Author Topic: How To Be A Precision Shooter  (Read 600 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
How To Be A Precision Shooter
« on: March 02, 2021, 03:34:00 pm »
American Rifleman  by Maj. John Plaster - Thursday, February 25, 2021

Many rifle shooters have aspired to shoot with great precision but think they cannot afford the tools to achieve it. You could spend $5,000, or double that, for a precision rifle and top-end scope. But did you learn to drive in a Lamborghini?

The truth is that squeezing out that last iota of performance dramatically increases the price: A rifle that shoots 0.25” 100-yd. groups can cost twice as much as one that shoots 0.5” groups, which in turn might cost twice what a 1” grouping rifle does. The very best is worth it, if you can afford it and you can shoot that well. However, few novices can shoot that well.

Cost should not dissuade you from trying your hand at precision marksmanship. I’ve long believed that a new long-range shooter can get started for hundreds, not thousands, of dollars. To test my theory, I recently explored ways to balance affordability with shootability, and then test-fired the resulting combinations of rifle, scope and ammunition.

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2021/2/25/how-to-be-a-precision-shooter