Author Topic: Eight men who earned more Purple Hearts than anyone  (Read 468 times)

rangerrebew

Eight men who earned more Purple Hearts than anyone
« on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:37 pm »
Eight men who earned more Purple Hearts than anyone

We Are the Mighty | February 12, 2021

This article by James Elphick was originally published by We Are the Mighty

In the United States military, the Purple Heart is a revered, if unwanted, military accolade bestowed upon those individuals who have been wounded in action with the enemy. The Military Order of the Purple Heart describes it as “awarded to members of the armed forces of the U.S. who are wounded by an instrument of war in the hands of the enemy and posthumously to the next of kin in the name of those killed in action or die of wounds received in action. It is specifically a combat decoration.”

The Purple Heart traces its lineage all the way back to the Revolutionary War when it was called the Badge of Military Merit. After World War I, renewed interest in reviving the Badge of Military Merit led to the establishment of the modern Purple Heart. When the new Purple Heart was authorized in 1932, it superseded the short-lived Army Wound Ribbon and the wear of Wound Chevrons – devices on the sleeve that denoted the number of times someone had been wounded in combat.

Two million Purple Hearts have been awarded since it was created. The men below earned more of them per individual than any others.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/eight-men-who-earned-more-purple-hearts-than-anyone/

rangerrebew

Re: Eight men who earned more Purple Hearts than anyone
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 12:39:59 pm »
It just dawned on me this article is only about men.  My bad.  It is so utterly unPC. 8888crybaby