Author Topic: Turner Classic Movies Examines ‘Problematic’ Film Classics in New Series  (Read 1045 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Turner Classic Movies Examines ‘Problematic’ Film Classics in New Series

Breitbart News 4 Mar 2021

(AP) — Loving classic films can be a fraught pastime. Just consider the cultural firestorm over “Gone With the Wind” this past summer.

No one knows this better than the film lovers at Turner Classic Movies who daily are confronted with the complicated reality that many of old Hollywood’s most celebrated films are also often a kitchen sink of stereotypes. This summer, amid the Black Lives Matter protests, the channel’s programmers and hosts decided to do something about it.

The result is a new series, “Reframed Classics,” which promises wide-ranging discussions about 18 culturally significant films from the 1920s through the 1960s that also have problematic aspects, from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” and Mickey Rooney’s performance as Mr. Yunioshi to Fred Astaire’s blackface routine in “Swing Time.” It kicks off Thursday at 8 p.m. ET with none other than “Gone With the Wind.”

“We know millions of people love these films,” said TCM host Jacqueline Stewart, who is participating in many of the conversations. “We’re not saying this is how you should feel about ‘Pyscho’ or this is how you should feel about ‘Gone with the Wind.’ We’re just trying to model ways of having longer and deeper conversations and not just cutting it off to ‘I love this movie. I hate this movie.’ There’s so much space in between.”

Stewart, a University of Chicago professor who in 2019 became the channel’s first African American host, has spent her career studying classic films, particularly those in the silent era, and Black audiences. She knows first-hand the tension of loving films that also contain racial stereotypes.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/03/04/turner-classic-movies-examines-problematic-film-classics-in-new-series/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Give the Nazis credit - they didn't treat their subjects like idiots - they just made a big bonfire and tossed the books in.

Offline mountaineer

... In the series, Alfred Hitchcock’s “Psycho” will face scrutiny about its depictions of transgender identity and gender fluidity in conjunction with mental illness and violence.
And on the “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” night, airing March 11, Stewart discusses the complex legacy of Sidney Poitier.

“His career is so important for the ways that white Americans really started to have more sympathy and understanding of Black people. But at the same time, there are aspects of his films that are clearly oriented primarily to white audiences,” Stewart said. “That opens up all kinds of complications for Black viewers who felt that he wasn’t a representative of the race as a whole.”  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
“We’re not saying this is how you should feel about ‘Pyscho’ or this is how you should feel about ‘Gone with the Wind.’ We’re just trying to model ways of having longer and deeper conversations

That is a damned lie.  SHe want's you to hate yourself for liking a move because you are a racist. That is the conversation. 

As greg Gutfeld say's "I hate these people."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

Prepare for all copies of these movies to be removed from the shelves (so to speak). No GWTW for you because, frankly, they don't give a damn.

Offline corbe

Other than Eddie Muller who hosts Noir Alley, they're all a bunch of pansy liberals at TCM.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Prepare for all copies of these movies to be removed from the shelves (so to speak). No GWTW for you because, frankly, they don't give a damn.
It's not like Turner doesn't have a history of disappearing things they don't like. Remember when Ted disappeared Mighty Mouse because of an episode where he inhaled deeply of a bunch of flowers and Ted's diseased mind conflated that with snorting coke so adios Mighty Mouse. For the good of the children of course because he's a  it takes a village idiot kind of guy.

Offline mountaineer

The last time I saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's," I did cringe at the scenes with Mickey Rooney's icky stereotypical portrayal of a Japanese man, but certainly don't suggest destroying copies of the film like the leftist censors usually suggest. (This just in: eBay not permitting sales of Dr. Seuss books. I'm not kidding).

We purchased a DVD of "Blazing Saddles," because we figured the time would come when the tolerant left would manage to get it pulled from the airwaves.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The last time I saw "Breakfast at Tiffany's," I did cringe at the scenes with Mickey Rooney's icky stereotypical portrayal of a Japanese man, but certainly don't suggest destroying copies of the film like the leftist censors usually suggest. (This just in: eBay not permitting sales of Dr. Seuss books. I'm not kidding).

We purchased a DVD of "Blazing Saddles," because we figured the time would come when the tolerant left would manage to get it pulled from the airwaves.
Hard to believe Blazing Saddles has managed to survive this long.
Maybe because it was so inclusive and embraced diversity.  SOme example are listed below.

Love of the Chinese. "Dock that Chink a days pay for napping on the job"
Love for the Irish. “But we don’t want the Irish!”  Ah Praire shit!
Appreciation of the Alphabet people dancing ability. "Stop dancing around like a bunch of Kansas City faggotts.
Affection for the Jews. “We’ll kill the first born male child in every household”!
Calling the Native Americans “little red devils”
Love of African Americans. By using the “n-word” 17 times in its 93-minute run !
Helping the elderly.  “Have you ever seen such cruelty?”

From a “woke” point of view, the “n-word” is hardly the film’s only problem. Its “racist language and attitudes” extend to Mexicans, Chinese, Native Americans, Germans, Arabs, Jews, and the Irish. Brooks’s cameo appearance in full Indian dress while speaking Yiddish suggests “cultural appropriation” of a magnitude that would get him expelled from Yale on any given Halloween. The governor’s lascivious relationship with his sexpot secretary lightheartedly approaches what some joyless, sex-starved diversity bureaucrat would condemn as sexual harassment. The film seeks further taboo levity in drug abuse, capital punishment, physical and mental disabilities, cruelty to animals, and farting. Its climactic battle between the townspeople and outlaws spills into a modern studio rehearsal of stereotyped gay dancers practicing a routine called the French Mistake, an old slang term for when a heterosexual man “accidentally” wanders into same-sex relations.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
Buy the Blu-rays and DVDs of the old movies you like while you can. They may not always be around.
Let it burn.

Offline mountaineer

Blazing Saddles poked fun at bigotry, which may be the only reason it hasn't been banned.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mountaineer wrote:
"Prepare for all copies of these movies to be removed from the shelves (so to speak). No GWTW for you because, frankly, they don't give a damn."

The original, unadulterated versions will still be "out there and available" -- IF you know where to find them, and IF you're unafraid to go to such places.

I am unafraid.

Help for those who are (save this post):
- Get a browser that operates through a proxy site. I use the "Epic privacy browser", but there are others
- Open a search
- Enter (for example) "torrent gone with the wind 1080p"
- See what hits you get
- Best way to go after them is to use the "magnet file" option
- You will need torrent downloading software (on the Mac, use "transmission")

The reason I put the "1080p" into the search string is to hopefully limit the search to the higher-quality copies that may be available. But if it's an old B&W movie from the 30's or 40's, you might try "720p" instead, etc.

This will work for "banned books" (such as the Dr. Seuss books) as well...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GWTW is on tonight.. :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

Blazing Saddles poked fun at bigotry, which may be the only reason it hasn't been banned.

Do not hold your breath.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
I tried scrubbing my whiteness away with no luck.  Maybe to solve the racial problem, we all embrace the Dolezal gal's mentality.  Maybe we should all declare ourselves black, and then demand reparations.  Yeah, that is a good idea.  I like it.

I do not have much hair left, but maybe I can get some braids too.  I understand they use fake hair and attach it to the real stuff.

Offline mountaineer

More from today's Breitbart:
Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho and Rope are among the films that Turner Classic Movies has deemed “troubling and problematic,” joining the ranks of Gone with the Wind in a new series called “Reframed: Classic Films in the Rearview Mirror,” which seeks to scrutinize old movies through the lens of today’s identity politics.

The new TCM series, which launched on Thursday, also seeks to pick apart such innocuous movies as Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? and My Fair Lady. ...

TCM hosts will put Psycho under the microscope for its alleged portrayal of gender identity and the way it supposedly equates transgenderism with mental illness and violence. The Hitchcock classic, which was first released in 1960, stars Anthony Perkins as a motel manager whose split personality involves dressing up as his deceased mother to carry out a murder.

Rope (1948), inspired by the Leopold and Loeb homicides, tells the story of two roommates who dare to hide the body of their victim in their New York apartment just as they are about to host a dinner party. TCM is expected to explore the  movie’s take on the protagonists’ gay relationship.  ...
"Psycho" doesn't imply that all trannies are murderous, just Mr. Bates. It's not a blanket condemnation. Good grief.

Although I've seen "Rope," I had no idea there was some gay aspect to it (guess I wasn't really paying attention). Once again, it doesn't portray all homosexuals as murderers, just the ones in the movie. Would TCM have us believe that no tranny or gay ever is capable of murder?   *****rollingeyes*****

Cancel Hitchcock: ‘Psycho,’ ‘Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,’ Among the Iconic Films Turner Classic Movies Deems Problematic.

Offline corbe

I watched 'ROPE' this morning for the uptenth time, never occurred to me the gay part.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

I watched 'ROPE' this morning for the uptenth time, never occurred to me the gay part.
I didn't care for it much, so probably saw it only once. Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't realize the actual focus was homocidal homos.