Author Topic: NBC's Mitchell apologizes after wrongly correcting Cruz Shakespeare reference  (Read 229 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

NBC's Mitchell apologizes after wrongly correcting Cruz Shakespeare reference

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/538353-msnbcs-mitchell-apologizes-after-wrongly-correcting-cruz-shakespeare-reference

NBC’s Andrea Mitchell on Wednesday apologized for wrongly correcting Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) about the source of the quote “full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”
The quote “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing” appears in the fifth act of Shakespeare’s “Macbeth.” William Faulkner’s 1929 Southern Gothic novel derives its title from the quote.

“I clearly studied too much American literature and not enough Macbeth. My apologies to Sen. Cruz,” Mitchell said in a follow-up tweet, after numerous tweets correcting her.

I will readily admit not knowing which Shakespeare play was the source of the quote (I would have guessed "Hamlet"), but that it was Shakespearean I did/do know. How can a major MSM figure not know and publicly wrongly "correct" a pol she disdains? Writing is not my profession, but the ignorance and ineptitude of modern journalists is getting to be appalling.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline bilo

You would think at some point the leftists would recognize Cruz is very bright and always has a solid understanding of what he is talking about.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online mountaineer

I will readily admit not knowing which Shakespeare play was the source of the quote (I would have guessed "Hamlet"), but that it was Shakespearean I did/do know. How can a major MSM figure not know and publicly wrongly "correct" a pol she disdains? Writing is not my profession, but the ignorance and ineptitude of modern journalists is getting to be appalling.
Given her advanced age, one might assume she had a pretty good education, too. She's just downright stupid.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
You would think at some point the leftists would recognize Cruz is very bright and always has a solid understanding of what he is talking about.

Cruz is brilliant; he is very well educated and won several debate championships while at Princeton. After Princeton he graduated from Harvard magna cum laude.  In addition he has an audiographic memory so it is very difficult to trip him up.

He has a very interesting background, I highly suggest if you haven't read his book "A Time for Truth" to do so.  A very interesting read and he reveals why he and Mitch are such good buddies (not).
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
I forgot my MacBeth 40 years ago, I readily admit I would not have made the connection.

Hearing Cruz say "Shakespeare" and "sound and fury", I would have USED THE INTERNET to verify the connection before shooting off my mouth on the matter, though.

Andrea Mitchell has always been one to demonstrate that dogs are smarter than some people.  And my huskies are prettier than she is, too.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It is a tale told by an idiot.  Man. So many Idiots in the MSM,  who has time to count them all
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.