Author Topic: Fake News of 'Out-of-Control' ICE Enforcement under Trump Driving Bad Biden Policies  (Read 179 times)

rangerrebew

Fake News of 'Out-of-Control' ICE Enforcement under Trump Driving Bad Biden Policies
ICE under Trump never approached the 400,000 removals it had resources to achieve
By Andrew R. Arthur on February 17, 2021

As I noted in a January 15 post, misperceptions (fueled by media and special interest group reporting) about ICE enforcement under former President Trump is warping President Biden's immigration policies and proposals. In a February 15 follow-up, I detailed how, as a result, new draconian restrictions on ICE enforcement by the Biden administration (some in the proposal stage) go beyond not only Trump's policies, but those of Biden's old boss, President Obama, as well. Here are the facts to counter that "fake news" about "out of control" immigration enforcement under Trump.

Before I begin, however, let me prove the fundamental point about descriptions of ICE enforcement under the last administration.

A July 12, 2019, post from Human Rights Watch on a planned operation to arrest "undocumented immigrant families in at least 10 major cities" under final orders of removal (as well as any other illegally present aliens ICE encountered) was captioned "ICE Raids on US Immigrant Families Risk Serious Abuses: Trump Administration Policies Fostering Cruelty, Terror".

Strong words, which were repeated in that post. Similarly, a May 2017 opinion piece from The Guardian (UK) began:

https://cis.org/Arthur/Fake-News-OutofControl-ICE-Enforcement-under-Trump-Driving-Bad-Biden-Policies