Author Topic: Suez Canal: US navy to assist with freeing ship stuck in critical waterway  (Read 464 times)

rangerrebew

Suez Canal: US navy to assist with freeing ship stuck in critical waterway

Assessment team expected on Saturday to advise authorities on freeing the stuck container ship, CNN reports

By MEE staff
Published date: 26 March 2021 18:37 UTC | Last update: 17 hours 30 mins ago

The US navy plans to assist Egypt in freeing a container ship that has been stuck in the Suez Canal since Tuesday, two Department of Defense officials told CNN.

The US navy's dredging assessment team could arrive by Saturday to assist in the effort to free the 400m ship, Ever Given, which turned sideways in the narrow waterway after getting caught in 40-knot winds and a sandstorm that caused low visibility and poor navigation.

Once the US team assesses the situation it will advise authorities on freeing the container ship, which is completely blocking transit through the Suez Canal, one of the world's busiest shipping channels for oil and grain and other trade linking Asia and Europe.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/suez-canal-us-navy-assist-freeing-ship-stuck-critical-waterway

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I have been read some articles (including link) that it appears that the Egyptians have been neglecting canal maintenance (like and/soil/sludge dredging).  Been milkng it without any reinvestment.  Now its coming back and biting them on the ass.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
What is Egypt going to pay the US for the Navy's work?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I don't care who anyone is, that is pretty damned funny.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

A coupon good for 10 passages through the canal at 30% off.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline PeteS in CA

A coupon good for 10 passages through the canal at 30% off.

No condos made of stone-uh?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Stack em. Pack em. And Rack em.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

I have been read some articles (including link) that it appears that the Egyptians have been neglecting canal maintenance (like and/soil/sludge dredging).  Been milkng it without any reinvestment.  Now its coming back and biting them on the ass.

And as usual, the American taxpayer gets stuck with the bill.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Fishrrman's "rising tide" solution to this problem:

1. Keep 2 tugs on the north side, and 2 on the south side.
2. Keep at least one dredger nearby.
3. Build coffer dams in the canal, on either side of the stranded ship.
4. Extend these dams around either side, creating "a bathtub" around it.
5. Fill this "tub" with water, raising the water level at least 10-15 feet or so.
6. This should lift the container ship up just enough to free it, so the tugs on either side can then maneuver it into proper position.
7. Drain out the water and remove the dams.

Offline Idiot

I bet they require at least 2 tugs on these larger ships from now on in this section of the canal.

Offline thackney

Suez Canal Live Updates: The Ever Given Is Free, Clearing Way for Traffic to Resume
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/03/29/world/suez-canal-stuck-ship

The mammoth cargo ship blocking one of the world’s most vital maritime arteries was wrenched from the shoreline and finally set free on Monday, raising hopes that traffic could soon resume in the Suez Canal and limit the economic fallout of the disruption....

...With the Ever Given sagging in the middle, its bow and stern both caught in positions for which they were not designed, the hull had been vulnerable to stress and cracks, according to experts. Just as every high tide brought hope the ship could be released, each low tide put new stresses on the vessel.

Teams of divers inspected the hull throughout the operation and found no damage, officials said. The ship was to be inspected again after it was freed.

The plan is to tow the ship to the Great Bitter Lake, located along the canal’s route between the Mediterranean Sea and the Red Sea, so traffic could once gain flow smoothly.

However, it would take some time to also inspect the canal itself to ensure safe passage. And with hundreds of ships backed up on either side, it could be days before operations return to normal....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer