Author Topic: Golden Statement on Votes Against House Firearm Legislation  (Read 412 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Golden Statement on Votes Against House Firearm Legislation
« on: March 12, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
Golden House.gov 3/11/2021

https://golden.house.gov/media/press-releases/golden-statement-votes-against-house-firearm-legislation

WASHINGTON — Congressman Jared Golden (ME-02) released the following statement following his votes against two firearms bills in the House, H.R. 8 and H.R. 1446:

“Many of my constituents have a proud tradition of responsible gun ownership. For us, firearms are a part of daily life. From hunting to competitive shooting to self-defense, we believe that law-abiding citizens have a constitutional right to access and possess firearms.

“I voted against today’s bills in February of 2019, and they remain unchanged since that time. HR 8 is a near mirror image of the Question 3 ballot initiative that failed to pass in Maine in 2016, with all 11 counties in the Second District opposing the measure. While many of my constituents support the background check system we currently have in law, this bill would require background checks for personal transfers, including common loans and trades between individuals.

“To keep firearms out of the hands of criminal offenders, we need to strictly enforce the laws we already have in place and provide the existing background check system with the resources, technology, and staffing necessary to work efficiently and without error. I support increased funding for the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to improve and automate the process, eliminate backlogs, and reduce human error. I will oppose efforts to erode our existing background check system because I know that the majority of Mainers support this system and want it to work effectively and efficiently.

“I believe my votes today remain the right decision, but I know some of my constituents feel differently. To those who do, I will continue to work with you to find areas where we do agree and can work together, today and every day that I have the privilege of representing Maine’s Second District.”