Author Topic: Paid Lawyers for Gang Members and Public-Safety Risks in the Dream Act  (Read 161 times)

rangerrebew

Paid Lawyers for Gang Members and Public-Safety Risks in the Dream Act
Can I be reading this correctly?
By Andrew R. Arthur on March 15, 2021

In my last post, I discussed two amnesty bills that will be considered this week in the House of Representatives: H.R. 6 (the "American Dream and Promise Act") and H.R. 1603 (the Farm Modernization Workforce Act). Deep down in H.R. 6, in paragraph 102(c)(3) of the "Dream Act of 2021", is a curious provision that allows the secretary of DHS (and only the secretary) to provisionally deny an application for benefits. It contains some curious provisions that make no logical sense.

Briefly, that portion of H.R. 6 would allow aliens to obtain conditional green cards if they are illegally present in the United States, have Temporary Protected Status (TPS), Deferred Enforced Departure (DED), or are the children of certain nonimmigrants, provided that they entered the United States under the age of 18 on or before January 1, 2021.

There are also special rules in H.R. 6 for aliens who have been granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) to obtain permanent residence.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Paid-Lawyers-Gang-Members-and-PublicSafety-Risks-Dream-Act