Author Topic: Why Some People Buy Their Dream Cars, But Never Drive Them: A Theory  (Read 1004 times)

Offline corbe

Why Some People Buy Their Dream Cars, But Never Drive Them: A Theory

By James Gilboy, The Drive  2 hrs ago

Everyone who's window-shopped car auction sites has seen their share of classics with glistening paints and low miles, but no apparent reason for having been treated like unicorns. Take as an example the 1972 Chevrolet Corvette C3 on Bring A Trailer right now--it's nothing all that special as Corvettes go, but it was preserved like a C2 L88, covering just 3,286 miles in 45 years. Who does this, and why? Who makes what many would consider a landmark car purchase only to drive it fewer miles each year than they walk on their two feet?

a car parked in a parking lot© Provided by The Drive

Stories of barn finds offer plenty of explanations as to how this can happen; owners can squirrel their cars away due to medical problems, turn them into never-complete projects, worry about ruining them, mistake them for investments, and so on. But I'd like to posit one more possibility, one I rarely see discussed in car culture, much less hobbyist spheres in general: The hoes pastimes can fill in our social lives.

<..snip..>

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/why-some-people-buy-their-dream-cars-but-never-drive-them-a-theory/ar-BB1ffANK?ocid=msedgntp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Why Some People Buy Their Dream Cars, But Never Drive Them: A Theory
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 02:51:38 am »
getting a car is one thing

getting a license to drive it quite another
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 02:59:04 am »
That ain't me @corbe ...

Put me in that little beauty and I guarantee I am hitting 120 mph beating feet for the Idaho border with cherries and berries out back... Which means somewhere along the way, I will be sliding off onto the gravel and beating that poor girl like a 2 dollar mule. And if I don't wrap her around something, she'll come home dirty and sore with no rubber.

I know. I've seen me do it.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2021, 03:02:39 am »
That ain't me @corbe ...

Put me in that little beauty and I guarantee I am hitting 120 mph beating feet for the Idaho border with cherries and berries out back... Which means somewhere along the way, I will be sliding off onto the gravel and beating that poor girl like a 2 dollar mule. And if I don't wrap her around something, she'll come home dirty and sore with no rubber.

I know. I've seen me do it.

You must have a bigger rap sheet than @corbe

Congrats

PS @roamer_1 THAT WAS YOU! I seen you do it!
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 03:05:27 am »
I've been storing my son's 75 454 Corvette C3 for way too long. I might as well claim it as my own.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 03:08:01 am »
You must have a bigger rap sheet than @corbe

Congrats

PS @roamer_1 THAT WAS YOU! I seen you do it!

Probably most of it fell off the other end by now. But I had my time.  happy77
And I ain't drove nothing but pickups and minivans that past couple decades for a reason.

Put me behind the wheel of a sweet little whiskey runner and give me some back roads, and I WILL tear it up, And Barney will be coming around... Not that he caught me at it that much... But enough to make a mark.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 03:10:19 am »
Probably most of it fell off the other end by now. But I had my time.  happy77
And I ain't drove nothing but pickups and minivans that past couple decades for a reason.

Put me behind the wheel of a sweet little whiskey runner and give me some back roads, and I WILL tear it up, And Barney will be coming around... Not that he caught me at it that much... But enough to make a mark.

It seems almost you are me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 03:12:29 am »
But as to the OP, that ain't me any which way. I would mod anything I got my hands on. Bigger, badder, faster, moooooo bedda. Heck I might have that vette lifted on 44s with an overbuilt porker... I would not put it past me.

Nah... prolly not. Overbuilt porker for sure... but she'd prolly stay on the ground. Even I have standards.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 03:14:24 am »
It seems almost you are me.

Closer than you probably know...  :beer:
You got more frequent flyer miles...  :whistle:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 03:15:10 am »
But as to the OP, that ain't me any which way. I would mod anything I got my hands on. Bigger, badder, faster, moooooo bedda. Heck I might have that vette lifted on 44s with an overbuilt porker... I would not put it past me.

Nah... prolly not. Overbuilt porker for sure... but she'd prolly stay on the ground. Even I have standards.

I now drive a van. 2002 Montana. I am serious. LOL

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2021, 03:16:16 am »
Closer than you probably know...  :beer:
You got more frequent flyer miles...  :whistle:

Maybe not so much as frequent but duration.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 03:17:25 am »
I now drive a van. 2002 Montana. I am serious. LOL

98 plymouth Voyager  happy77

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 03:20:53 am »
   I drive a 2.2L dodge Journey with a busted windshield, but I already got plenty of chicks and they buy me $hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 03:21:18 am »
Hey. It's a heckuva lot cheaper than blue-sheet insurance.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 03:24:17 am »
   I drive a 2.2L dodge Journey with a busted windshield, but I already got plenty of chicks and they buy me $hit.

I got the lifted pickup for that. Either way I don't get in trouble now. Other than gated roads. They can be a bother.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 03:27:17 am »
98 plymouth Voyager  happy77

I sold my X my 99 dodge caravan (125k miles) for just the taxes last year, everything had already been replaced. She lives in it now 80 miles away. 
   I gave Robin my X's latest covid check and her phone number 3 days ago.  Haven't heard from either since then. 
   Sometimes I surprise even myself at problem solving. 

(notice I didn't ping her)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 03:38:47 am »
I got the lifted pickup for that. Either way I don't get in trouble now. Other than gated roads. They can be a bother.

If there ever was a use for battery powered tools.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 03:46:24 am »
If there ever was a use for battery powered tools.

I am more a big ass bumper kinda guy. But you gotta sneak in there first and spot all their cams. Then stand off a half mile and pluck em off. Then be sure again... THEN maybe something else. Sorta.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 03:47:26 am »
And they DO place cams (multiple) if you become so-inclined.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 03:48:37 am »
I am more a big ass bumper kinda guy. But you gotta sneak in there first and spot all their cams. Then stand off a half mile and pluck em off. Then be sure again... THEN maybe something else. Sorta.

You are me! Sorta. LOL

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 03:56:40 am »
If I ever attain ownership of a 1970 Superbird, I will drive it until the floorboards rust through.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 03:58:43 am »
You are me! Sorta. LOL

I have always been able to see you from here.  :seeya:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 03:59:43 am »
If I ever attain ownership of a 1970 Superbird, I will drive it until the floorboards rust through.

I guarantee it would be gone long before rust was a problem if it were me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2021, 04:01:37 am »
Though I would rather the Charger. Or a Cuda.

Nah. Chevelles all day long. them mopars are too fat and heavy. Though I could make em do in a pinch.