Author Topic: Dominic Lawson: The worst fallout from Fukushima was hysteria  (Read 190 times)

rangerrebew

Dominic Lawson: The worst fallout from Fukushima was hysteria

Date: 14/03/21
    Dominic Lawson, The Sunday Times

Merkel’s hasty rejection of nuclear energy looks more unwise than ever

Ayear after the colossal earthquake and tsunami that took the lives of 18,500 souls on the northeast coast of Japan on March 11, 2011, I visited the area. So efficient was the clean-up operation, there was no visible detritus from nature’s onslaught. Instead, I wrote in my notebook, “What can be seen is the absence of homes. Rows upon rows of footings, the reminder of where people once lived and who are now dead. It’s hard to find something to say to the young local guide, whose fiancée was among the many thousands killed.”

I also visited displaced families in prefabricated homes provided by the authorities — these were not just people whose properties had been swept away, but evacuees who had been living within a 12½ mile radius of the Fukushima nuclear power station. The Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant had been hit by a 46ft wave of water — that was the tsunami following the earthquake. It caused three nuclear meltdowns. This was, after the Chernobyl disaster of 1986, the only other event to have been measured as level 7 on the international nuclear event scale.

https://www.thegwpf.com/dominic-lawson-the-worst-fallout-from-fukushima-was-hysteria/