Author Topic: House passes police overhaul bill banning chokeholds, curbing officer immunity and more  (Read 251 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Ryan Morgan  March 04, 2021

On Wednesday night, the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives passed a sweeping overhaul of laws governing police action including banning chokeholds and reforming qualified immunity for officers.

The bill, titled the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act of 2021, passed on a vote of 220 to 212. The vote passed nearly along party lines with Democrat support, while one Republican lawmaker voted for the bill and two Democrat lawmakers voted against it.

The House passed a similar bill in 2020, but the then-Republican-controlled Senate never took up the legislation. Democrats now have narrow control of the Senate, with the body split 50-50 and Vice President Kamala Harris able to case tie-breaking votes. Still, the bill will likely have to win over 10 Republican senators to avoid fillibusters of the bill, according to The Guardian.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/03/house-passes-police-overhaul-bill-banning-chokeholds-curbing-office-immunity-and-more/

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Really?

What part of the Constitution grants Congress the authority to regulate city police procedures?

But, hell.  Eliminate the choke holds.  Just shoot the bastards.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline bilo

reforming qualified immunity for officers.

What a great way to attract good people to a real tough and dangerous job. An officer can be sued for just about anything and have a judgement issued against him losing everything he has saved and sacrificed for.

I have to deal with the court system on occasion, including trials with juries, and justice is the last thing that happens there.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Really?

What part of the Constitution grants Congress the authority to regulate city police procedures?

Took the words right off my keyboard.

We've got 27 Republican governors .... let's see if they can't put their heads together and take this to court.