Author Topic: John Roberts has another chance to diminish the Voting Rights Act  (Read 297 times)

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
John Roberts has another chance to diminish the Voting Rights Act

Chief Justice John Roberts has singlehandedly slowed a conservative revolution at the Supreme Court in recent years, but he has for even longer -- 40 years -- opposed racial remedies and narrowly construed the landmark Voting Rights Act.
During oral arguments Tuesday in an Arizona voting rights case with national implications, Roberts sounded ready to hew to that latter path. The court's ruling could diminish the ability of Native American, Latino and Black voters to claim discrimination under the 1965 law.
In 2013, Roberts led a narrow high court majority to eliminate separate Voting Rights Act coverage related to states with a history of bias. They no longer are required to obtain federal approval for new voting districts, poll closings or other electoral change -- which prompted some states to enact new voter ID requirements and polling changes.................

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/02/politics/supreme-court-brnovich-v-dnc-case-analysis-john-roberts/index.html
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: John Roberts has another chance to diminish the Voting Rights Act
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 01:16:03 am »
That was the Old Roberts.

The New Roberts won't even attempt to defend American elections from blatant fraud and is thus complicit in the coup that placed a senile old fool and an arrogant slut in the Presidency and Vice Presidency.

He's irrelevant.

The real questions for now swirl around Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett, none of whom turned out to be particularly conservative when it came to defending the Constitution and the American people from tyranny.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:26:54 am »
That was the Old Roberts.

The New Roberts won't even attempt to defend American elections from blatant fraud and is thus complicit in the coup that placed a senile old fool and an arrogant slut in the Presidency and Vice Presidency.

He's irrelevant.

The real questions for now swirl around Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and Barrett, none of whom turned out to be particularly conservative when it came to defending the Constitution and the American people from tyranny.

How did Trump grossly miscalculate their conservatism and who suggested them to him? Were they on the list that was supposedly handed to Cruz long ago?  After all Cruz stated that he was voting for Trump  because of the likelihood that he would appoint one or two conservative justices. Did he also miscalculate?? I find that hard to believe, but if so, extremely troubling.

Perhaps we should be questioning what kind of threats have been made to them?

Were they ultimately turning their backs fearing the uprising of a Trump victory??

How this has all played out with the three of them who seemed so conservative flipping in the opposite direction is questionable and very concerning.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:17 am »
How did Trump grossly miscalculate their conservatism and who suggested them to him? Were they on the list that was supposedly handed to Cruz long ago?  After all Cruz stated that he was voting for Trump  because of the likelihood that he would appoint one or two conservative justices. Did he also miscalculate?? I find that hard to believe, but if so, extremely troubling.

Perhaps we should be questioning what kind of threats have been made to them?

Were they ultimately turning their backs fearing the uprising of a Trump victory??

How this has all played out with the three of them who seemed so conservative flipping in the opposite direction is questionable and very concerning.
my understanding is The Heritage Foundation provided the list of candidates to Trump. I guess there’s another formerly conservative organization that can no longer be trusted.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 02:22:12 am »
my understanding is The Heritage Foundation provided the list of candidates to Trump. I guess there’s another formerly conservative organization that can no longer be trusted.

The Federalist Society?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 02:25:14 am »
The Federalist Society?
You may be right, I’m not sure now.

A quick check and I see both referenced.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 02:26:54 am by skeeter »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 03:05:26 am »
You may be right, I’m not sure now.

A quick check and I see both referenced.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: