Author Topic: Study identifies potential link between Soldiers exposed to blasts, Alzheimer's  (Read 224 times)

rangerrebew

Study identifies potential link between Soldiers exposed to blasts, Alzheimer's

Date:
    February 25, 2021
Source:
    U.S. Army Research Laboratory
Summary:
    Research shows that Soldiers exposed to shockwaves from military explosives are at a higher risk for developing Alzheimer's disease -- even those that don't have traumatic brain injuries from those blasts. A new study identifies how those blasts affect the brain.

Research shows that Soldiers exposed to shockwaves from military explosives are at a higher risk for developing Alzheimer's disease -- even those that don't have traumatic brain injuries from those blasts. A new Army-funded study identifies how those blasts affect the brain.

Researchers at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke in collaboration with the U.S. Army Combat Capabilities Development Command, now known as DEVCOM, the Army Research Laboratory, and the National Institutes of Health found that the mystery behind blast-induced neurological complications when traumatic damage is undetected may be rooted in distinct alterations to the tiny connections between neurons in the hippocampus, the part of the brain particularly involved in memory encoding and social behavior.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210225112922.htm

rangerrebew

I'd have thought, by now, someone would have blamed global warming and would have consecrated it as the main cause of Alzheimer's and racism, too. :whistle:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And just think,it has only taken them a couple of hundred years to realize this!

ANYTHING that rattles your brain is going to lead to future problems. I have been blown off my feet twice by RPD rocket blasts,which can't be good for me,but the people who REALLY got their "cages rattled" were the guys in APC's and tanks. I can't even begin to imagine the pain and damage a B-40 rocket exploding against the side of their "rides" would do to their
brains. Especially the guys in tanks,who are buttoned up tightly,and there is no real "vent" for the pressure.

I never really paid much attention to the RPC's. Never even bothered to look into one,but I SUSPECT they  wouldn't be as air-tight as a tank,and some of the internal pressure would be vented.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I'd have thought, by now, someone would have blamed global warming and would have consecrated it as the main cause of Alzheimer's and racism, too. :whistle:

@rangerrebew

You don't think concussions lead to brain problems in the future?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!