Author Topic: How To Overcome Weaknesses in the Western Way of Sea War  (Read 188 times)

rangerrebew

How To Overcome Weaknesses in the Western Way of Sea War
« on: February 27, 2021, 01:59:37 pm »

How To Overcome Weaknesses in the Western Way of Sea War
By James Holmes
February 26, 2021
U.S. Navy photo by MC3 Zachary Pearson

The question put to me for today is: what are some aspects of the Western way of maritime war that opponents can exploit? I chose two, and elected to use sports—and in particular the concept of the home-team advantage—as my organizing device. The first aspect is this: Western sea services are almost always the visiting team. The United States has long pursued a “rimlands” strategy around the Eurasian periphery, which by definition means we have to travel intercontinental distances, probably through contested waters and skies, just to get to the field of battle. We have to fight to get to the fight, as a U.S. Marine commandant put it not long ago.

Just look at this World War II map demonstrating how Lend-Lease supplies got to overseas allies in mid-1941. The map hints at how an opponent might obstruct our access—you’ll notice the Axis had closed the Mediterranean to Allied shipping. The problem of geography is at least as vexing in the Pacific today as it was back then. And when we do get to the battlefield we confront a difficult strategic question. Namely, what happens when a fraction of your team goes up against the whole of a hostile team on that team’s home field or court?

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2021/02/26/how_to_overcome_weaknesses_in_the_western_way_of_sea_war_661873.html