Author Topic: “Find and Follow” Your Passion and Debunking Other Self-Help Myths  (Read 1150 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-the-advice-to-find-and-follow-your-passion-is-misguided

by Brad Stulberg
July 6, 2019

A few years ago, when I began to focus more on entrepreneurial pursuits, my mom, a former writer herself, gifted me a little book titled Passion: Every Day. It was filled with inspiring quotes like “I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession” and “follow your desire as long as you live.” This book is not unique. It’s part of a larger canon that portrays passion in an uber-positive light. The key to a good life, these books argue, is finding your passion and then following it wherever it leads. This is an especially prevalent narrative in technology, where passion is considered a prerequisite for lots of jobs. There’s only one problem: all these books and the narrative they spawned are wrong.

Passion is far more nuanced than most people think, and a superficial understanding of passion all to often leads people to suffer unnecessarily.

(excerpt)

This article is based upon Stulberg's book The Passion Paradox.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Hmmmm? Thanks for posting this @jmyrlefuller   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

People with fit mind-sets for passion are also more likely to give up on new pursuits at the first sign of challenge or disappointment, shrugging their shoulders and thinking, I guess this isn’t for me.

Furthermore, studies show that individuals with fit mind-sets actually expect their passions to dwindle over time, setting themselves up for midlife crises once their initial enthusiasm for an activity has diminished, and also, burnout — something especially widespread amongst millennials, who were sent off into the workplace with “find your passion” commencement speeches.

LOL!  What a steaming pile of horse manure.

Unless my reading comprehension is severely lacking, this (bold) is a complete contradiction of "fit mind-set".

The second paragraph is simply an excuse for any middling millennial reader.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline roamer_1

A pretty good article, but I will differ a little.

Foremost, one's passion may not be worthy of making money.

I have no doubt I would probably qualify for a professorship in ancient history and occultism, and I could likely pass a challenge to any seminary wrt Biblical matters...

But my passions, I learned early on, were not something I could make money doing. They remain my focus, but my side hustle has always been my money-maker.

Guitar is another example. Before my illness, I could three-finger pick, chicken pick, could run a guitar, electric guitar, bass, and banjo... And I was good as a front man in a band. But for all of that, by my mid 20s I had to come to grips wit the idea that I was never gong to be any better than a crappy band member playing covers in crappy bars. Being a Country music star was just not going to happen.

More to the point, one must learn to find passion in what you do DO for money.
I loved the craft of timber framing, and timber and rock retaining walls... I poured my soul into it because of its craft. I loved the precision and beauty of machining and computer sciences... The elegance of computer languages, the thrill of hacking viruses. I loved the camaraderie working on construction crews, and the magic that happens building a house with crews and contractors that have learned how to dance... I loved the efficiencies of a production shop floor, the challenges of landing on your marks juggling project schedules, heck, even putting out the endless fires that are the process of management.

Following your passion is overrated. Finding passion in anything you do.... that's where it's at.

An old indian taught me to sit still anywhere I am, and be quiet until I could see the beauty of the place. Easy to do in the majesty of these mountains I live in... but do the same inside of a ramshackle house, long abandoned... Or inside of a box car, or in a parking lot.

It will surprise you where you will find beauty.

Passion is much the same thing. You should be able to find passion for anything you do.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:09:37 pm by roamer_1 »

Online DCPatriot

@roamer_1   Good stuff!

Regarding careers:  "Find something you can love doing, and you'll never work a day in your life".

That's the beginning and end of it.  Simple.

I thought immediately of Rush Limbaugh.

He never graduated college or university, and was fired from his job a half dozen or more times before EIB.

His father, a successful attorney, never lived to see Rush's success.  What I mean here is that Rush never had his father's rabid enthusiastic support for radio disc-jockeying.

He's the epitome of "fixed mind-set".  And he gave stirring monologues regarding this employment history about having/finding "passion" for something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 07:22:53 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1   Good stuff!

Regarding careers:  "Find something you can love doing, and you'll never work a day in your life".

That's the beginning and end of it.  Simple.

I thought immediately of Rush Limbaugh.

He never graduated college or university, and was fired from his job a half dozen or more times before EIB.

His father, a successful attorney, never lived to see Rush's success.  What I mean here is that Rush never had his father's rabid enthusiastic support for radio disc-jockeying.

He's the epitome of "fixed mind-set".  And he gave stirring monologues regarding this employment history about having/finding "passion" for something.

That's right @DCPatriot ... But I can find passion in process... It doesn't matter if it is grinding diamonds or cleaning toilets. Granted, some things more than others... Once you know how to grind diamonds...  :laugh:

But everything has a process... a dance... and if you get to where you hear the tune...

One of my favorite things was to watch a new guy on the floor at my production paint shop. It wasn't long before I got to where I could predict which ones were going to get to stay... The guys that mattered invariably would step out and stand there and watch the process. And once he understood what was going on, he would find where he fit and jump in.

That's maybe 1 in 100 this day and age.

But in all things, find the tempo... hear the music... see the beauty... And you will find a passion.

Sooner or later that will lag. I am sick to death of computers. I just don't want it anymore. There is little new or exciting in it for me... I find myself excited doing things I can actually put my hands into again. That's alright. I have changed directions several times, and I expect I need to again pretty soon.

The thing I never lost the love for is the ranch. It's dumb, ain't it? but I still love cleaning stalls and throwing hay. I love fixing fences and working on tractors. It is such a varied field that you're always doing something new, with enough the same that you are always also doing something old and familiar. There is peace in that for me.

Online DCPatriot

That's right @DCPatriot ... But I can find passion in process... It doesn't matter if it is grinding diamonds or cleaning toilets. Granted, some things more than others... Once you know how to grind diamonds...  :laugh:

But everything has a process... a dance... and if you get to where you hear the tune...

One of my favorite things was to watch a new guy on the floor at my production paint shop. It wasn't long before I got to where I could predict which ones were going to get to stay... The guys that mattered invariably would step out and stand there and watch the process. And once he understood what was going on, he would find where he fit and jump in.

But in all things, find the tempo... hear the music... see the beauty... And you will find a passion.

Sooner or later that will lag. I am sick to death of computers. I just don't want it anymore. There is little new or exciting in it for me... I find myself excited doing things I can actually put my hands into again. That's alright. I have changed directions several times, and I expect I need to again pretty soon.

The thing I never lost the love for is the ranch. It's dumb, ain't it? but I still love cleaning stalls and throwing hay. I love fixing fences and working on tractors. It is such a varied field that you're always doing something new, with enough the same that you are always also doing something old and familiar. There is peace in that for me.

Can't find anything to argue about, @roamer_1

I've been self-employed and/or independent contractor since I was delivering the Buffalo Evening News at 12 years old. 

Played baseball from age 8.  And back then, we're not talking "Tee-Ball".  Live pitching...albeit we played on a softball diamond.  :tongue2:   :laugh:

So, learning how to fit in to make the 'machine' run at peak...covered, my friend.

Understand fully your point about being able to find "passion" in anything you're currently doing. 

I can see my dad sitting in 'HIS' chair, eyes blinking, Carlings Black Label in hand, saying slowly..."Even if you dig ditches, you dig the best goddamned ditch ever!!!     :laugh:

Offline roamer_1

I can see my dad sitting in 'HIS' chair, eyes blinking, Carlings Black Label in hand, saying slowly..."Even if you dig ditches, you dig the best goddamned ditch ever!!!     :laugh:

Damn straight @DCPatriot ... Any work worth doing is worth doing right!  :beer:

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Hitler and Stalin found and followed their passions.  Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy found and followed their passions.  Paula Dean found and deep-fried her passions.  It can work and have a happy ending.  You just have to keep believing in the dream.
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline thackney

“Never Follow Your Passion But Always Bring It With You”
https://medium.com/swlh/never-follow-your-passion-but-always-bring-it-with-you-f8c15e147965

“Regarding passion, I began asking around. And I heard the same thing from everyone. The happiest people I met, the people who were most passionate about their work were people who looked around, watched where everyone was going, and simply went the opposite direction. That’s how Les Swanson from Wisconsin wound up with three honey wagons. A former psychologist and guidance counselor is now sucking the shit out of people’s septic tanks full time. He’s in his 60’s. He loves his work. He can work whenever he wants.”
-Mike Rowe
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

“Never Follow Your Passion But Always Bring It With You”
https://medium.com/swlh/never-follow-your-passion-but-always-bring-it-with-you-f8c15e147965

“Regarding passion, I began asking around. And I heard the same thing from everyone. The happiest people I met, the people who were most passionate about their work were people who looked around, watched where everyone was going, and simply went the opposite direction. That’s how Les Swanson from Wisconsin wound up with three honey wagons. A former psychologist and guidance counselor is now sucking the shit out of people’s septic tanks full time. He’s in his 60’s. He loves his work. He can work whenever he wants.”
-Mike Rowe

There is truth in that.  :beer: