Author Topic: Rush’s Monument  (Read 126 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Rush’s Monument
« on: February 18, 2021, 07:24:07 pm »
https://www.city-journal.org/rush-limbaugh

Rush’s Monument
Let us all speak, and fearlessly.
by Andrew Klavan
February 17, 2021

Closing excerpt:
============
I liked Rush Limbaugh. I only turned on his show out of curiosity, so help me. But to my surprise, I did not find him evil in the least. He was just talking sense, really. Freedom. Constitutional limits on government. What was wrong with that?

Plus he was funny too, really funny. How could I not be delighted at the fear and loathing he inspired in the great and good? During my long absence from America, the great and good had become such smug, small-minded, and provincial little people, it was a guilty pleasure to watch them writhe on the flame he lit beneath them. For decades, feminists had called men “pigs.” Now Rush called them “feminazis,” and they threw their aprons over their faces and sobbed about his lack of civility. For decades, race-mongers had blamed an innocent generation of whites for a history that they hadn’t made, and now Rush mocked the mongers with wicked impressions, and declared it was time for black Americans to get on board the freedom train with their white fellow citizens.

It was beautiful. Courageous. The kind of radio magic I’d grown up with. And it changed me, or at least helped me change. Rush gave a joyful voice to the new thoughts I didn’t even know I’d had.

I do not cry for dead celebrities. I have just enough tears for the people I know and love. But I choked up when I heard that Rush had left the studio. He was silenced just at the moment when the elite and powerful would silence us all. Our politicians seek to demonize half the nation—Rush’s half. Our news media calls for censorship. Tech billionaires sit on their mountains of gold and gesture like foppish princes to tell us who shall speak and who shall not.

Let us defy them, then. Let us all speak, and fearlessly. Let that be Rush’s monument. In a way, he built it himself.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rush’s Monument
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:27:22 pm »
From the article:
"...I choked up when I heard that Rush had left the studio. He was silenced just at the moment when the elite and powerful would silence us all."

Just a thought, don't mean nuthin', but...

Losing Mr. Limbaugh, particularly at this crucial moment in history, one feels as General Lee must have felt when he first heard that Stonewall Jackson was gone...

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 07:32:30 pm »
From the article:
"...I choked up when I heard that Rush had left the studio. He was silenced just at the moment when the elite and powerful would silence us all."

Losing Mr. Limbaugh, particularly at this crucial moment in history, one feels as General Lee must have felt when he first heard that Stonewall Jackson was gone...

Amen, @Fishrrman   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 01:39:24 am »
From the article:

Stonewall Jackson was shot by his own troops.

Pretty much like what McConnell did to Trump.

Rush was a national treasure, but we all knew, for thirty years, that he wasn't immortal.  He certainly expected us to keep fighting the good fight, and we shouldn't let his memory down.

I started listening to Rush in 1989, just after he went nationwide.  He was hilarious.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 01:43:33 am »

Stonewall Jackson was shot by his own troops.

Pretty much like what McConnell did to Trump.

Rush was a national treasure, but we all knew, for thirty years, that he wasn't immortal.  He certainly expected us to keep fighting the good fight, and we shouldn't let his memory down.

I started listening to Rush in 1989, just after he went nationwide.  He was hilarious.
He was. I especially liked the Paul Shanklin parodies. I’m surprised we haven’t heard from Shanklin since Rush passed. He was a big part of the show during the Clinton years.