructor and the men in the class were amazed. 

I wound up trading it in though because it kept jamming on me when we went target practicing.

@libertybele

I have to admit that I have NEVER heard of a revolver jamming.

Not even once.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2021, 11:15:23 am »
@libertybele

Not even once.

I also have a Rossi 38 that I picked up in a Pawn shop. I was going to let my daughter use it, but my son discovered that occasionally it would not properly rotate the chamber. I just set it aside. I haven't tore it down to see what gives. Maybe worn pawl or ratchet.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2021, 01:56:52 pm »
I also have a Rossi 38 that I picked up in a Pawn shop. I was going to let my daughter use it, but my son discovered that occasionally it would not properly rotate the chamber. I just set it aside. I haven't tore it down to see what gives. Maybe worn pawl or ratchet.

@Elderberry

I am thinking that MAYBE there is some foreign matter jammed up inside. Se,ems to me if it were mechanical,it would jam every time you tried to cock it.

But truthfully,this thread is the only place I have ever heard of revolvers jamming to the point where the cylinders wouldn't turn. Take a quick look at the shell ejection spur and see if it shows any sign of damage.

Is the gap in the cylinder crane tight and even when the cylinder is closed?

Try cocking it and then pulling the trigger on empty cases over and over  how smooth the rotation and "feel" are while cocking the hammer.

This should give you a good idea of what to suspect when you pull the side plate.

BTW,my 44 Special snub gun is a Rossi,and I have never had an instant of trouble with it. Since I am a qualified gunsmith (or was back then,anyway) my plan before even buying it was to pull the side plate and "slick it up",but it was so smooth right out of the box that it didn't need it. To this day all I have ever done to it was clean it,shoot it,and carry it.

Another possibility just occurred to me. There is a chance the quality control at Rossi went all to hell when Taurus bought them out to eliminate competition,and the last couple of batches of Rossi firearms sold didn't go through the quality checks of the earlier ones due to the pressure of "get them out of here so we can balance the books and close up the shop."

After all,when the company is going out of business and you are losing your jobs because a larger company bought you out and have their own workers,there is not much incentive to do your best to produce a quality product,is there?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2021, 02:17:11 pm »
@libertybele

Not even once.

Happened only once to me...with my wife's SP101 .357 mag.

It was the ammo though.  We bought Russian made Geco .357 because it was $10 for a box of 50.

Found out later that Geco doesn't adhere to SAMMI standards and that they are very hot rounds.

My wife was on her third round of it when the "bang" was a little louder than normal...the cylinder wouldn't cycle.  I actually thought the gun was ruined.

Gave it a minute and was able to get the cylinder open...the primer had blown completely out of the round that caused the malfunction.

Had the gun checked.  It was fine.  Gave the rest of the box of that ammo to the Range officer and asked him to dispose of it for us.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2021, 02:20:17 pm »
Happened only once to me...with my wife's SP101 .357 mag.

It was the ammo though.  We bought Russian made Geco .357 because it was $10 for a box of 50.

Found out later that Geco doesn't adhere to SAMMI standards and that they are very hot rounds.

My wife was on her third round of it when the "bang" was a little louder than normal...the cylinder wouldn't cycle.  I actually thought the gun was ruined.

Gave it a minute and was able to get the cylinder open...the primer had blown completely out of the round that caused the malfunction.

Had the gun checked.  It was fine.  Gave the rest of the box of that ammo to the Range officer and asked him to dispose of it for us.

@txradioguy

Smart move!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2021, 02:24:51 pm »
@sneakypete

It didn't happen to me. And I just took a look at it and it's still not doing it for me. My son may just be super critical when it comes to the firearm that his little sister is going to depend on. It may have been some foreign object from her purse that caused it. I gave her a S&W Mod 36 to replace it.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »
I was out shooting with a Navy buddy and the cylinder on his Italian .32 Cap and Ball revolver's cylinder froze between chambers. Being too helpful, I took the gun, wrapped my hand around that stuck cylinder, and revolved it. When that cylinder locked on the next chamber, the gun fired and I had a black line across the palm of my hand of unburnt powder drove under my skin. The caps he was using were dragging on the breech. Another friend's gun, a Ruger cap and ball, had the opposite problem. The nipples were too short when screwed all the way in and it wouldn't fire on all the chambers. So I just lock-tited them so they all had the proper clearance for the caps.