Author Topic: Amidst Boy Scout bankruptcy, full extent of sex abuse scandal comes to light  (Read 999 times)

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
The writing was on the wall.  Once they decided to bow to public pressure and allow atheists in their ranks, and then sexual perverts, there was no stopping the exodus of normal parents.

BSA does not allow atheists, at least they didn't two years ago.  There were only two things a kid could say that would cause him to fail an Eagle Board of Review : I didn't actually do the work to earn the merit badges (or ranks, or Eagle project), and I don't believe in any god.

However the "interfaith" standard BSA relies on is so broad that it's just about meaningless; if a kid believes in *anything* greater than himself, then he's in.  He doesn't have to believe in a personal god and he certainly doesn't have to believe in the Judeo-Christian God.  I suppose reasonable people could consider that standard indistinguishable from atheism, but actually professing atheism would be a no-no.

Some of the "interfaith" devotionals I witnessed stretched it unbelievably to include passages from every possible faith or pseudo-faith;  I remember one that had Old Testament cites from Moses, New Testament cites from Jesus, Koran cites from Mohammed, Buddhist cites (I don't remember from whom), Native American Indian folklore cites, Hindu cites, and a cite of Satchel Paige from Major League Baseball. Satchel Paige's cite was thought provoking and it has stayed with me - "don't pray when it rains if you won't pray when the sun shines".  But BSA has watered down even the idea of faith to the point that it's just about meaningless.
James 1:20