Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein Introduces Ban on 205 Different ‘Assault Weapons’  (Read 2483 times)

Offline roamer_1

Huh? How do you mean? Because IIRC, They were offering two sizes at the counter... One was a critter-gitter caliber, like .223 or .243 - A suitable coyote round - And the other the 556... SO why 2 different rifles if you can do both?

.223 Wylde chamber
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

A .223 Wylde chamber is a hybrid rifle chamber designed to allow .22 caliber barrels to safely fire both .223 Remington and 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition. While the cartridge dimensions of both rounds are the same, 5.56 NATO loads produce pressures in excess of the .223 safe spec. The 5.56 chamber has angular differences that allow higher pressures safely. .223 can be fired from a 5.56 chamber safely but with reduced accuracy. The Wylde is a hybrid chamber designed to allow both ammunition types to be safely fired with good accuracy.

Thank you. Well ain't that something.

Offline thackney

Thank you. Well ain't that something.

Just in case you wanted yet another option to consider:

Review: Big Horn Armory AR500
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/8/8/review-big-horn-armory-ar500

I prefer more affordable ammo myself, back when we could find it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

[...]

HEY! Big Horn Armory... They're down in WY.  W00t!  :beer:

A FITTY? Woah. Yeah thanks... Kinda spendy... And I don't need big calibers very much - I have that covered.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
There is next to nothing for sale ammo wise down here. I bought a few hundred rounds in larger calibers a few years ago. Afraid to shoot it now, just gonna keep it in dry cool storage. Maybe about 10k 22 rounds to still practice with is about all.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
About the only thing plentiful is AK ammo and its expensive at 40c a round. I see a lot of M1 Carbine too, but its 60c a round, and more. But those are for Internet orders. When is that ability going to be taken away from us?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
There is next to nothing for sale ammo wise down here. I bought a few hundred rounds in larger calibers a few years ago. Afraid to shoot it now, just gonna keep it in dry cool storage. Maybe about 10k 22 rounds to still practice with is about all.

I've been standing in line at Academy Sports here every Friday and Monday because that's when they get their ammo in.  It's hit or miss on what they have...but I have been able to increase my 9mm supply.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline verga

Huh? How do you mean? Because IIRC, They were offering two sizes at the counter... One was a critter-gitter caliber, like .223 or .243 - A suitable coyote round - And the other the 556... SO why 2 different rifles if you can do both?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber?scrlybrkr=b72753f5 A .223 Wylde chamber is a hybrid rifle chamber designed to allow .22 caliber barrels to safely fire both .223 Remington and 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition. While the cartridge dimensions of both rounds are the same, 5.56 NATO loads produce pressures in excess of the .223 safe spec. The 5.56 chamber has angular differences that allow higher pressures safely. .223 can be fired from a 5.56 chamber safely but with reduced accuracy. The Wylde is a hybrid chamber designed to allow both ammunition types to be safely fired with good accuracy.

Like I said, I am a little scared of short-range optics. I probably ought to go that way, as my eyes ain't so good no more... But I grew up hating on short optics - Nothing worse to me than hauling up the rifle and seeing nothing but hair. It is REAL brushy leaning to mixed brush in the woods here, so a brush gun, it's hard telling where you see something - from 30 yards on out to 150...So optics on a brush gun are not very useful.
That is the beauty of a variable powered scope. Keep it low for close distance, crank it up for farther away.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I don't use scopes on any of my brush guns either. I'm a fan of large aperture peep sights for my non-scoped weapons. Now I scope all of my long range weapons. I did have a .22 that I scoped until I determined that it just wasn't accurate enough to warrant a scope. So off the scope came.

Offline roamer_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber?scrlybrkr=b72753f5 A .223 Wylde chamber is a hybrid rifle chamber designed to allow .22 caliber barrels to safely fire both .223 Remington and 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition. While the cartridge dimensions of both rounds are the same, 5.56 NATO loads produce pressures in excess of the .223 safe spec. The 5.56 chamber has angular differences that allow higher pressures safely. .223 can be fired from a 5.56 chamber safely but with reduced accuracy. The Wylde is a hybrid chamber designed to allow both ammunition types to be safely fired with good accuracy.

Thanks I got that, at least in general... In my head I have to convert that to 7mm which is a .283(IIRC) with a whackin wallop. That I am familiar with. I like a 7mm mag on a Rem700 frame for sheep and goat, and for antelope - all of which are rather delicate (well, not the Big Horn, but otherwise), and always a hella long shot. So a wee little bullet with a rocket on the back to get it all the way out there.

But that is also what lead me to the 300Win Mag - Way out there, that little bit more is enough to make a difference Certainly on something more durable (like an elk).

That is the beauty of a variable powered scope. Keep it low for close distance, crank it up for farther away.

Lay and wait, I get that... A coyote coming in to the bait... you have time for wigglin and adjusting things. But not in the bush. You get a clear shot for the blink of an eye and little more a lot of times. I have always found that to be a seat-of-the-pants thing.

Offline roamer_1

I don't use scopes on any of my brush guns either. I'm a fan of large aperture peep sights for my non-scoped weapons. Now I scope all of my long range weapons. I did have a .22 that I scoped until I determined that it just wasn't accurate enough to warrant a scope. So off the scope came.

yep. I am partial to open sights, with a Vernier or winchester ladder sight in reserve - which won't work well with a peep... But I must confess... I am already painting the dot with luminescent paint, and beginning to prefer light-gathering... If I have my reading glasses on I can see the dot, but nothing else... And open eye, I can see everything else, but not the dot.

It is a bother.  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

One of my shipmates owned a MAC-10 submachinegun. I wouldn't consider it an "Assault Weapon" as it wasn't select fire. His brother, a Dade Co. policeman carried a silenced MAC-11 submachinegun in a shoulder holster as his "Concealed Carry Weapon".

@Elderberry

They are  both world-class fools,and if that cop hasn't already panicked and killed at least 2 kids,1 building,and 3 Buicks,his badge should be snatched from him today.

Mac-10's are excellent weapons if you want to shoot up a building from the inside,and/or impress all the gangsta wannabe's that you know,but ain't worth a damn for anything else.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:28:40 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
AR have so many choices now.  Mine is a 7.62×39mm.

I wanted cheap ammo for a hog gun at 50~100 yd.

@thackney

I know nothing about the current AK quality,but if they are even semi-accurate,a semi-auto AK would make a fine hog gun in 7.62x39mm. Say what you will,the damn things were unbelievably reliable.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2020/8/8/review-big-horn-armory-ar500

@thackney

If you can afford the rifle,you can afford the ammunition.

All it,or any other rifle/handgun you get will do is kill what you are aiming at. With the proper bullet selection,pretty much anything will do out to 100 yards if you put the bullet where it needs to go.

Buy what you can afford to buy and shoot,and reload your own ammo so you can afford to shoot it often enough to be able to hit with it.

IMHO,things like accuracy,reliability,bullet design,and accuracy count more than anything else,provinding you aren't planning on going hippo hunting with a 22 short rimfire.

For hippos,I recommend a 105mm field gun hooked to a jeep for quick getaway if you miss.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't use scopes on any of my brush guns either. I'm a fan of large aperture peep sights for my non-scoped weapons. 

@Elderberry

Yeah,THAT!

Offline verga

yep. I am partial to open sights, with a Vernier or winchester ladder sight in reserve - which won't work well with a peep... But I must confess... I am already painting the dot with luminescent paint, and beginning to prefer light-gathering... If I have my reading glasses on I can see the dot, but nothing else... And open eye, I can see everything else, but not the dot.

It is a bother.  :shrug:
Getting older is not for wimps or sissies.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Getting older is not for wimps or sissies.

@verga

True,but it ain't all bad. It teaches you to learn patience,and to accept that you have to make adjustments as you age.

For example,I won't ever be going AFTER someone again. I am just not that mobile. So I understand that IF it becomes necessary,I need to convince them to come after ME.

Plus it can be a lot of fun to jump up (ok,ok,slowly rise) and shout "SURPRISE!"

Saves me from all that walking stuff.

Offline roamer_1

Plus it can be a lot of fun to jump up (ok,ok,slowly rise) and shout "SURPRISE!"

Not the same. People just think you pooped yourself.  :shrug:  *****rollingeyes***** **nononono*

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not the same. People just think you pooped yourself.  :shrug:  *****rollingeyes***** **nononono*

@roamer_1

PLEASE note I wrote "shout SURPRISE!"

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:55:04 pm by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

PLEASE not I wrote "shout SURPRISE!"

:silly: :silly: :silly:
Thanks Pete. I needed that this morning.  :beer:

Offline verga

@verga

True,but it ain't all bad. It teaches you to learn patience,and to accept that you have to make adjustments as you age.

For example,I won't ever be going AFTER someone again. I am just not that mobile. So I understand that IF it becomes necessary,I need to convince them to come after ME.

Saves me from all that walking stuff.
:thumbsup: