Author Topic: With Biden’s border crisis brewing, New Mexico State addresses ‘sanctuary campus’ calls  (Read 338 times)

rangerrebew

With Biden’s border crisis brewing, New Mexico State addresses ‘sanctuary campus’ calls
March 28, 2021 | BPR Wire | Print Article

Message From Our Editor
0:16 / 0:27

Mckenna Dallmeyer, Campus Reform

New Mexico State University is again rejecting student and faculty calls to declare the campus a “sanctuary” for illegal immigrant students, although it does provide some benefits for students who are in the country illegally.

In 2016, a petition advocating for the protection of illegal immigrant students by NMSU circulated on campus. Demands included banning U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) from campus, allowing DACA students to pay in-state tuition, and disallowing student information to be shared with federal immigration officials without the student’s consent.

Then Chancellor Garrey Carruthers rejected these demands in a campus-wide memo obtained by Campus Reform. Carruthers said the university will continue to provide a “forum for open dialogue and a welcoming climate for all of our students, faculty, staff and their families.”

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2021/03/28/with-bidens-border-crisis-brewing-new-mexico-state-addresses-sanctuary-campus-calls-1051557/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sometimes I think there should be a law REQUIRING college professors to take a mandatory break from academia every 5 years or so,and work a regular job in the "real world" for a period of 1,or even better,2 years before being ALLOWED to return to campus to teach.

This,of course,would ONLY apply to the social studies teachers/professors because math,science,medicine,etc,etc aren't affected by BS.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

rangerrebew

@sneakypete

I spent the last 25 years of my work life as a teacher, and to say I was not liked by the staff, would be an understatement.  In my background were the military, 8 years in transportation management and sales, working on the railroad when I went to undergrad school.  My background so different than theirs, my fellow teachers didn't like what I said or my observation because of such vastly different perspective, and for the exact ideas you mention.  And by the way, everything in academics is open to BS with everything being so politicized.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
With Biden’s border crisis brewing, New Mexico State addresses ‘sanctuary campus’ calls
March 28, 2021 | BPR Wire | Print Article

Message From Our Editor
0:16 / 0:27

Mckenna Dallmeyer, Campus Reform

New Mexico State University is again rejecting student and faculty calls to declare the campus a “sanctuary” for illegal immigrant students, although it does provide some benefits for students who are in the country illegally.

In other words, NMSU is a sanctuary campus.

If they weren't a sanctuary, they would have reported their known illegal aliens to the ICE, not subsidized them with taxpayer dollars.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Sometimes I think there should be a law REQUIRING college professors to take a mandatory break from academia every 5 years or so,and work a regular job in the "real world" for a period of 1,or even better,2 years before being ALLOWED to return to campus to teach.

This,of course,would ONLY apply to the social studies teachers/professors because math,science,medicine,etc,etc aren't affected by BS.

Just deny federal funds to any school, at any level, that offers "tenure".   

Tenure is an unamerican concept that presupposes someone has a right to a job, no matter what.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Just deny federal funds to any school, at any level, that offers "tenure".   

Tenure is an unamerican concept that presupposes someone has a right to a job, no matter what.

@Sled Dog

Excellent point!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

rangerrebew

Isn't this true of democrat politicians?