Author Topic: Former Illinois House Speaker resigns amid bribery investigation  (Read 357 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Former Illinois House Speaker resigns amid bribery investigation
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:19:53 pm »
Former Illinois House Speaker resigns amid bribery investigation
By Jordan Williams - 02/18/21 11:53 AM EST

Former Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan (D) is resigning from the state legislature at the end of the month amid a bribery investigation.

“Today I am announcing that I will resign as state representative of the 22nd district at the end of the month,” Madigan said in a statement published by WGN Radio in Chicago. “It has been my great honor to serve the people of Illinois as speaker of the House and state representative of the 22nd District.”

Madigan has faced scrutiny over a federal probe over a bribery scheme in which Commonwealth Edison allegedly sought to win Madigan’s favor.

Four people connected to the scheme, including a close confidant of Madigan, have pleaded not guilty in federal court. However, Madigan has not been charged with a crime, and has denied wrongdoing or knowledge of the scheme.

His office previously faced scrutiny amid a "Me Too” investigation involving one of his top aides.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/539402-former-illinois-house-speaker-resigns-amid-bribery-investigation
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34