Author Topic: What 1619 Project hucksters don't understand about the history of slavery  (Read 688 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
February 21, 2021
What 1619 Project hucksters don't understand about the history of slavery
By William Alpert

The new "chroniclers" of America's past would transform our history to paint the United States a systemically bigoted state founded on racism in 1619.  The most fraudulent aspect of this dishonest scheme is that it fails to address the salient characteristic of slavery in the United States and Europe: the near elimination of slavery in the West by the mid-19th century.  This means that slavery as an institution was carried on in Europe for about three centuries from the beginning of the Enlightenment and then, in the blink of a historical eye, banned and made illegal.  Within less than a century from 1800, legal slavery had been ended worldwide thanks to the ideas of the European Enlightenment thinkers.

Until the 19th century, slavery had been a part of our shared experience since human history began.  Slavery is always brutal and inhuman, but enslavers viewed the enslaved as somehow warranting their enslavement.  For example, Aristotle stated in The Politics, "[T]hat some should rule and others be ruled is a thing not only necessary, but expedient; from the hour of their birth, some are marked out for subjection, others for rule[.]"  Others were less philosophical, but the results were similar.  In Europe, slavery ebbed and flowed, usually with the fortunes of war.  After the erosion of the Roman Empire, slavery continued in Europe, most notably in Scandinavia and Eastern Europe.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2021/02/what_1619_project_hucksters_dont_understand_about_the_history_of_slavery.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline goatprairie

Re: What 1619 Project hucksters don't understand about the history of slavery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 03:35:09 pm »
Blaming people today for for sins committed centuries ago by people who looked like them/had the same skin color is ridiculous. Everybody knows that. But there is money to be obtained i.e. stolen.
As the phrase goes, I never owned a slave, you were never a slave...get over it. But, of course, they won't. There is never an end for some people to always blame somebody else for their being a failure.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 03:36:54 pm »
The Rodents are using their lies about slavery to impose new slavery.

They never wanted slavery to end in the first place.  That's why the Democrats started the Civil War.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 03:38:51 pm »
Blaming people today for for sins committed centuries ago by people who looked like them/had the same skin color is ridiculous. Everybody knows that. But there is money to be obtained i.e. stolen.
As the phrase goes, I never owned a slave, you were never a slave...get over it. But, of course, they won't. There is never an end for some people to always blame somebody else for their being a failure.

The important fact to keep in mind as these morons whine about slavery in centuries past:

The descendants of slaves now living in America are the luckiest people on earth.   If their ancestors hadn't had market value, those descendants would today be living in Africa, not America.

It's "raycist" to say this.   Because truth is racist, apparently.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 03:43:45 pm »
The Rodents are using their lies about slavery to impose new slavery.

They never wanted slavery to end in the first place.  That's why the Democrats started the Civil War.

The issue is never the issue. The issue is always the revolution.

The rats could not care less about what happened to some poor yokel 300 years ago. Hell they don't care about them today.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 03:55:31 pm »
The important fact to keep in mind as these morons whine about slavery in centuries past:

The descendants of slaves now living in America are the luckiest people on earth.   If their ancestors hadn't had market value, those descendants would today be living in Africa, not America.

It's "raycist" to say this.   Because truth is racist, apparently.
The question, for which you will be excoriated and called a racist, is to ask a black person whining about America if they'd rather be back in Africa. Obviously, they know they're a lot better off in America.
Millions of people left places around the world where things were awful to come to America. Many of them had very tough lives little different from being a slave. For many of them their new lives in America were very tough. But they persevered.
In the last half century millions of black Africans have left their African countries and emigrated to America. You know, that awful land of white supremacy where non-whites are kept down by Evil Whitey.
No excuse for slavery, but it doesn't exist anymore in America.
However, there are still a lot of lousy countries in the world where it is very tough to eke out a living. Many of those places are in Africa. I don't see a mass exodus by black Americans in the near future out of America and back to Africa.
It always amazes me that the whiners about their awful lives in racist, white-dominated America don't leave and go back to places where there are little or no white people to oppress them.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 04:15:07 pm »
it's "raycist" to say, "if you don't like it here, don't let the door hit you in the butt when you leave."

That's about the size of it.  They don't admit the US is the greatest place to live in the world, they won't move to another.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2021, 06:54:51 pm »
The question, for which you will be excoriated and called a racist, is to ask a black person whining about America if they'd rather be back in Africa. Obviously, they know they're a lot better off in America.

YES. The principle involved here is merit.
America (and reality) dictates that liberty belongs to the individual. !YOUR! worth is directly proportional to !YOUR! merit. And the big bad world can't do a damn thing about that. Here, more than anywhere, you can climb out of any condition, lifting yourself up by your own bootstraps.

And folks know when you're trying. And they will help you along. Americans are among the most generous of people... But you have to TRY. You must risk to enjoy profit.

Without risk there is no profit. Without 'try', there can be no success.

And anything that attempts to tip that over is bad for America, and bad for the individual.

That you were enslaved in your generations does not matter here.
That your supposed inheritance was taken from you doesn't matter here. Inheritances are lost every day. What matters is your own integrity, your own ability to do. And you may lose. It happens. But you may profit too. That also happens. But you WILL lose if you don't try. AS YOU SHOULD.

My BIL is a perfect example... Costa Rican, Black as the Ace of Spades in rural America, Raised up literally dirt floor poor in coastal Costa Rica, where his whole family is drug addicted. He has no inheritance. He has no entitlement.

He came here with nothing but his two hands and a willing spirit. He bought a crappy used pickup, a squeegee and a bucket of soap and went out to make his fortune. Within two years he had three trucks and 6 employees washing his windows for him, and was moving into janitorial services...

NOW, his janitorial business is run by my sister most of the time, and the gravy off of that launched him into international real estate and construction. He has projects here, Florida, and back in Costa Rica.

Literally a self made man, with some, but very little help from our family beyond guidance.

THAT is America. THAT is meritorious. Get off your ass and make your fortune. And knowing that much about him, I doubt there is a single dang one of y'all that would not recognize it, and welcome him to citizenship.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:57:47 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2021, 07:03:21 pm »
it's "raycist" to say, "if you don't like it here, don't let the door hit you in the butt when you leave."

That's about the size of it.  They don't admit the US is the greatest place to live in the world, they won't move to another.

@Sled Dog

Why would they? There is no money or "free stuff" in it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 07:16:07 pm »
Slavery is an absolutely awful institution that has rightfully died here almost 160 years ago.  OTOH, only the most naive don't realize that social morals and normals have amended and adjusted with time.  In fact, slavery is mentioned 181 times in the Bible, and none in the context of an aboiltionist viewpoint.

This whole 1619 project is nothing more than a shameless ploy for reparations to a class of people who have been given trillions since the mid '60's. in the form of welfare, foodstamps, and other giveaways. When is enough, enough.

I have never owned a slave, and I'll be damned if I have to pay someone with my tax dollars in guilt  who has never known a person living in slavery either.   It's a sham and shakedown of epic proportions.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 07:27:14 pm »

I have never owned a slave, and I'll be damned if I have to pay someone with my tax dollars in guilt  who has never known a person living in slavery either.   It's a sham and shakedown of epic proportions.

@catfish1957

The saddest part about it is that if you can't see that slavery in the US would have died a natural death within a few years,thanks to the Cotton Gin and other farming tools,you are on the wrong side of the "retarded line". NOBODY can afford to provide food,clothing,housing,medical care,etc,etc,etc to dozens or even hundreds of workers AND their children when they can buy a machine that can do more work in one day than all those slaves could do in a week.

On top of that,it didn't even cost one thin dime to let your cotton gin or other farm machinery sit still in your barn during the off season,while slaves still have to be fed,housed,given medical treatment,clothed,etc,etc,etc all year round,regardless of if they were working and making you any money or not.

Never mind morality,economic reality and the advance of science would have killed slavery.

The northern bankers knew this and didn't care because they ran factories,and factories were more labor intensive than farming for decades after slavery ended. They wanted the slaves freed so they could flee to the north and work in their factories for starvation wages. Having never been paid or having handled money,they were easy to exploit in the labor-intensive factories of the time. They could pile them on top of each other in multi-story city housing,and even charge them rent to be taken out of their salaries,and force them to buy goods in the "company sto" to boot.

The yankee banks wanted to end slavery my big red ass. They just wanted to recreate it in a different and more profitable form.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 07:34:06 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Absalom

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 08:23:19 pm »
Many sound posts so a brief reflection supported by the scholarship of Dr. Jeremy Black.
Slavery has existed, world-wide, for multiple thousands of years, driven by a core
reality that Men are not, never were and never will be equal.
Aristotle referenced our natural inequality as a producer of inferiority and disparity across
all Mankind, which then generated degrees of dependence, sowing the seeds for slavery,
which at its core is the ascendancy of the stronger over the weaker.
There are multiple factors that institutionalized slavery, among them:
* the decision of ancient conquerors, victorious in battle, to enslave females as
   'spoils of war' in order to replenish their manpower losses.
* the choice of African Tribal Leaders to enslave, not execute, prisoners-of -war;
   in order to sell them later to generate a source of wealth.
After Ancient times and as the centuries passed, the dynamics of economics for
Mankind changed, creating new needs and eliminating old ones.
Agriculture sustained a human population which was increasing, necessitating a
more careful management of crops including irrigation, pruning and seeding which
catalyzed the development of Serfdom across much of Europe.
Then in Medieval Centuries, the need for tradesmen developed creating Guilds for
Blacksmiths, Carpenters, Bakers, Butchers, Metal workers & Weavers among many.
In turn, this led to the development of Indentured Servitude whereby an individual
could bind himself to his Master for a period of years during which he would develop
his skills and then would earn his freedom to offer these skill to those willing to pay.
Many who came to our Colonies from Europe were Indentured Servants.
Slavery has many complexities, yet our political trash insist it can be explained &
resolved by politics. Absolute and total bullshit!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:41:32 am by Absalom »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 10:41:12 pm »
Many sound posts so a brief reflection.
Slavery has existed, world-wide, for multiple thousands of years,
driven by the core reality that Men are not and never were equal.
This consequence produced economic disparity causing dependence
and quite often slaveAry. To be continued shortly.

@Absalom

Let's not forget all the raids one tribe would make on another to steal women and children in order to "freshen up" their blood supply while making their tribe stronger. I am guessing this was the major cause of conflicts before recorded history.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 11:11:37 pm »
@Absalom
Let's not forget all the raids one tribe would make on another to steal women and children in order to "freshen up" their blood supply while making their tribe stronger. I am guessing this was the major cause of conflicts before recorded history.
----------------------
That factor is certainly part of the larger picture.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 03:08:51 am »

Every time they would call you a racist for saying that, just remind them of Muhammed Ali's quote about thanking God his granddaddy got on that boat.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2021, 05:38:14 am »
Slavery is an absolutely awful institution that has rightfully died here almost 160 years ago.  OTOH, only the most naive don't realize that social morals and normals have amended and adjusted with time.  In fact, slavery is mentioned 181 times in the Bible, and none in the context of an aboiltionist viewpoint.

This whole 1619 project is nothing more than a shameless ploy for reparations to a class of people who have been given trillions since the mid '60's. in the form of welfare, foodstamps, and other giveaways. When is enough, enough.

Yeah, that's right.

God never hired Moses to set His chosen people free.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 05:44:24 am »
Slavery was allowed in states and territories outside of the agrarian South.

And those places, not being agrarian, had no use for slavery.  Slavery was economical, after a fashion, for plantation owners.  Not for miners and ranchers in New Mexico and elsewhere.

It's not economical now, which makes it all the more curious that the Rodents are doing everything they can to re-impose slavery in the US.

Offline LegalAmerican

Offline Absalom

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 04:45:09 pm »
The Untold Story of Arab Slave Trade Of Africans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov9GFP
--------------------------------
The Arab Slave Trade of Black Africans is some 2,000 years old; chronicled by the Britannica.
The African Tribal Chiefs saw an opportunity to generate wealth by selling prisoners, from
chronic warfare, rather than executing them.
Then the Arab Corsairs sailing the Indian Ocean stepped up as bus drivers, transporting
slaves to the Markets at Jeddah on the Red Sea; a condition that exists today.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 05:10:03 pm »
Yeah, that's right.

God never hired Moses to set His chosen people free.

Here's a few POV's to respond to your comment that might contradict that the Jews were a totally enslaved peoples....

https://reformjudaism.org/were-jews-slaves-egypt
https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium-were-hebrews-ever-slaves-in-ancient-egypt-yes-1.5429843
https://www.religiouscriticism.com/bible/the-jews-were-never-slaves-in-egypt/

From what I have read, it seems there were or may have been Jewish slaves, but most of the evidence indicates that the were not enslaved totally as a people.

And you still missed my overall point.  What is accepted as socially acceptable though history has changed through the eons.  While obvioulsy slavery is a depsicable institution,  it was never castigagted so in the Bible in a abolitionist slant.  In fact the first active legal abolitionist act didn't happen until 1794 in France. In my eyes, that is relatively recent history in grand scheme of things.

I am all for anyone being held accountible for practicing slavery.  Problem is, outside some one off lawbreakers, there are no people to hold liable.  And if these dipshits want to start holding people's ancestors to account, then we can take this shit back 1000's of years if we need to.  This whole process again, is highly choreographed Shake Down.  Nothing Less.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 05:44:14 pm »
Here's a few POV's to respond to your comment that might contradict that the Jews were a totally enslaved peoples....

https://reformjudaism.org/were-jews-slaves-egypt
https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium-were-hebrews-ever-slaves-in-ancient-egypt-yes-1.5429843
https://www.religiouscriticism.com/bible/the-jews-were-never-slaves-in-egypt/

From what I have read, it seems there were or may have been Jewish slaves, but most of the evidence indicates that the were not enslaved totally as a people.

@catfish1957

Was anyone,prior to the Russian Revolution of 1917?

I guess an argument could be made for the Nazi's of the 30's,but I think they screwed up by going to war against the world before they had completely turned Germany into a prison camp.

Offline Sled Dog

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 06:03:40 pm »

Whatever.

Your claim was THE BIBLE had 181 references to slavery and none of them opposed it.

The Book of Exodus is an important part of the Old Testament, which is part of the Bible.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 06:22:07 pm »
Whatever.

Your claim was THE BIBLE had 181 references to slavery and none of them opposed it.

The Book of Exodus is an important part of the Old Testament, which is part of the Bible.

Enslavement and Oppression are two different concepts. And opression  better describes the plight of the Jews from Egypt circa 1430 bc.  In fact, Exodus 13:1-16  notes that they left with their livestock.  Think slaves would have owned their own oxen, and cattle?  I am sure there were slaves, but not totally as a people.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2021, 07:12:19 pm »
Here's a few POV's to respond to your comment that might contradict that the Jews were a totally enslaved peoples.
And you still missed my overall point.  What is accepted as socially acceptable though history has changed through the eons.  While obviously slavery is a despicable institution,  it was never castigated so in the Bible in a abolitionist slant.  In fact the first active legal abolitionist act didn't happen until 1794 in France. In my eyes, that is relatively recent history in grand scheme of things.
I am all for anyone being held accountable for practicing slavery.  Problem is, outside some one off lawbreakers, there are no people to hold liable.  And if these dipshits want to start holding people's ancestors to account, then we can take this shit back 1000's of years if we need to.  This whole process again, is highly choreographed Shake Down.  Nothing Less.
---------------------
From "Slavery, A Global History" by Professor Emeritus, Jeremy Black of Exeter/UK.
"Moreover, slavery was accepted as a fact of life by the Old Testament and practiced
in Ancient Israel, an issue raised by the defenders of slavery in the American
(Confederate) South prior to the Civil War."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 07:29:32 pm »
---------------------
From "Slavery, A Global History" by Professor Emeritus, Jeremy Black of Exeter/UK.
"Moreover, slavery was accepted as a fact of life by the Old Testament and practiced
in Ancient Israel, an issue raised by the defenders of slavery in the American
(Confederate) South prior to the Civil War."

Well yes and no. Someone's misinterpretation of the Bible does not represent the Bible itself.

Torah does not in fact condemn slavery, but it does leave explicit instructions with regard to servitude, which in fact align more with abolitionists than it does those who would use it to endorse slavery according to the world.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 07:30:40 pm by roamer_1 »