Author Topic: China Carries Out Giant Microsoft Hack  (Read 675 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
China Carries Out Giant Microsoft Hack
« on: March 10, 2021, 01:11:15 pm »
Lawrence Person's BattleSwarm Blog 3/10/2021

This isn’t good:

At least 30,000 organizations across the United States — including a significant number of small businesses, towns, cities and local governments — have over the past few days been hacked by an unusually aggressive Chinese cyber espionage unit that’s focused on stealing email from victim organizations, multiple sources tell KrebsOnSecurity. The espionage group is exploiting four newly-discovered flaws in Microsoft Exchange Server email software, and has seeded hundreds of thousands of victim organizations worldwide with tools that give the attackers total, remote control over affected systems.

On March 2, Microsoft released emergency security updates to plug four security holes in Exchange Server versions 2013 through 2019 that hackers were actively using to siphon email communications from Internet-facing systems running Exchange.

Microsoft said the Exchange flaws are being targeted by a previously unidentified Chinese hacking crew it dubbed “Hafnium,” and said the group had been conducting targeted attacks on email systems used by a range of industry sectors, including infectious disease researchers, law firms, higher education institutions, defense contractors, policy think tanks, and NGOs.

In the three days since then, security experts say the same Chinese cyber espionage group has dramatically stepped up attacks on any vulnerable, unpatched Exchange servers worldwide.

In each incident, the intruders have left behind a “web shell,” an easy-to-use, password-protected hacking tool that can be accessed over the Internet from any browser. The web shell gives the attackers administrative access to the victim’s computer servers.

More: https://www.battleswarmblog.com/?p=47526

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: China Carries Out Giant Microsoft Hack
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 07:35:04 pm »
Kingman, AZ, a city near me was attacked about 3/4, and the system remains down today.  No word on when they'll get their communications working.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: China Carries Out Giant Microsoft Hack
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:08 pm »
I hear ChinaJoe is going to issue a sternly worded response reminding Xi what he did to Corn Pop!