Archives > Radio Shows

Rush To The Exits: Affiliates Begin Making Their Next Moves

<< < (4/6) > >>

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: HoustonSam on March 28, 2021, 02:10:10 am ---I'm with my friend @skeeter.  Timely analysis of topical issues, delivered with unapologetic style and humor, was what made Rush Limbaugh unique.  His program was inherently optimistic, hence forward-looking.  Of course Rush deserves to be long remembered, but a backward-looking memory of him does not befit his legacy nor does it make for an engaging radio program.

Were it up to me to name a single successor, that successor would be Mark Steyn.  But the reality is that EIB died with Rush.

--- End quote ---

Agree with both of you. I suspect this may actually be the beginning of the end for AM radio. Rush basically rescued it from its deathbed. Now that he's gone, I don't see any of the current crop of hosts being able to sustain his audience.

HoustonSam:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on March 28, 2021, 03:29:52 am ---There's a guy in Houston who used to be excellent (even used to sit in for Levin from time to time), but he either got lazy or decided he wanted to appeal to a less serious crowd. He has good insight, which is one of the main things that set Rush apart from others. He's had experience in the political arena as an office holder, so he knows how the system works. He is (was) able to execute a sustained program of meaningful content for a number of years.

I hardly listen to him anymore, but since he's on same network as EIB, I do catch snippets often. He's still got it, but he likes to mix it in with jabbery stuff. Bores the liver out of me. Likes to talk about music from various eras, where he once ate the best biscuits and gray, and what makes the best hamburger. Should you eat it with mustard or mayonnaise? (The obvious answer is mustard, but that's a subject for a much less weighty show.) A lot of his venue is just small talk, and I can't take that. If he were still on his game, I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

--- End quote ---

Are you thinking of Michael Berry?  Your description lines up well with my experience of listening to Berry - when he's good, he's extremely good, but he wastes far too much time on irrelevance and nonsense.

AllThatJazzZ:

--- Quote from: HoustonSam on March 28, 2021, 02:50:39 pm ---Are you thinking of Michael Berry?  Your description lines up well with my experience of listening to Berry - when he's good, he's extremely good, but he wastes far too much time on irrelevance and nonsense.

--- End quote ---

@HoustonSam

Yes, he's the one. What do you think caused the change in him? Did he get lazy? When I learned how much time and effort Rush and some of the others devote to preparation, I thought maybe Berry didn't want to take that time away from his family. I guess I can't blame him, but I still miss the Michael Berry of substance.

Cyber Liberty:

--- Quote from: AllThatJazzZ on March 28, 2021, 03:29:52 am ---One more thing: do NOT be rude to the callers. I can only take the first hour of Levin because he's so caustic to his callers. I would appreciate hearing how someone might convince a liberal to take another look at the things he/she believes. You'll never flip them with insults. If "come let us reason together" is good enough for the Lord, there must be something to it.

--- End quote ---

Levin has always been rude to his fans.  He was a real POS on FR.  His handle:  "Holdonnow."

BassWrangler:

--- Quote from: Cyber Liberty on March 29, 2021, 05:22:40 pm ---Levin has always been rude to his fans.  He was a real POS on FR.  His handle:  "Holdonnow."

--- End quote ---

Another area where Rush excelled - he was always polite to his callers. Even ones with crackpot theories, he would take the time to listen and make sure he was understanding their point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version