Author Topic: Latest development on China’s largest battery energy storage project  (Read 482 times)

Offline thackney

Latest development on China’s largest battery energy storage project
https://www.powerengineeringint.com/smart-grid-td/energy-storage/latest-development-on-chinas-largest-battery-energy-storage-project/
March 5, 2021

Finnish energy and environmental technology company Olion has been selected by Dalian Henliu Energy Storage Power Station Company Ltd to provide heat pumps for a battery energy storage farm in Dalian, North-eastern China.

The heats pumps will be used to cool the batteries being installed at what is claimed to be the largest battery energy storage farm in China and one of the largest in the world.

Once complete and online in 2021, the battery farm will have peak power capacity of 200MW and electricity storage capacity of 800MWh.

The Dalian battery farm consists of large vanadium redox flow batteries. The energy storage capability is based on ion reactions of the electrolyte solution flowing inside the batteries. Unlike lithium-ion batteries, vanadium batteries are free of fire safety issues and are also long-lived. They can be charged more than 20 000 times without reducing the storage capacity, and they allow charging and discharging at the same time....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Joe Wooten

It still will not make wind power competitive without massive subsidies.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Well, this solves over-reliance of a rare earth like lithium, but now I wonder whether vanadium is more prevalent and/or cheaper?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

BassWrangler

Well, this solves over-reliance of a rare earth like lithium, but now I wonder whether vanadium is more prevalent and/or cheaper?

I'm not familiar with vanadium redox, but my guess is it is much heavier than Li batteries, so suitable for a fixed installation like this, but not automobiles or portable electronics.