Author Topic: Dave Ramsey on stimulus checks: 'If $600 or $1400 changes your life, you were pretty much screwed al  (Read 595 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Dave Ramsey on stimulus checks: 'If $600 or $1400 changes your life, you were pretty much screwed already'
By Lexi Lonas - 02/11/21 07:20 PM EST

Dave Ramsey, known for his financial advice, went on Fox News and criticized the idea of another round of stimulus checks for the country during the coronavirus pandemic.

“I don't believe in a stimulus check because if $600 or $1400 changes your life, you were pretty much screwed already. You got other issues going on,” Ramsey said in the interview.

Congress has been debating another round of stimulus checks as many are still out of jobs and struggling due to the pandemic.

Ramsey said there are other issues in a person’s life, like career or debt problems, if a stimulus check is that impactful to a person.

“That’s not talking down to folks. I’ve been bankrupt. I’ve been broke. I work with people every day who are hurting. I love people. I want people to be lifted up, but this is, again, it is just political rhetoric,” Ramsey said.

more w/video
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/538549-dave-ramsey-on-stimulus-checks-if-600-or-1400-changes-your-life-you-were-pretty
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Well, yes, a lot of these people lost their jobs because of the shutdowns and many small businesses were unable to sustain.  I see this as an insult to many. $600 and $1,400 may not change lives but it may help people pay a couple of bills this month.

The obvious of course; JOBS.  Biden hasn't said boo about job creation; only raising the minimum wage which will kill even more jobs.... 888mouth 9999hair out0000
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Can we cancel Dave?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Can we cancel Dave?

LOL...some will try.  I happen to agree with Dave on this. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
He's right, though.

Even $2000 doesn't go very far in the Age After The Illegal Alien From Kenya.

In many places, like Los Angeles, it won't even cover the rent.

So they get two grand, once.   And the Rodents make every effort to close even more businesses.   Then what?

The people need jobs, not money borrowed from China.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
The well off look down in contempt on those who struggle to survive, especially those with children..  Biden has half the nation out of work, they ships boat loads of money to foreign nations, puts more than ten thousand good paying jobs for people out of work, and continues on his job killing ways, telling people to get green jobs. Jobs that are some day in the future or in foreign lands.  Many people have been out of work for a YEAR, obviously Dave Ramsey has little concern for those suffering, even children. It shows how far this nation has drifted away from God.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

He's right, though.

Even $2000 doesn't go very far in the Age After The Illegal Alien From Kenya.

In many places, like Los Angeles, it won't even cover the rent.

So they get two grand, once.   And the Rodents make every effort to close even more businesses.   Then what?

The people need jobs, not money borrowed from China.
Agreed.

Median household income in the US is about $68,000.

$2,000 is about 10 days of living.  Will not change much at all.

Have listened to Dave for years.  His entire premise is fiscal responsibility, and his top priority is to reign in expenses and establish an emergency fund of 3 to 6 months.

In the case of our average income, this would be $17,000 to $34,000.

That is the pile you rely upon when things get tough, not some piddly amount from the feds.

This is about teaching people to fish rather than giving them fish.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mountaineer

I agree with him and his views on being financially responsible. Saving for that rainy day has been second nature for me, even when I barely had two dimes to rub together - a few pennies still went into savings.

But that doesn't mean I don't empathize with those who didn't put their houses in order, so to speak, before the Covid shutdown destroyed certain industries. Most of the folks in my county have put themselves in that paycheck-to-paycheck situation, or maybe circumstances beyond their control are responsible. No matter. I'm more than happy to lend a helping hand. Having "the government" dole out the relief by forcibly seizing my money and then redistributing in little droplets is ineffectual and inefficient, though. Like Sled Dog said, the people need jobs, not a handful of change. Open up the damn economy. Let the restaurants serve food.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline christian

Some things just never change, eh?  Countless BILLIONS GIVEN TO FOREIGNERS THAT OFTEN HATE AMERICA, AND NOT A WORD OF CRITICISM, but money going to out of work destitute Americans.  Oh hell no, none of that!  Hell no!  What of young people, new to the job force, their jobs going to foreigners come to America just to take jobs here?  Oh ,no, no problem with them taking their jobs either.  The piss on America crowd, give it all to foreigners brainwashing has indeed been one of the communists best brainwashings.

Offline cato potatoe

Some things just never change, eh?  Countless BILLIONS GIVEN TO FOREIGNERS THAT OFTEN HATE AMERICA, AND NOT A WORD OF CRITICISM, but money going to out of work destitute Americans.  Oh hell no, none of that!  Hell no!  What of young people, new to the job force, their jobs going to foreigners come to America just to take jobs here?  Oh ,no, no problem with them taking their jobs either.  The piss on America crowd, give it all to foreigners brainwashing has indeed been one of the communists best brainwashings.

Printing several hundred billion dollars won't help anyone in the long run.  The welfare needs to end here.  Otherwise, there will be a trillion dollar bill every quarter.

Offline mountaineer

Dave Ramsey replies to social media outrage over his comments on the stimulus: 'I have upset and melted many snowflakes!'
News

'They can't fix your life... it's up to you to fix your life'
Carlos Garcia
February 11, 2021
Personal finance guru Dave Ramsey was surprised when his comments against the proposed $600 stimulus went viral on Twitter and he offered a fiery response to all his critics.  ...

"So I said on Fox News this morning, that I don't believe in the stimulus check because if you get $600 or $1,400 and it changes your life, you didn't have a life, you're already screwed," explained Ramsey.

"And apparently that's news to people. It's like, apparently, I have upset and melted many snowflakes!" he exclaimed.

"I mean, honestly, I thought it was a fairly obvious thing! If $600 changes your life, your life really sucks! You don't have a life, you're screwed!" he added.  ...

Ramsey went on to explain that he wasn't intending to "poor-shame" people, as his critics accused, but only pointing out that many people needed to improve their financial standing so that they wouldn't depend on a check from the government to improve their lives.

"My point is that they're lying to you, they're not really helping you!" Ramsey said of the government.  ...
The Blaze
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline christian

Ramsey talks just like he's on the half of the country that hasn't been made unemployed, and as such could care less of his fellow man.  How human of him, of the highest attributes or the lowest ?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I sailed wrote:
"Have listened to Dave for years.  His entire premise is fiscal responsibility, and his top priority is to reign in expenses and establish an emergency fund of 3 to 6 months."

Those days are OVER.
They're GONE.
They're not coming back for a long, LONG time.

Not until a catastrophe so terrible and destructive that it won't really matter one way or the other...

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I've slowly seen Ramsey get more and more condescending recently. Is he becoming detached from the struggles of the people he's trying to help?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I've slowly seen Ramsey get more and more condescending recently. Is he becoming detached from the struggles of the people he's trying to help?
I think he is fed up like I am on people being told they need to be personally responsible for their own actions yet they continue to spend more than they earn and go deeply into debt so bad they live paycheck to paycheck.

Suck it up in the short term for living more comfortably in the long term.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online roamer_1

I sailed wrote:
"Have listened to Dave for years.  His entire premise is fiscal responsibility, and his top priority is to reign in expenses and establish an emergency fund of 3 to 6 months."

Those days are OVER.
They're GONE.
They're not coming back for a long, LONG time.

Not until a catastrophe so terrible and destructive that it won't really matter one way or the other...

Not so much.

It is a lot like the difference between city and rural living... Folks routinely come out here with a big money wad, and spend like a sailor, and as a matter of course, don't know what to do when the money runs out - and it ALWAYS runs out.

Because a rural economy does not run so much on money. Money's great, sure. Buys you big screen tvs and 4-wheelers and such... But when the money dries up (and it will) and the four-wheeler gets sold, there's still a horse up in the pasture that does what the four-wheeler does. And the horse really does not cost anything to maintain, providing you've got the land. That's the difference. The land produces a living, spare and hard as it is, and money just augments what the land does mainly.

A half acre garden will feed a family of 6, supplemented with raised beef, pork, and chicken... and that augmented by browse, trapping and hunting from the wild. You can eat just fine.

But it's the flour, salt, sugar, ice cream and Cheetos, that are found only with money. Gasoline and taxes... Tractor parts... But even so, money, while necessary, spent for things you cannot do for yourself, remains supplemental in the big picture.

I live in a 1150 ft2 2bdrm 1 bath cabin. Paid for. My pantry is full, and my freezer is full. There's better than four cords of wood in the shed. all paid for. There are tanks down at the farm, full of gasoline and diesel. Paid for. I owe nothing in credit, my bills are normally paid 3 months forward, and I owe nothing, outside of the family.

My taxes are around 1500 yr, my utilities are roughly 300/mo. Most months other than winter, I can probably break even on 300/mo, without gas and groceries... But gas and groceries don't figure in a short term, because I have so much laying around. Because of that, I can not only eat, but operate with in reason, for a long long time once the money dries up. YES, all that needs to be put back in store, but not until I have a fair bet of weathering the hard times,

And that allows me to be very opportunistic during downturns. I just went through hella bad times since hunting season started. Business was at a trickle before that since covid started, but since the beginning of fall, it has been a hard scrabble to break even month to month. I have done everything BUT my normal work, any which way I can.

And it served me. I just hit the mother lode - A very rich month, And I don't know why. It just is.
I am 'behind' on my tax budget, and I am 'behind' on the utilities being paid three months forward, The gas tank at the ranch is down to a third and has to get topped. But I actually gained in food - Game and fish have kept me even or ahead through the whole time, even though I have been eating into my pantry and using up canned goods.

Everything that I was low on will be replaced in early march.

So Ramsey is still right in theory and in practice. It is eminently possible to live inside your means. Providing one is capable of being unplugged from the system, as much as possible, then systemic problems can be weathered.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

You just can't help some people. Especially the ones who only live for the moment of instant gratification.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.