Author Topic: SCOTUS, 8-1: You Better Believe Students Can Sue Colleges Over “Speech Zone” First Amendment Violati  (Read 1130 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

SCOTUS, 8-1: You Better Believe Students Can Sue Colleges Over “Speech Zone” First Amendment Violations

https://hotair.com/archives/ed-morrissey/2021/03/08/scotus-8-1-better-believe-students-can-sue-colleges-speech-zone-first-amendment-violations/

That gasp heard after this ruling dropped comes from every college and university with a “free speech zone” and policies that impose heckler’s vetoes. Plaintiffs suing over restrictions on speech and religious expression on campus only need to establish “nominal damages” to gain standing, the Supreme Court ruled in an 8-1 decision, not necessarily actual damages. That opens up a vast new field of litigation that attorneys all across the country will rush to meet.

The 8-1 ruling in Uzuegbunam v Preczewski from Justice Clarence Thomas does not actually settle the case in favor of the students, but the writing is on the wall for Georgia Gwinnett College:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

rangerrebew

Supreme Court Rules 8-1 In Major Case – Clarence Thomas Leads 1st Amendment Charge, Single Vote Against Is Roberts
By Adam Casalino|March 9, 2021

What’s Happening:

With Joe Biden in the White House, and Democrats running rampant in Congress, Republicans have few recourses to defend the Constitution.

Their only hope, for many issues, is the Supreme Court. The court is the last line of defense for states to fight back against Biden’s radical left-wing agenda.

Already, crucial cases have come before this session of the court. One involved the First Amendment rights of an evangelist on a college campus. Decisions like this could affect the rights of all Americans.

But no one could have predicted the final vote.

https://thepatriotjournal.com/supreme-court-81-clarence-thomas-roberts/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=pjnewsletter

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Nothing John Roberts does surprises me anymore. Nothing at all.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Lol.  Roberts was the only dissenter, making him more of a leftwing radical than Elena Kagan.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
A Supreme Court hostile towards democrats intolerance towards Christians.  That can only mean one thing. ITS COURT PACKING TIME!
 22222frying pan 9999hair out0000 22222frying pan
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline skeeter

I must admit, I am surprised at his judicial philosophy - he doesn't think the court should be involved in anything.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Bigun

I was saying he couldn't be trusted before he even got to the court. He was,to me,obviously a member of the Boy Jorge Homosexual cadre,and who is more suitable for blackmail that a prominent homosexual judge that is still in the closet?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline bilo

Justice Clarence Thomas issued the opinion of the court Monday, siding with Chike Uzuegbunam, a former student at Georgia Gwinnett College, and affirming his right to share his Christian faith on campus.

Finally some good news!

Justice Thomas has been on the right side of issues since he's been on the court. Why, oh why, can't we get more justices like him?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

@Bigun

I was saying he couldn't be trusted before he even got to the court. He was,to me,obviously a member of the Boy Jorge Homosexual cadre,and who is more suitable for blackmail that a prominent homosexual judge that is still in the closet?

Or could it be the illegal adoption of two children?
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Or could it be the illegal adoption of two children?

Or both perhaps.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Roberts dissents.  He's afraid that people will turn to the courts to address infringements on their rights by government agencies and others.

What a strange idea that is, right?
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline The_Reader_David

Justice Thomas has been on the right side of issues since he's been on the court. Why, oh why, can't we get more justices like him?

I thought we just did.  happy77
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Hoodat

And why couldn't Bush have named him Chief Justice after Rehnquist instead of Roberts?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And why couldn't Bush have named him Chief Justice after Rehnquist instead of Roberts?

@Hoodat

Because Boy Jorge knew he couldn't get a "two-way" with Thomas.

Online Hoodat

Robert's dissent begins on pp. 17: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-968_8nj9.pdf

His reason is maddening, yet totally consistent with his unwillingness to decide any other case.  Essentially, he says that plaintiff does not have staying power because he is no longer a student at the two-year institution, and thus is no longer affected by their policies.  In addition, plaintiff was not able to prove the sought monetary damages of one dollar, thus invalidating the case.  I would question Robert's sanity at this point.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Robert's dissent begins on pp. 17: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/19-968_8nj9.pdf

His reason is maddening, yet totally consistent with his unwillingness to decide any other case.  Essentially, he says that plaintiff does not have staying power because he is no longer a student at the two-year institution, and thus is no longer affected by their policies.  In addition, plaintiff was not able to prove the sought monetary damages of one dollar, thus invalidating the case.  I would question Robert's sanity at this point.

A sane and honest Congress would impeach him.

If Trump is returned for his third term and something good happens to Justice  Roberts, I can see the Rodents all screaming that they've lost an important ally on the bench.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.