Author Topic: Democrats plan to squeeze GOP over filibuster  (Read 301 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats plan to squeeze GOP over filibuster
« on: March 24, 2021, 01:15:38 pm »
Democrats plan to squeeze GOP over filibuster
By Jordain Carney - 03/24/21 06:00 AM EDT

Senate Democrats are eyeing the next phase of the filibuster fight as they plan a series of tests to try to squeeze Republicans and sway their colleagues wary of changing the Senate’s most famous rule.

As the House passes several big policy priorities, Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) is vowing that he will put the bills on the floor this year, setting up high-profile showdowns on President Biden’s campaign promises.

Democrats say the strategy is two-fold: It will make Republicans go on the record in opposition and could demonstrate to Democrats wary of reforming the legislative filibuster that much of their agenda will be stuck in limbo without reforms.

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) pointed to House-passed bills or legislation coming out of Senate committees that unify the caucus and garner broad support as potential areas that could elevate the filibuster discussions among Democrats.

“If Dems are all fine, then we’ll bring them up on the floor and see if we can get Republican support. I think that’s probably the next step,” he said.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), during a Senate floor speech, urged Republicans to “show us” that the Senate can pass legislation with the 60-vote legislative filibuster intact.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/544624-dems-plan-to-squeeze-gop-over-filibuster
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Democrats plan to squeeze GOP over filibuster
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 11:14:33 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins, Romney, and Murkowski end up voting with the demo-communists to trash the filibuster rule...

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 05:55:15 am »
As the democrat preachers insist, Republicans must accept compromisers to wash away chances for victories, democrats are intolerant of compromisers and purge them from their midst,giving them a certain one side vote they know they can count on. Ill will democrats counsel Republicans on how to run their party, of course they are always glad to give bad advice.  Fools can't see it though.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 09:56:24 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised to see Collins, Romney, and Murkowski end up voting with the demo-communists to trash the filibuster rule...

There's something like five retiring Senators, too.   There might be enough active traitors in the Republican caucus to destroy the filibuster.

The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.