Author Topic: Three years after Parkland, will President Joe Biden and the new Democratic Congress act on guns?  (Read 581 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
South Florida Sun Sentinel By Skyler Swisher Feb 11, 2021

Three years after the Parkland school shooting, gun control activists are optimistic that thoughts and prayers finally will be traded for concrete action.

Virginia Tech. Sandy Hook. Pulse. Las Vegas. Parkland. Those words have become shorthand for the darkest days in America’s gun violence epidemic.

But after the initial outrage faded, Congress moved on without passing reforms desired by gun control activists. Calls for universal background checks and a ban on military-style weapons went unheeded. Today, the pandemic is the dominant issue facing politicians and motivating voters. Meanwhile, gun violence spiked in 2020, and firearm sales are hitting record numbers.

Advocates are hoping recently elected President Joe Biden and the Democratic Congress will act. Gail Schwartz, chairwoman of Ban Assault Weapons Now, said weapons designed for war need to be banned for civilian use as they are in other countries.

“We didn’t do it after the Pulse nightclub shooting, when 49 of our fellow Floridians were slaughtered,” said Schwartz, whose 14-year-old nephew Alex Schachter was killed in the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. “We didn’t do it after Parkland, when our kids and our educators, 17, were slaughtered. But we must do it now.”

More: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/fl-ne-parkland-anniversary-gun-legislation-ss-prem-20210211-xhqpbqpucbbjnbxl5nkummoq2y-story.html

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39

Jen Psaki
@jrpsaki
·
Sep 12, 2019
Thank you
@BetoORourke
 take guns. Please.  No one needs an assault weapon. This is a crisis.

She's using her official Twitter account to espouse her personal beliefs that aren't policy and violate the Constitution.

People better wake up and start to "fight like hell" or we're going to find ourselves at the wrong end of a gun having our houses raided for the weapons we legally own.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline libertybele

I have been avoiding reading posts in here --- I am too damned afraid of losing our 2A .... not trying to bury my head in the sand, but I'm having a very difficult time dealing with all of this...it makes me ill.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
I have been avoiding reading posts in here --- I am too damned afraid of losing our 2A .... not trying to bury my head in the sand, but I'm having a very difficult time dealing with all of this...it makes me ill.

Buy what you think you need while you think you can afford to.  Then have a plan to hide what you have.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline libertybele

Buy what you think you need while you think you can afford to.  Then have a plan to hide what you have.

That's the worry --- my husband isn't motivated. I'm working on it. In all fairness he's in worse health than I am.  Praying a lot.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:42:19 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
That's the worry --- my husband isn't motivated. I'm working on it. In all fairness he's in worse health than I am.  Praying a lot.

My wife and I have been going and buying 2-5 boxes of ammo in the various calibers we shoot every tie we get paid.  That begins to add up on our ammo supply.

The challenging par for you as I see it will be getting the weapons you think the two of you will need.  The wife and I pretty much have the pistols we need (but not all that we want).

The last piece of the puzzle we need and has been delayed because I didn't have a job is getting a pair of AR-15's.

But that's about to change.