Author Topic: 'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled  (Read 198 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled
« on: February 26, 2021, 03:45:24 pm »
'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled
By Alexander Bolton - 02/26/21 10:12 AM EST

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) on Friday announced Democrats’ “Plan B” to raise the minimum wage after the Senate parliamentarian ruled that an earlier proposal from House Democrats to raise the federal minimum wage $15 an hour did not meet special budgetary rules.

Wyden is proposing a work-around solution that would impose a five-percent tax penalty on large corporations if any of their workers earn less than a certain amount, with the penalty increasing over time.

The language would ensure that large companies would have a significant financial incentive to raise wages, even if they are not mandated by law to pay employees more than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 an hour.

“As chair of the Finance Committee, I’ve been working on a ‘plan B’ that would make big companies pay for mistreating their workers. My plan would impose a 5 percent penalty on a big corporations’ total payroll if any workers earn less than a certain amount. That penalty would increase over time,” Wyden said in a statement.

Wyden said his plan would include safeguards to prevent companies from evading the penalty by outsourcing jobs.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/540668-plan-b-for-15-minimum-wage-unveiled
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Reason10

Re: 'Plan B' for $15 minimum wage unveiled
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 04:20:33 pm »
Elections matter.
People who aren't qualified to run a lemonade stand are now dictating to businesses their human resources actions.

(I should have posted at this forum earlier than now, but I've been REALLY enjoying Pookies cartoons.
Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.

Ayn Rand