Author Topic: Global Bodies Went Off the Rails When They Scrapped Ozone, Targeted Carbon Dioxide  (Read 65 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Thinker by Brian Tomlinson 3/2/2021

Some of us old timers who grew up in Southern California recall the inversion layers of particles in the valleys that trapped smog.

We later learned that the haze we saw (which was then called 'smog') was ozone, created primarily from vehicle emissions.  That was “bad” ozone. There also was naturally occurring (good) ozone, generated by the sun’s reactions with naturally emitted hydrocarbons (e.g. pine trees) that one sees over the Great Smoky Mountains.  Ozone is important, since its layer in the stratosphere protects us from intense UV radiation that is associated with skin cancer.  So, years ago, the world’s leaders got together to stop the degradation of the ozone layer by ending use of ozone-depleting chemicals. I wrote about that at American Thinker last October, in an article titled, “What’s the Endgame with Ozone.”

What I want to do now, is show that it's still the ozone-depleting chemicals, rather than the now-vaunted carbon dioxide, as what's most critical to what happens with climate.

Once upon a time, the global bodies had been on the right track.

On Sept. 16, 1987, 46 countries signed the Montreal Protocol to stop using ozone-depleting chemicals (ODCs).  There are 200 countries that have eventually endorsed the Montreal Protocol.  Developed countries were to lead the effort to roll back ODCs while developing countries were allowed a more relaxed period to stop their use.  I believe that the Montreal Protocol was a trial balloon for the Kyoto Protocol, which was all about carbon dioxide emissions.

More: https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/03/global_bodies_went_off_the_rails_when_they_scrapped_ozone_targeted_carbon_dioxide.html