Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

AT what age did you leave your Parents House?

<< < (5/6) > >>

sneakypete:

--- Quote from: skeeter on April 12, 2021, 08:35:05 pm ---Jeez thats a real confidence booster.

--- End quote ---

@skeeter

I didn't find out until years later what was behind that. They got rid of all my stuff the same week I left for basic training because they were trying to find another baby to take care of and needed the room for the new baby and all the stuff he or she may need. Unfortunately for them,the county turned them down because of age,health conditions,and income.

They were good people,though. They were just doing the best they could do with what they had to work with. I don't think either one of them caught an actual break their entire lives.

Hoodat:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on April 12, 2021, 10:35:21 pm ---In MY defense,that was the only family I had ever lived with,so what did I know about families?

--- End quote ---

You got that right.  Growing up, there was a huge disconnect between television families and reality.  It is hard learning how to be a good father when you were never provided an example of one.

skeeter:

--- Quote from: sneakypete on April 12, 2021, 10:39:20 pm ---@skeeter

I didn't find out until years later what was behind that. They got rid of all my stuff the same week I left for basic training because they were trying to find another baby to take care of and needed the room for the new baby and all the stuff he or she may need. Unfortunately for them,the county turned them down because of age,health conditions,and income.

They were good people,though. They were just doing the best they could do with what they had to work with. I don't think either one of them caught an actual break their entire lives.

--- End quote ---
Still it seems they had a bit of a blind spot where human nature is concerned. A young person's need for belonging doesn't shut off at age 18.

libertybele:
I moved out off and on for a few years during high school and college, went to work for an advertising agency and they offered me an unbelievable position for my age, but I wasn't ready to settle down and moved to Alaska for a couple of years, came back, and met my husband @ the ripe old age of 24 ... we'll be married 39 years (God willing) this December!  30 of those years we've lived in FL.  Collectively we have 3 children, 6 grandchildren, and 1 great grandchild and multiple grandpuppies.

Victoria33:
@mystery-ak
@Gefn

From the age I could make a plan, I knew I was going to a college/university.  After finishing high school, during that summer, went to a Jr. College about 15 miles from house; a school bus would pick me up in front of house and go to Kilgore, Texas where Jr. College was, then bring me home after the two classes - English and Math (Trig).  In the fall, went to a university, lived in a dorm, but came home for holidays.  I never lived full time at home after I started at the university.

Ladies, my Mother made all my clothes until I graduated high school which was in the east Texas oilfield.  Then, in summer before I left for the university, parents took me to Dallas, Texas, to Sanger-Harris department store.  We went to ladies clothing and my parents said buy anything I wanted.  I picked out numerous clothes to wear at the university - my first real "store bought" clothes.  Bought a for winter long coat, sort of a muted gold color and wore that coat for many years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version