Author Topic: Texas Isn’t Crazy for Lifting Its Mask Mandate  (Read 326 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Isn’t Crazy for Lifting Its Mask Mandate
« on: March 13, 2021, 01:13:37 pm »
National Review By Jim Geraghty 3/10/2021

Today, Texans are no longer under a statewide mandate to wear masks in public, and businesses in the state can operate at 100 percent capacity. President Biden contends that this is “neanderthal thinking,” and many media voices consider it the most reckless decision since the state of Georgia allegedly began a formal experiment in human sacrifice in April 2020. But the data simply don’t support the argument that the Lone Star State is making a dramatic change from masking conditions a week ago, or that it is making a dramatically different move on permitted business capacity, or that states that didn’t enact mask mandates performed the worst during this pandemic.

No, Texans Aren’t Crazy, or ‘Neanderthal’

Two months before yesterday was Tuesday, January 12. On that day, the state of Texas reported 27,147 new cases of COVID-19 and 305 new deaths from the pandemic. (All numbers from Worldometers.)

Six weeks before yesterday was Tuesday, January 26. On that day, Texas reported 22,796 new cases of COVID-19 and 332 new deaths from the pandemic.

One month before yesterday was Tuesday, February 9. On that day, Texas reported 13,282 new cases of COVID-19 and 303 new deaths from the pandemic.

Two weeks before yesterday was Tuesday, February 23, Texas reported 10,090 new cases of COVID-19 and 258 new deaths from the virus.

Yesterday was Tuesday, March 9. The state of Texas reported 5,119 new cases of COVID-19, and 168 new deaths from the virus.

It’s not quite a straight or smooth line, but you can see a steady decline in cases, followed by a similar decline in deaths. This doesn’t mean the pandemic is over. But it does suggest that the worst is over. Hospitals across the state now report a significant amount of unused capacity. “State health officials in Texas reported to the federal government that 75 percent of inpatient beds and 80 percent of ICU beds in hospitals across the state were still occupied as of March 6. Around 9 percent of beds statewide were filled by COVID-19 patients, they reported.” (Unused hospital beds are good for emergencies, but not good for the long-term financial health of the hospital.)

More: https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/texas-isnt-crazy-for-lifting-its-mask-mandate/

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Texas Isn’t Crazy for Lifting Its Mask Mandate
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:15:36 pm »
Looking at Worldometers' Texas info, https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/ , 16 days after the mask mandate was lifted Texas' daily new cases numbers continue to fall. Who could athunk it?!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 04:33:20 pm »
Who could athunk it?!

:raise hand:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 04:58:42 pm »
I am in Texas.  People pretty much continue to wear masks whenever they go into a building.  I would say less the 10 percent do not.  The absence of a law does not necessarilt mean people won't generally do what's right.  The left, of course, does not want that to be known.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 05:07:58 pm »
I am in Texas.  People pretty much continue to wear masks whenever they go into a building.  I would say less the 10 percent do not.  The absence of a law does not necessarilt mean people won't generally do what's right.  The left, of course, does not want that to be known.

In my area, I would guess that it's about a 50/50 split and no one seems to mind us non-wearers.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 05:12:34 pm »

I live fairly close to Houston, and I am seeing most wearing mask going into businesses, if the sign on the door says to do so..
At the local icehouse I've been known to frequent, the sign on the door says "optional" and it about a 50/50 split.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 08:20:00 pm »
I live fairly close to Houston, and I am seeing most wearing mask going into businesses, if the sign on the door says to do so..
At the local icehouse I've been known to frequent, the sign on the door says "optional" and it about a 50/50 split.

I noticed at Brookshire Brothers where I shop for groceries, they changed the sign from "mandated by law" top "highly recoomended."  Otherwise it is the same sign in front.