Author Topic: Texas largely relies on natural gas for power. It wasn’t ready for the extreme cold.  (Read 2909 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
You stole my thunder.  If I wanted to get a generator like @Lando Lincoln's, I'd get a large container for Propane or something similar.  I'd never use natural gas piped in, because a crisis that can crash the electrical grid, will bring down the gas distribution network as well. 

Tanks of gasoline or diesel present problems of their own because there is a shelf life.  There would have to be a routine for rotating the stock, like in a pantry of canned goods.

That's all correct although diesel can be stored for much longer than gasoline. I'm installing a dedicated 500 gallon propane tank with the 17KW unit.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

Looking at finally breaking down and getting back up generation (Generarc). Hate shelling out for 3 of 'em at $10K a piece.  But still if NG goes out, same boat I guess.

You can get dual fuel in Nat Gas or Propane.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Power-Equipment-Generators/Dual-Fuel/Natural-Gas/N-5yc1vZbx8lZ1z0o1x6Z1z17kbo?storeSelection=
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Lando Lincoln

That's all correct although diesel can be stored for much longer than gasoline. I'm installing a dedicated 500 gallon propane tank with the 17KW unit.

That's the perfect set up.  I have the 650 gallon tank already so that is what I am going with in my case.  The 23kW?  Might be overkill but I have a 30'x60' shop with its own 200 amp service and it's a guy thing.  In my area, Kohler is big (a Wisconsin company with a lot of local reps).  I will shop for best deal between Generac and Kohler, including service.  But it will get done this spring.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
That's the perfect set up.  I have the 650 gallon tank already so that is what I am going with in my case.  The 23kW?  Might be overkill but I have a 30'x60' shop with its own 200 amp service and it's a guy thing.  In my area, Kohler is big (a Wisconsin company with a lot of local reps).  I will shop for best deal between Generac and Kohler, including service.  But it will get done this spring.

Many years ago my dad and I bought a tractor together and I let him talk me into one that was just big enough to do what we wanted to do.   BIG mistake! Get one that will EASILY do what you want to do. MUCH more efficient.

And BTW: my shop just happens to be 30 X 60.  Don't go out there much when it's really cold though.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 04:20:31 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

Many years ago my dad and I bought a tractor together and I let him talk me into one that was just big enough to do what we wanted to do.   BIG mistake! Get one that will EASILY do what you want to do. MUCH more efficient.

And BTW: my shop just happens to be 30 X 60.  Don't go out there much when it's really cold though.

:thumbsup:
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

Like this one....

https://www.samsclub.com/p/ai-power-portable-generator-6000-watt-dual-fuel/prod24963485?xid=plp_product_25

A note to y'all who might be looking for a generator...
Get brand comparison anyhow you choose.. but the ting to be sure you get is a generator big enough for 220v - That it HAS a 220v receptacle for output. That will start somewhere around 8500w models.

The reason is this: If you have 220 output, you can install a manual fail-over box to your breaker box on the house pretty cheap. This has a lever to throw that kicks OFF your Mains IN - your power from the pole, and switches that 'power IN' to a 220v weatherized receptacle on the outside of your house.

With a prepared cord, all you need do is throw that lever, plug the cord into that receptacle, and the other end to your jenny, and away you go - your house is powered.

But understand: even though you have 220v it is unlikely you get to use 220v appliances. More than likely it will not run your electric dryer or electric stove - And even the nuke will be questionable.

But your lights, fridge, freezer, gas furnace and so on - very likely the rest of the whole house will work like normal.

If you have an electric furnace or baseboard electric heat, none of that will work off a low end 220v generator. So in this case (and any case really) a secondary heat source that does not require electricity goes hand in hand with buying a jenny.

I would put a wood stove or coal stove WAY ahead of a jenny in priority.

Offline Lando Lincoln

I need to install a wood stove at my new place.  I have LP forced air furnace on the upper level and a boiler/heated floors for lower.  I only have a fireplace as a back up. The good news?  I estimate I have 10 full cords of stacked firewood. Maybe more. All oak, maple and cherry. I have hundreds of feet of clear hardwood boards for woodworking. All courtesy of previous owner.
John Steinbeck

Online roamer_1

I need to install a wood stove at my new place.  I have LP forced air furnace on the upper level and a boiler/heated floors for lower.  I only have a fireplace as a back up. The good news?  I estimate I have 10 full cords of stacked firewood. Maybe more. All oak, maple and cherry. I have hundreds of feet of clear hardwood boards for woodworking. All courtesy of previous owner.

A cabin in the North woods without a wood stove? How did that even happen? It boggles the mind.  :laugh: :beer:

Online libertybele

Good idea. I wouldn't live up north without a good woodstove; best source of heat.  You are very fortunate to have 10 cords of wood (which is quite a lot).  One year we had a cord of wood delivered that was mostly green (that's why they were kind enough to stack it for us). IMHO cherry is the best.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I have hundreds of feet of clear hardwood boards for woodworking. All courtesy of previous owner.

If you could send me a few board feet of that Cherry I would be happy to pay the freight! @Lando Lincoln

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Lando Lincoln

A cabin in the North woods without a wood stove? How did that even happen? It boggles the mind.  :laugh: :beer:

Gives me a task to look forward to... I have 170 acres of hardwood timber and no wood stove.  What a deal!
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

If you could send me a few board feet of that Cherry I would be happy to pay the freight! @Lando Lincoln

Let me check it out!  I need to get up there.  I'm so anxious.  Of course, I have seen the stacks.  If I have some cherry, it will be on its way. 
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Let me check it out!  I need to get up there.  I'm so anxious.  Of course, I have seen the stacks.  If I have some cherry, it will be on its way.

Fantastic!  Thanks! I only need a few BF.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

1. Complaceny in freeze protection design and standards in facilities, due to event rarity

@thackney

Another factor that I had heard was the winterize checks these plants usually conduct was delayed due to covid.
They basically were self-assessed without verification that they we ready.

Online roamer_1

Gives me a task to look forward to... I have 170 acres of hardwood timber and no wood stove.  What a deal!

I always wanted to retire to a nice piece of land with a creek... And an old timey water driven mill to settle in and build beautiful things in wood.

Needless to say, I envy you some.

Last I did was a full size billiard table framed in D fir timber work, with pearl and ebony overlapping leaf and scroll-work inlay around the top, and hand carved mountain scenes on all the the blue pine skirts. Ball and claw carved feet... That's the sort of thing I want to do... Massive ornate hutches, billiard tables, dining sets...

Offline thackney

1. Complaceny in freeze protection design and standards in facilities, due to event rarity

@thackney

Another factor that I had heard was the winterize checks these plants usually conduct was delayed due to covid.
They basically were self-assessed without verification that they we ready.

While possible, I know the plant I work in, operation and maintenance is basically unchanged this past year.  Lots of others were moved off site, including me and still part time now.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Free Enterprise would never be so foolish as to build these wind farms.  Oil, gas and coal remain King to the rational world.
If you were a hostile foreign power seeking to destabilize our country, one way is to manufacture cheap wind turbines and convince the US to buy them in order to reduce our electric grid reliability.

Meanwhile, you buy coal from them and build more coal plants. All of which China is doing.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

yep, I was going to buy a 65 hp one but my 90 year old neighbor talked me into a 100 hp one. And I never regretted it.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RetBobbyMI

@catfish1957

It appears Gov. Abbott has blackouts as most everyone does in Austin:

"In the Austin area, emergency crews have been flooded with calls out about broken water pipes and roughly 40% of Austin Energy customers are without power due to so-called rolling blackouts. Residents have been asked to conserve their own power usage, too."
I always wondered when your sitting in the dark, the house temperature drops into the 50’s, if not lower, and you have no water, how you’re supposed to take seriously the utility companies going to the media and asking people to conserve.  :shrug:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy