Author Topic: Capitol buzz: Schumer about to push federal legalization of marijuana  (Read 1277 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Capitol buzz: Schumer about to push federal legalization of marijuana

Ed MorrisseyPosted at 7:01 pm on March 31, 2021

Can Chuck Schumer and Joe Biden take advantage of budding support for ending decades of stringent federal prohibition on marijuana? Or will the effort to remove the substance from drug schedules go up in smoke? Bloomberg News sees a narrow path ahead for something more robust than just decriminalization, not long after Biden and the White House fumbled the issue with its staffers:

Majority Leader Chuck Schumer is pushing the Senate toward lifting the federal prohibition on marijuana with legislation that would represent the biggest overhaul of federal drug policy in decades.

The bill that Schumer is drafting with Senate Finance Chair Ron Wyden of Oregon and New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is still being written. Though they avoided the term legalization when announcing their plan, it is expected to remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances and tax and regulate it on the federal level while leaving states able to enforce their own laws regarding the drug.

Their proposal goes beyond decriminalization, which President Joe Biden voiced support for during his campaign, and may be a stretch for some Senate Democrats. But it taps into building public sentiment for legalization and moves by states to change marijuana laws, including Schumer’s home state.

This approach looks very confused. Booker and Wyden want to remove it from federal schedules, which would then leave legalization to the states. However, they still want to regulate and tax marijuana at the federal level, even though much of its use would likely come from locally grown crops. It grows nearly everywhere (hence its “weed” nickname), and would not therefore often cross state lines for distribution. Without it being on the drug schedules, what legitimate jurisdiction would the federal government have to tax and/or control its use? Yes, yes, I know that Wickard v Filburn would apply, but it shouldn’t, especially with reformers arguing to get the federal government out altogether.

more
https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2021/03/31/capitol-buzz-schumer-push-federal-legalization-marijuana/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Capitol buzz: Schumer about to push federal legalization of marijuana
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 08:43:03 pm »
Its fine with me if this joker wants to spend all of his political capital on this dumb issue. The republic will survive it.

As it will NOT survive amnesty, HB-1, or yet another multi trillion dollar Covid stimulus.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:45:14 pm by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 08:59:37 pm »
What?  The near majority of the electorate isn't stupid enough now for Schumer?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 09:01:27 pm »
Now Chuckie might regret that one, as the drug lords have been making a lot of money on the sale of MJ.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 09:04:44 pm »
Now Chuckie might regret that one, as the drug lords have been making a lot of money on the sale of MJ.

He'll regret it more if he taxes the sale.   :smokin:

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 10:40:27 pm »
Legalize marijuana, the so-called Gateway Drug (which is what alcohol really is if you're foolish enough to believe in the idea of a "gate" in the first place") and then the demand for legalization of cocaine products comes up, then the mushrooms and the heroin and then the manufactured drugs like meth and the others.

Personally, I'm fully in favor of legalizing all that crap, since the Constitution doesn't grant the federal government the authority to regulate drugs in the first place.

Then what do the Rodents do with the DEA?

Then how do the Rodents justify searching everyone's luggage at the airports and their cars on the streets and seizing any cash if they find more than $10,000?   I can see all the cops rejecting this out of hand.  They like stealing money.

How will they justify holding a person at a traffic stop while the dogs come to sniff their asses and pretend to find a drug scent to justify the illegal search?

How much unlawful authority are the Rodents willing to surrender by catering to the Libertarian Party and de-criminalizing that which should never have been criminalized in the first place?  We all know the Rodents NEVER willingly give up power. This begs a very important question here:

What is Pile Of Schumer secret game here?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 12:52:07 am »
Its fine with me if this joker wants to spend all of his political capital on this dumb issue. The republic will survive it.

As it will NOT survive amnesty, HB-1, or yet another multi trillion dollar Covid stimulus.

I'm with you on this one skeeter....if people want to smoke pot to their hearts content, that's their problem. As long as they harm themselves, not others...as in driving a car, etcetera...freedom means being free to make dumb choices. And as you said Skeeter, let Schumer use his political capital on something that does NOT destroy our Republic.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 12:58:49 am »
I'm with you on this one skeeter....if people want to smoke pot to their hearts content, that's their problem. As long as they harm themselves, not others...as in driving a car, etcetera...freedom means being free to make dumb choices. And as you said Skeeter, let Schumer use his political capital on something that does NOT destroy our Republic.
:thumbsup:

Still, send him through the wringer on it.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 01:13:53 am »

Not sure how this would work?Most conservative States will keep it illegal regardless of what the Feds do.
It would be confusing for the State Patrol.
Buy it 2 miles West and it is perfectly legal.
Drive through the next State over and it is illegal.
Drive a little farther and it is legal again.
Seems like enforcement would be a mess.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 01:17:59 am »
Not sure how this would work?Most conservative States will keep it illegal regardless of what the Feds do.
It would be confusing for the State Patrol.
Buy it 2 miles West and it is perfectly legal.
Drive through the next State over and it is illegal.
Drive a little farther and it is legal again.
Seems like enforcement would be a mess.

It is that way here now.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 01:32:35 am »
At least on NICS Form 4473 The question:

Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?     Warning:  The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or     decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.

Would no longer be an issue for pot users.

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 02:02:50 am »
 Texas is fine.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2021, 05:21:02 am »
Democrats want to suppliment voter support in coming elections, stupidity might no get enough numbers, dumbing down people with drugs just might reap a windfall of voters for democrats in coming elections.  All they need then to do is stimulate their feelings, while deactivating their brains.  Politicians utopian dream come true.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2021, 09:41:26 am »
What?  The near majority of the electorate isn't stupid enough now for Schumer?
At least 75,000,000 failed the litmus test in November... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2021, 02:11:09 pm »
There are thousands of former military servicemembers that were discharged because of positive tests for marijuana and hashish. Will the UCMJ be revised, and will these less than honorable discharges be reversed?

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2021, 05:26:07 pm »
Schumer says Senate will move ahead on marijuana legalization
By Celine Castronuovo - 04/03/21 12:31 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) has vowed to move forward with legislation to federally legalize marijuana, even if President Biden resists such a move.

In an interview with Politico published Saturday, Schumer said he “will have an ongoing conversation” with Biden on the legalization of cannabis to “tell him how my views have evolved” on the issue.

However, Schumer said that if Biden, who has vocalized opposition to the full legalization of cannabis, does not eventually come around the legislation, the Senate will still “move forward.”

“He [Biden] said he's studying the issue, so obviously want to give him a little time to study it,” the Senate Democratic leader told Politico. “I want to make my arguments to him, as many other advocates will.”

“But at some point we're going to move forward, period,” he added.

Schumer pointed out that while he initially opposed federal marijuana legalization, his “thinking evolved” and in 2018 he became “the first member of the Democratic leadership to come out in support of ending the federal prohibition.”

“When a few of the early states — Oregon and Colorado — wanted to legalize, all the opponents talked about the parade of horribles: Crime would go up. Drug use would go up. Everything bad would happen,” Schumer explained.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/546317-schumer-says-senate-will-move-ahead-on-marijuana-legalization
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2021, 05:39:27 pm »
Question:

Does this mean that New York State, which recently approved recreational use of THC, will have store fronts retailing marijuana and gummies to the general public?

Or, is it similar to Maryland right now, which requires you to obtain a State-issued card along with a rubber-stamped doctor prescribed document good for 2 years?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2021, 06:17:54 pm »
Question:

Does this mean that New York State, which recently approved recreational use of THC, will have store fronts retailing marijuana and gummies to the general public?

Or, is it similar to Maryland right now, which requires you to obtain a State-issued card along with a rubber-stamped doctor prescribed document good for 2 years?

This will not change State Laws.

The bill that Schumer is drafting with Senate Finance Chair Ron Wyden of Oregon and New Jersey Senator Cory Booker is still being written. Though they avoided the term legalization when announcing their plan, it is expected to remove marijuana from the list of controlled substances and tax and regulate it on the federal level while leaving states able to enforce their own laws regarding the drug.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2021, 06:24:39 pm »
Read an article a few weeks ago about White House Staff candidates who were disqualified for marihuana use.
The article expounded on how silly and antiquated this policy is. This current bill could be at least in part a response to that.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2021, 06:32:25 pm »
What I'm going to say here is likely not going to popular but say it I will.  Legalizing drugs takes most of the profit out of them so you need not worry about that ever happening IMHO.

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 09:24:30 pm »
Legalize marijuana, the so-called Gateway Drug (which is what alcohol really is if you're foolish enough to believe in the idea of a "gate" in the first place") and then the demand for legalization of cocaine products comes up, then the mushrooms and the heroin and then the manufactured drugs like meth and the others.

Personally, I'm fully in favor of legalizing all that crap, since the Constitution doesn't grant the federal government the authority to regulate drugs in the first place.

Then what do the Rodents do with the DEA?

Then how do the Rodents justify searching everyone's luggage at the airports and their cars on the streets and seizing any cash if they find more than $10,000?   I can see all the cops rejecting this out of hand.  They like stealing money.

How will they justify holding a person at a traffic stop while the dogs come to sniff their asses and pretend to find a drug scent to justify the illegal search?

How much unlawful authority are the Rodents willing to surrender by catering to the Libertarian Party and de-criminalizing that which should never have been criminalized in the first place?  We all know the Rodents NEVER willingly give up power. This begs a very important question here:

What is Pile Of Schumer secret game here?

At first blush I would disagree, but after thinking about it why shouldn't all this crap be legal. Tobacco is legal and it is highly addictive and is very bad for your health. Alcohol is legal and is not good for your health and a fair number of people have trouble controlling their consumption of it.

Every group of people have a percentage that are excessive in their consumption of something. Why not just recognize prohibition does not work and focus on educating people as to the risks and apply penalties to people who put the public at risk due to their excessive consumption.

Also, if you legalize everything and don't over tax it you can put criminal organizations out of business!
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2021, 09:26:11 pm »
Question:

The biggest benefit is legal sellers would be able to open bank accounts.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Killer Clouds

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2021, 10:19:10 pm »
The biggest benefit is legal sellers would be able to open bank accounts.
Only if the banks approve of it.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2021, 10:20:39 pm »
Interesting comment by Chuckie; "However, Schumer said that if Biden, who has vocalized opposition to the full legalization of cannabis, does not eventually come around the legislation, the Senate will still “move forward.”

Sounds to me like Chuckie and Nancy are running the show and they know they can walk all over him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 01:28:21 am »
Schumer Says Bill To Legalize Marijuana Federally Will Be Filed ‘Shortly’

Marijuana Moment by Kyle Jaeger 3/31/2021

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/schumer-says-bill-to-legalize-marijuana-federally-will-be-filed-shortly/

While the text of the bill hasn’t been filed yet and few details have been discussed, it’s expected to remove marijuana from the list of federally controlled substances and promote social equity.

Schumer made a point earlier this month to say that it will specifically seek to restrict the ability of large alcohol and tobacco companies to overtake the industry.

Instead, it will prioritize small businesses, particularly those owned by people from communities most impacted by prohibition, and focus on “justice, justice, justice—as well as freedom,” he said.

Schumer, who also included cannabis legalization as a legislative priority in a recent fundraising email to his list of supporters, said that the American people recognize that prohibition has failed and “so many lives have been wasted because marijuana has been listed as something as bad as heroin” under federal law.

On the House side, Judiciary Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) said recently that he plans to reintroduced his legalization bill, the Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act, which cleared the chamber last year but did not advance in the Senate under GOP control.

But with respect to the White House, Press Secretary Jen Psaki said on Tuesday that President Joe Biden’s position on adult-use legalization “has not changed,” meaning he still opposes the policy. He hasn’t said whether he would sign or veto a bill to enact the policy change if it arrived on his desk, however.