Author Topic: South Dakota lawmakers reject transgender sports bill changes by Gov. Noem  (Read 902 times)

Offline libertybele

South Dakota lawmakers reject transgender sports bill changes by Gov. Noem

The South Dakota State Legislature voted Monday to reject Gov. Kristi Noem’s "style and form" veto of House Bill 1217, a measure that would effectively bar transgender youth from participating in women’s sports at the college level and below.

The state’s House of Representatives rejected Noem’s veto on the "Women’s Fairness in Sports" bill by a 67-2 vote. The governor, who had previously signaled her support for the bill, declined to sign the measure unless lawmakers accepted changes that would exempt collegiate sports from the ban.

"Vote to pass the governor's style and form veto on the Fairness for Woemn's [sic] Sports bill fails 2-67," State Rep. Fred Deutsch, a Republican, wrote on Twitter. "The bill now goes back to the governor for her to either sign or veto. House believes her style-and-form is unconstitutional."...........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/south-dakota-lawmakers-reject-transgender-sports-bill-changes-by-gov-noem
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

67 to 2?

The governor can forget about higher office if her own state decidedly hands her a big fat slamola.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

67 to 2?

The governor can forget about higher office if her own state decidedly hands her a big fat slamola.

This is on one issue.  We'll see what happens going forward. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The South Dakota House voted 67-2 FOR the bill as it is.

I don't know how the SD House voted, but Republicans have something like a 59-11 majority in that chamber.

If the House voted roughly along party lines as well, aren't there enough votes to over-ride the governor's veto (assuming that can be done in SD), and pass it anyway?

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
This is on one issue.  We'll see what happens going forward.

If you can't trust her on one issue, you can't trust her on any issue.
Let it burn.

Offline libertybele

She stood her ground though and it was rejected.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't

Well, that depends on the importance of the issue.

This issue was of the highest importance, on par with Voter ID and stopping the murder of unborn babies.

She may as well stop politicking now.  She's done.

And it won't surprise me, with a 67-2 vote passing the bill, that the veto is overridden.

But she's no Pilate, she can't wash her hands of this stain.   This was as easy a no-brainer as a legislature ever handed to their governor.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP Legislators In South Dakota Urge Noem To Ditch Her Pride And Sign Bill Protecting Women’s Sports

March 29, 2021 By Jordan Davidson

Republicans in the South Dakota House of Representatives are urging Gov. Kristi Noem to accept the GOP-controlled legislature’s overwhelming decision to reject her “style and form” veto revisions and sign a bill banning biological males from participating in women’s sports.

“To take and remove sections is not appropriate for the executive branch,” the “Fairness in Women’s Sports” Act sponsor Rep. Rhonda Milstead told Rapid City Journal, explaining that the governor needs to choose to either sign or veto the bill.

Noem first rejected the bill last week after she claimed that unnamed legal experts advised her against signing it for fear of lawsuits. Instead, the governor’s office maintains that the most “strategic” way to confront the legislation is to avoid “waging a losing battle with the NCAA,” and changing the legislation to avoid applying the law to higher education, a talking point already refuted multiple times by legal experts on the record and largely rejected by GOP representatives.

“What we’re talking about is an unconstitutional use of this veto,” Rep. Taffy Howard said, noting that the governor made “substantial changes” to the bill that she believes are outside of the governor’s authority.

Another Republican representative told National Review that the legislature is “really disappointed that [Noem] is not seen fit to sign the bill to protect women in South Dakota.”

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/03/29/gop-legislators-in-south-dakota-urge-noem-to-ditch-her-pride-and-sign-bill-protecting-womens-sports/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
South Dakota governor signs executive orders barring transgender athletes from women's sports
By Lexi Lonas - 03/30/21 12:38 PM EDT

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) has signed executive orders barring transgender athletes from women’s sports in the state.

“Only girls should play girls’ sports,” Noem tweeted on Monday. “Given the legislature’s failure to accept my proposed revisions to HB 1217, I am immediately signing two executive orders to address this issue: one to protect fairness in K-12 athletics, and another to do so in college athletics.”

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/545557-south-dakota-governor-signs-executive-orders-barring-transgender
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

She agrees on the issue, but not on specific language used in the bill.

South Dakota governor signs executive orders barring transgender athletes from women's sports
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,432872.msg2404523.html#msg2404523
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

The South Dakota House voted 67-2 FOR the bill as it is.

I don't know how the SD House voted, but Republicans have something like a 59-11 majority in that chamber.

If the House voted roughly along party lines as well, aren't there enough votes to over-ride the governor's veto (assuming that can be done in SD), and pass it anyway?

Both chambers of the state legislature would need a two-thirds vote to override the veto and pass the bill. HB 1217 is expected to fall short of the required thresholds.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Lol!  "It's too late baby, it's too late now..."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

Lol!  "It's too late baby, it's too late now..."

Of course this reminds me of a song (you had to know that this was coming).....and it even has a kitty on the cover.  happy77

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkKxmnrRVHo

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
She agrees on the issue, but not on specific language used in the bill.

Yes I've read that, but I've also read that her changes would make the bill impossible to enforce. So, who should I believe?   :shrug:
Let it burn.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"South Dakota governor signs executive orders barring transgender athletes from women's sports"

Damage control.
But I sense that Ms. Noem may have mortally wounded herself as a player on the national stage.

For this episode, she wins the "Nikki Haley award" for 2021...

Offline corbe

She defiantly needs to fire her PR staff, she stepped in it.

TTIUWP:

*Happy thought: Had Melania allowed it, she would of made a better VP than Pence to Trump.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

Yes I've read that, but I've also read that her changes would make the bill impossible to enforce. So, who should I believe?   :shrug:

I've read that without her changes, the bill was impossible to enforce.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/03/fighting-smart-for-fairness-in-womens-sports/

...We have to be able to win in court.

It is for that reason that I asked the South Dakota state legislature to make revisions to HB 1217. As passed, this bill was a trial lawyer’s dream. It would have immediately been enjoined had I signed it into law, meaning that no girls in South Dakota would have been protected.

Unfortunately, the state legislature failed to accept my proposed revisions to the legislation. So I have signed two executive orders: one to protect fairness in K–12 athletics, and another to do so in college athletics....

Believe her executive orders:

Protecting Girls' Sports in High School
https://sdsos.gov/general-information/executive-actions/executive-orders/assets/2021-05.PDF

Protecting Womens' Sports in College
https://sdsos.gov/general-information/executive-actions/executive-orders/assets/2021-06.PDF
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:45:28 am by thackney »

Offline thackney

“What we’re talking about is an unconstitutional use of this veto,” Rep. Taffy Howard said, noting that the governor made “substantial changes” to the bill that she believes are outside of the governor’s authority.

It is not outside her authority since she sent the bill back for their house and senate to approve the changes.

Since they chose not to make her changes, she refused to sign and issued executive orders.

Protecting Girls' Sports in High School
https://sdsos.gov/general-information/executive-actions/executive-orders/assets/2021-05.PDF

Protecting Womens' Sports in College
https://sdsos.gov/general-information/executive-actions/executive-orders/assets/2021-06.PDF