Author Topic: How to disable/enable javascript -- and why you need to do it  (Read 550 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From time to time, I see posts in the forum from members, to wit:
- I can't load that page because I don't have a subscription...
- I can't load that page because it seems blocked by a paywall...
- I load that page and it seems overwhelmed with adware and unwanted animations...
...etc.

I'm going to teach you how to GET RID of such nonsense, and read almost any page you wish, from almost any site you want.

I'm on a Mac, but I believe I can offer guidance to Windows users, as well. If you're a Windows person, just keep reading.

First, if you're a Mac user and use Safari as your main browser, you need to do this:
a. Open Safari/Preferences/Advanced
b. At the bottom, put a check into "show develop menu in menu bar"
c. Close Safari preferences.

Now, look at the Develop menu for a moment.
Look down and notice that there's a choice there, "Disable Javascript".
Just remember where this is for future use.

Now, if you encounter such a site, that wants you to pay or subscribe, head for the Develop menu and choose the Disable Javascript command.
Then, RELOAD the page (Command-R in Safari).
Chances are, the page will now magically display itself for you!
Videos and photo "slideshows" will almost certainly be disabled, but the "core text" of the page (which is probably what you wanted to see anyway) will still be there.

Here's an example to try:
https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-possibility-of-a-war-in-the-taiwan-strait-should-not-be-overlooked_3725191.html
You'll note that with Javacript enabled (normal), you can't read the article unless you're a subscriber to the site.
Now, try the disable trick, reload the page, and watch what happens.

This is "e pluribus unum" -- one example of many.

I've gone a bit further.
I went to System Preferences/Keyboard/Shortcuts/App Shortcuts
... and added the key command "Command-J" into Safari to toggle Javascript on and off.
So now... if I hit a javascript-cobbed-up page... I just hit "Command-J" and "Command-R" in succession, and the page "clears up" instantly.

But... I use other browsers as well as Safari.
And I wanted to set up a "javascript switch" for them as well.

I found that with:
- Brave
- Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Vivaldi
... there are extensions available that can be used to place a "toggle icon" up in the menu/icon bar that will do this for you.
The one I installed is named "Javascript Manager".

I couldn't find one for the Epic Privacy Browser (yet), and I haven't yet tried Opera.

OK, what about the Windows people, who I'm sure outnumber the Mac users here?

I believe the same javascript extensions should be available to you for the above browsers on the PC side, as well.
Just go to the extensions site, and search using "javascript".
The one you probably want it "javascript manager".
You just click on its icon to disable/re-enable javascript.

Folks, learn to do this, and it will make your browsing experience much more enjoyable and far less frustrating...!

Online roamer_1

Re: How to disable/enable javascript -- and why you need to do it
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:26:25 pm »
Ublock Origin takes care of ads - Youtube, as an instance is utterly ad-free for me. Most of the clutter is gone, just with that.

Note that I have recommended Ad-Block Plus in the past, but Ublock is superior.

As for scripting, I use NoScript , which blocks ALL scripting on every page... A little messin with it and you can figure out how to engage some elements and not others...

Ghostery is similar.

Still no effect against some paywalls.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 09:27:14 pm by roamer_1 »