Author Topic: US military may sidestep big budget cuts backed by progressives  (Read 175 times)

rangerrebew

US military may sidestep big budget cuts backed by progressives
« on: February 26, 2021, 11:40:07 am »
US military may sidestep big budget cuts backed by progressives
By: Joe Gould   

WASHINGTON ― It’s unlikely Congress will make a sweeping, indiscriminate cut to the defense budget, despite economic pressure from the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Senate Armed Services Committee chairman.

“We’re going to deal with a much tighter budget going forward, more flat I think than rising, but within that I think we have to make judicious calls about what is worthwhile,” Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., told reporters Wednesday. “As far as across-the-board cuts, I do think there are more policy pronouncements than there are good policy.”

Progressive lawmakers are expected to restart a push to slash the Pentagon budget’s top line, set at $741 billion last year. But Reed would be a powerful opponent, likely alongside lead Republicans on the defense panels and House Armed Services Committee Chairman Adam Smith, D-Wash.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2021/02/25/us-military-may-sidestep-budget-cuts-backed-by-progressives/